Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I think I gained 5 pounds at the Food & Wine Festival - An Oct 2012 TR **NEW 3/18**

Hi everyone! For those who know me & all about my trip, welcome! For those who don't know me, welcome and click here if you'd like to read my PTR & learn a little bit about me. I just came back from Disney World last Monday night This trip was over a year in the making and I can't believe it's come & gone. Our trip was in celebration of my 30th birthday and we had a great time sans some grumpiness due to heat and crowds. (Wasn't me!) We stayed for 8 nights at AKL Jambo and although that seems like a long time, it flew by! I'm (slowly) getting over my post-Disney blues and am ready to start my TR. So here we go!

Chapter 1 - We're going to Long Island!
Chapter 2 - We've Arrived!
Chapter 3 - It's Really Not So Scary...
Chapter 4 - Jambo!
Chapter 5 - Around the World in 7 Hours
Chapter 6 - Wocka Wocka Wocka!
Chapter 7 - That Cupcake is the Size of My Head
Chapter 8 -Fun in the...Where's the Sun?
Chapter 9 - Asante Sana plus Ohana!
Chapter 10 - Hey, is that Mufasa or Simba?
Chapter 11 - Rain Rain Go Away!
Chapter 12 - Birthday Breakfast!
Chapter 13 - All the Birds Sing Words and the Flowers Croon...
Chapter 14 - People Call Me Forrest Gump...
Chapter 15 - Top of the Mornin To Ya!
Chapter 16 - This is a Standard View??
Chpater 17 - Wasting Away Again at ESPN Zone...
Chapter 18 - Why is Soarin so Popular?
Chapter 19 - Backstage Magic?
Chapter 20 - Now It's Time to Say Goodbye...
Chapter 21 - Photopass Pictures
Chapter 22 - Likes & Dislikes

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP

Last edited by jenny105; 03-18-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
jenny105
DIS Veteran

We're off to Long Island...

Long Island? Yes, you read the title of this post correctly. We are from NJ and Newark airport is only a 10 minute drive BUT we had 25,000 Southwest points to use. That meant I could score free flights to Orlando from MacArthur Airport out on the Island of Long. Our flight was Sunday, 9/30, at 11:25 am. Rather than make that trek the morning of the flight we drove out Saturday and stayed in a Courtyard nearby.

We were both off from work that Saturday so it marked the official start of vacation. We slept in and ran a whole bunch of errands. Seriously, we kept leaving and coming back to the house so much, I was starting to get annoyed. I just wanted to GO already! Kris figured out THAT DAY that his luggage was broken and we had to run to Target to get a new suitcase for him. I had spares but they're beat up and he didn't want to use them. So he spent $100 before we even GOT to Disney. At least he has a brand new suitcase for our next trip!

I think we finally left around 2 or 3. We have to cross two bridges - the Goethals and Verrazano - to get to Long Island. The Goethals puts you in Staten Island which can be driven through in oh, about 15 minutes. It's that big. We wanted to check out Big Ang's bar (we love her!) on the way through and we found it but...it looked a little shady so we kept driving! There was a 3 car accident on the Verrazano so we hit some traffic but after that there was no traffic in site. We made it to the Courtyard around 5:30.

We checked in, no problems, got our King room & freshened up. There were two restaurants within walking distance - Red Lobster & Smokey Bones. Kris doesn't like seafood so we picked Smokey Bones. I'd never heard of the place before this trip and I wish they had one in NJ! That place was awesome! There was a little bit of a wait so we sat at the bar until we were called. I got the most delicious beer I've ever had - pumpkin ale with a cinnamon rim and vanilla vodka shot.

Yum! When we were sat we ordered nachos as an appetizer, Kris ordered a burger, and I got sirloin topped with bleu cheese. Everything was great!

After dinner, Kris wanted to watch the Wisconsin/Nebraska football game. He's a Packers fan and he's taken an interest in Wisconsin's team over the past couple years. Yes, he was born and raised in NJ. I don't understand it either. We had a couple drinks from the Courtyard's bar as we watched the game in the lobby/lounge area.

The first official picture of the trip hanging out watching football.

After the game we took a quick dip in the indoor pool and then it was off to bed. We were going to Disney World in the morning!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

FIRST!

lol And here I lost 5 lbs during our trip!

Can't wait to read all about your trip! It was awesome to get to meet you even if it was a quick one!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

I'm in! We're leaving in 5 days and I absolutely CAN NOT WAIT for the Food & Wine Festival! It's my favorite time to go. Can't wait to read more
Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Yay for starting your TR!!!! Can't wait to hear about AKL!!!

As soon as we can plan another trip, I'll start my TR
Time to go for Christmas! Dec '12 PTR
TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009
Old 10-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
pattiken
Mouseketeer

joining in

me , DH , DS 16 , DD 11

universal studios..hard rock hotel 2012 trip report...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002065
7 days disney at staying at SSR...ongoing report sep 2012http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3008157
Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLassell View Post
FIRST!

lol And here I lost 5 lbs during our trip!

Can't wait to read all about your trip! It was awesome to get to meet you even if it was a quick one!
We just kept eating! We were always full and hardly every hungry but we just kept shoving it in because we had the dining plan.

It was awesome meeting you too! I still can't believe you found me considering how crowded Main Street was that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
I'm in! We're leaving in 5 days and I absolutely CAN NOT WAIT for the Food & Wine Festival! It's my favorite time to go. Can't wait to read more
I'm jealous! I wish I were going back. I hope you have a great trip and enjoy the F&W festival! It's fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaluvsgoofy View Post
Yay for starting your TR!!!! Can't wait to hear about AKL!!!
Hi Amanda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiken View Post
joining in
Welcome!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Bethislucy
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a fun TR
Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

its about time, just kidding.

woo hoo made the first page,

okay actually read the update now...

that drink does sound pretty good i bet candi would like it, she loves the fall type drinks.

i like your title and know what you mean about being able to just use a snack credit and get "free" food. was very nice.

looking forward to more and to see what you guys ate.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I'm here!! Can't wait to read all about your trip!!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
raraavis
Mouseketeer

looking forward to your report!

but i do have a question (and please don't take this the wrong way; i am simply curious). why would you go all the way to long island just to use your points? aren't you paying more than you would if you just booked another airline since you have to pay tolls, pay for gas, and pay for a hotel room (not to mention the extra time it all takes)? i use southwest points too, but i always fly out of newark. i would never ever drive all the way to long island just to use airline points. we actually ended up booking jetblue for our upcoming trip and paying out of pocket (only $200 per person!) because southwest doesn't fly nonstop from newark. is that why you booked at an airport in long island, because southwest out of newark would have been a crazy 8 hour flight with layovers? i do hate how southwest doesn't have direct and nonstop flights out of newark. i have 56,000 points to use, but we still chose jetblue. actually, i only have 28,000 left since i just booked christmas trip to vegas.

sorry to go off topic! i am just curious.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Excited to read more!!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethislucy View Post
Sounds like a fun TR
It will be! Hope you stick with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
its about time, just kidding.

woo hoo made the first page,

okay actually read the update now...

that drink does sound pretty good i bet candi would like it, she loves the fall type drinks.

i like your title and know what you mean about being able to just use a snack credit and get "free" food. was very nice.

looking forward to more and to see what you guys ate.
It's only been a week! lol

We ate a lot! We probably didn't even need to make ADRs for our Epcot days. I felt like the whole trip revolved around eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I'm here!! Can't wait to read all about your trip!!
Yay! Glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raraavis View Post
looking forward to your report!

but i do have a question (and please don't take this the wrong way; i am simply curious). why would you go all the way to long island just to use your points? aren't you paying more than you would if you just booked another airline since you have to pay tolls, pay for gas, and pay for a hotel room (not to mention the extra time it all takes)? i use southwest points too, but i always fly out of newark. i would never ever drive all the way to long island just to use airline points. we actually ended up booking jetblue for our upcoming trip and paying out of pocket (only $200 per person!) because southwest doesn't fly nonstop from newark. is that why you booked at an airport in long island, because southwest out of newark would have been a crazy 8 hour flight with layovers? i do hate how southwest doesn't have direct and nonstop flights out of newark. i have 56,000 points to use, but we still chose jetblue. actually, i only have 28,000 left since i just booked christmas trip to vegas.

sorry to go off topic! i am just curious.
No direct flights on SW out of EWR was one of the reasons, yes. When I was looking at airfare for Newark it was at least $230 each roundtrip. We definitely saved money by flying out of ISP and using our points. One tank of gas and bridge tolls don't break the bank and I'm a TA so I got the hotel room for $50. Plus we didn't have to pay for parking at the airport because our hotel had a free shuttle. I think flying out of ISP and using our SW points cost us around $200-$250 total vs flying out of Newark & spending $450-$500 total. Plus baggage fees if we flew United. I hate United! It definitely worked out in our favor even though it was a bit of a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
I'm here! Excited to read more!!
Yay!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

Oh, and I'm not typically one to drink beer but that pumpkin ale sounds A-MAZING!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

Looking forward to reading more about your trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: