Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
StephMK
DIS Veteran

DD has listened and is following those guidlelines in college for the most part. She realizes what potential risks there are and how they might affect her future.

I did not know where my DD was many times her senior year. She'd tell me where she was going but at age, they can pretty much go/do anything and you have to trust them at that point.

If the parents weren't going to be home, how did they get the alcohol? There was a story here last weekend when an 18yo was at a party and either the teenage host's parents bought the alcohol or knew it would be there. The kid crashed his car and died on his way home and the host parents are being charged with either contributing or providing, not sure.

It was interesting because the parents of the deceased are friends w/the host parents and did not want them charged. They said their son made his own decisions. Not sure how it will play out but I was slightly surprised at their reaction.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
High school kids with beer? Oh noes! Heh.

Who knows exactly what parties/where their h.s. senior is every minute?

Would I care if a high schooler went to a party with booze? Not at all. Would I care if a high schooler went to a party with booze that was likely to get busted by cops out in some rural house? I'd care they were dumb.

I don't see how this would affect someone's whole life unless we're talking about people driving drunk, that's an entirely, entirely different matter.
MTE!

Man have times changed since the late 80's! I can't think of a single person I knew in high school who actually asked permission to go to a kegger at a friend's house. That's blows my mind...
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Would I be happy about it? Nope, but she also has to make her own decisions and as long as she knows the consequences, they are her mistakes to make and own. She has, so far, avoided these types of parties and drinking but I don't fool myself that that will be the case for long. And, in all honesty, I'm hoping she learns to navigate these types of situations while she's still in high school and not for the first time when she gets to college. Being an only child of a mother who has always been overprotective (I'm working on it! ) I've come to realize I've done her a great disservice by avoiding all the uncomfortable situations I can. She may very well be ill equipped to deal with these types of things if her first foray into partying is college.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
Pipkin
Mouseketeer

I would bet that that particular party didn't limit guests to "just 18 year olds" on their way to college. Many 18 year olds have 16 and 17 year old friends, who have 14 and 15 year old friends, so it isn't just "mature" teens drinking, its their, immature, very underage friends crashing the party as well.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

A party like that here would be a total non event.

However, I guess things are different in the U.S. with it being illegal and everything.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
Pipkin
Mouseketeer

I heard of a situation that occurred in the last two years in which a party goer drowned as a result of being drunk. Not only was the boat owner sued but every person on the boat was because they couldn't save him, despite making very vigorous attempts. (he jumped in the water). Will the victim's estate win? They won a judgement from the boat owner, which was expected. It is unknown if they will win from the other passengers but each of those passengers must go through the stress and expense of an attorney. All were college age.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
It's 21 in the US.
I know.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #23
npstudent2012
Earning My Ears

Meh, when I grew up, that is all we did on the weekends was go to parties and drink (and drugs). Nothing else to do. Heck, my mom even bought the alcohol for my friends and I from the time we were 13. Most parents knew what we were doing. And it didn't ruin my life, I am now a Nurse Practitioner.
When my kids are in high school and want to go to a party, I just want them to know to not get in a car with people under the influence.
npstudent2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Would I LET my child go to a party like this....heck no.
BUT I remember going to plenty of parties like this in HS. I never said where I was going so I am sure if one of my children went I am sure they wouldn't admit to it either
I don't think the party is what I have the problem with but is my child going to remember all the conversations we had about drinking and worse then drinking calling us instead of getting into a car with someone who had been driving.

I don't remember the question now that I wrote this and read through the thread
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh O. Grams View Post
MTE!

Man have times changed since the late 80's! I can't think of a single person I knew in high school who actually asked permission to go to a kegger at a friend's house. That's blows my mind...
Me too...that was the first thing that popped in my mind. We never asked so we were never told no.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
MTE!

I know (except my time was the early 90s )!

I spent some quality time at parties during my high school years. Everything turned out ok. I knew the rules about drinking and driving. We usually just crashed we were partying or had a DD. I never asked permission, just said I was sleeping over so and so's house.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #27
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Quote:
MTE!

Thank you - I swear I live in an alternate universe sometimes.

No, I would not "let" my boys go to a party like that, but I fully believe that they WOULD in a heartbeat. All I can do is stalk, spy, lecture and pray.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #28
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
No way my kids would go to one of these parties. I didn't ever go to one of these parties. If I was at a party and alcohol came out, I left. My daughter had better do the same.
It's not that it was a party with alcohol. It was that it was going to be a BIG party with alcohol that was likely to get busted by the cops. She goes to parties. There might be alcohol. There might not be alcohol. (I kinda go with DADT, even though I already most likely know. She overshares sometimes.) All I ask of her is to be smart. No drinkining and driving, no letting her friends drive if they've been drinking, etc. and I'm always just a phone call away! They chose not to go to that particular party because of the potential for the cops to show up, not because alcohol was going to be there.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #29
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

a few years ago our city had a "one punch death" at an underage party. a fight between two boys over who knows what, one punch, one kid gets hit, falls and dies.
now this can happen regardless if the parents are home or the kids are older, but it's a good topic to discuss with your kids.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
High school kids with beer? Oh noes! Heh.

Who knows exactly what parties/where their h.s. senior is every minute?

Would I care if a high schooler went to a party with booze? Not at all. Would I care if a high schooler went to a party with booze that was likely to get busted by cops out in some rural house? I'd care they were dumb.

I don't see how this would affect someone's whole life unless we're talking about people driving drunk, that's an entirely, entirely different matter.
I really have to say, I see multiple people on this thread who say that their kid would never ever go to a party like this. Uhm, you sure about that? I would say it's kind of a normal experience to attend at least one. I'm not saying they have to get drunk, or would even drink at all, and I'm not saying they would try drugs, but really? You're going to assume that they will never ever go to one of these? Just because they don't tell you, doesn't mean they're not doing it.

I wasn't a big drinker in high school, never did drugs and my parents knew that. Granted, my family is from the UK, and were more lax on the age limit thing, so I was never really tempted by it. If I really wanted to have a beer, I could have one with my brother while we barbequed out back. And when we had parties at my school, everyone slept there. We would normally camp out, the sheriff or forestry service would swing by in the morning and clear us out.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: