Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

Is the poly worth it for first time onsite??

I am booked at poly and am wondering if I should save the money and just go down to the CBR for our two day stay.
The package difference is 400 bucks....is the poly worth that?? I like the monorail idea for three kids but wondering if that is worth that?
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am booked at poly and am wondering if I should save the money and just go down to the CBR for our two day stay.
The package difference is 400 bucks....is the poly worth that?? I like the monorail idea for three kids but wondering if that is worth that?
Two days is a short trip so I think the convenience of the Poly will really help utilize your time better. I'm guessing you'll probably spend a good amount of time at MK since you have 3 kids so the boat and monorail transportation will be so nice.
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I sense you are having some issues with this decision.

I would say that given that you are taking a shorter trip, the Poly would be great for the quicker transportation, and the heftier price tag is easier to swallow for a shorter amount of nights than an extended stay. We tend to like to stay for 10-11 days and paying for the Poly that long is

FWIW, we did not really like CBR when we stayed there. We would love to try the Poly someday, but again, because of the length of our stays, it's just too big of a price tag and we really don't want to do a split stay.

I would stick with the Poly if I were you.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Having stated at Poly twice I'd say yes b/c of its very close proximity to the parks. Now worth is different to everyone. Do you plan on spending most of your time in the parks only to sleep and shower at your resort than no it's not worth it.

If you plan on taking mid day breaks then yes b/c you'll drastically cut your travel time affording you more time at the park or in your mid day break..

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
princessap
DIS Veteran

I am torn

I am really torn on this decision...I know the monorail will be easier and fastest to use which will be great for our BBB appt at 830 pre park opening. we have ADRs booked and the ddp would be great for us, problem is we already have tickets so I dont really want to buy fix and I have to to get DDP.

I was thinking for cheaper I could get the package at CBR and use tickets at another visit.

We are only there two days and arrival day I planned on hanging out at the resort, swimming etc. and dinner at Ohanas or 1900 park fare. Day 2 MK and then check out day, breakfast at CM or Ohanas and swim and get late check out as flight is later in afternoon. I have read the Poly is a great resort to hang out at.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I have visions of our first onsite stay being perfect and maybe I am making high expectations....I envision watching fireworks on the beach and the water parade that night!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am really torn on this decision...I know the monorail will be easier and fastest to use which will be great for our BBB appt at 830 pre park opening. we have ADRs booked and the ddp would be great for us, problem is we already have tickets so I dont really want to buy fix and I have to to get DDP.

I was thinking for cheaper I could get the package at CBR and use tickets at another visit.

We are only there two days and arrival day I planned on hanging out at the resort, swimming etc. and dinner at Ohanas or 1900 park fare. Day 2 MK and then check out day, breakfast at CM or Ohanas and swim and get late check out as flight is later in afternoon. I have read the Poly is a great resort to hang out at.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I have visions of our first onsite stay being perfect and maybe I am making high expectations....I envision watching fireworks on the beach and the water parade that night!
I would say that you should give some consideration to WL!!! It is an amazing resort, with boat service to MK (along with a 5 minute, non shared bus ride), and at a much lower price tag!!! Plus everything is all in one building, and if you get a woods view room, you could get a view of Wishes from your balcony with the right request...It is super easy to get to the monorail from WL as well...you just take the boat to CR and hop on from there!

And, you get a great view of the EWP from WL, along with the very cool geyser!!! On our last trip, we spent 2 whole days just hanging out in the lodge!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

How old are your kids? I think that makes a difference too. If you have any stroller aged,or preschool age,proximity is definitely important.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
princessap
DIS Veteran

I priced out WL and there is only a 90 dollar difference. I must admit I don't have any desire to stay there. i hear people rave about it, but it reminds me of great wolf lodge and being from Canada reminds me of places I should be skiing. LOL.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeisler View Post
How old are your kids? I think that makes a difference too. If you have any stroller aged,or preschool age,proximity is definitely important.
Our girls will be 8 months, 4 and 5 years old at the time of the trip/
Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Having stated at Poly twice I'd say yes b/c of its very close proximity to the parks. Now worth is different to everyone. Do you plan on spending most of your time in the parks only to sleep and shower at your resort than no it's not worth it.

If you plan on taking mid day breaks then yes b/c you'll drastically cut your travel time affording you more time at the park or in your mid day break..

We plan on enjoying the resort on arrival and departure day and doing MK the day in between!
We have BBB at 845 pre opening and I think Poly would be great for that.
I LOVE the idea of my girls seeing the castle in the pool and watching the fireworks from the beach as they love fireworks!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Sounds like it will be worth it for your family then!! It's my favorite resort wish I was staying there in Dec but I'm grateful we are even going again!

ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Tinkmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was already voting for the Polynesian, but considering the ages of your children I would MOST DEFINITELY stay there. It's close, in case you need to run back to room for nap or left item, it's an amazing resort to hang out at, and especially for a first trip, it's gonna make some wonderful memories.

Do it. Polynesian.
Tinkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap

It's definitely worth it! Proximity to the MK,and being able to wheel the stroller right on the monorail is very convenient!
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at both the Poly and CBR, the $400 difference is definitely worth it for the Poly . We loved CBR and had a great stay, but the Poly is just amazing in every way and has become our favorite resort. The tropical atmosphere is beautiful, being so close to MK via the monorail is very convenient, having a distant view of the castle from just about anywhere on the poly grounds (especially from the pool) is magical, and having the beach for watching the fireworks is relaxing . I would keep the Poly not only for the convenience of getting to MK, but for the beautiful surroundings, larger room, the pool, and the beach .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
princessap
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone!
For our arrival day and departure day (seeing as it is a quick two night stay, but now hearing all you rave about it I wish it was longer!!)....what would you suggest?
I have Ohanas booked for dinner on our arrival day and was planning on getting there early in the morning to enjoy the resort and explore. How early can we use the resort??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: