Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
LowesChevy
The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize

Via Napoli---dinner September 26th

By the same folks that operate Tutto Italia, Via Napoli opened in 2010 adding another large restaurant to the World Showcase. Again, like Tutto, it is a little more on the pricey side- it is a 3rd party restaurant group so I am not sure what the agreement is between them. Just be prepared to pay more than your favorite pizza shop charges for a pie or a plate of pasta. On the menu with their signature wood fired Napoletana pizzas are a number of appetizers, salads, parmignanas and pasta dishes which also baked in Vesuvio, Stromboli and Etna. Have not ventured too far into the menu because this was only our second visit, but there will be more in the future for sure.

It was crazy busy when we arrived at 7:00 PM. In fact a CM was going through the line checking to see if people had adrs, otherwise guests were being turned away because the place was booked solid. Only like the 3rd time I have heard this spiel on this supposedly less than crowded week! Finally made it to the check in and we were seated around our actual adr time, so not too bad-maybe a 15 minute wait. We were seated behind the communal table right the by kitchen and busy walk way. Plenty of entertainment watching the servers almost take each other out every few minutes or so. This place has a lot of energy and noise, so do not expect a quiet evening.

Light sculpture in foyer

Menu

Krizia soon came over to greet us and take our drink order. Just stuck with water to watch my carbs-especially with pizza and lots of it! Krizia was from Turin, in the northern part of Italy, where recently the 2006 Winter Olympics were held. She was a very pleasant young woman and checked back with us frequently. We ordered up a couple of pies and a pollo salad to share to start. A salad with romaine, chicken, cucumber, peppers, toasted almonds, fried wontons and a honey citrus vinaigrette. The dressing tasted a little different this year, but still very tasty and enough for 5 to share maybe!

The pizza arrived: a large pie with sausage and an individual size with cotto ham and mushrooms. The crust was slightly burned on the sausage pie-must have been a bit close to the fire, but we ate around it of course. The crust is chewy yet crusty from the wood fire oven. I love this type of pizza with a thinner crust and fresh ingredients on board. I like Pizza Hut and Papa John’s, but when you want something different and made from the freshest ingredients, this is the way to go.

sausage pie

ham and 'shroom

Some zeppole di ricotta for dessert and we made the evening. They will wrap up your leftover pie too!

photo from last year-same item

Despite the noise, Via Napoli has become a new favorite. The food and service has been great. There was always someone filling water or taking plates as the table filled. A definite for next year!

5 Stars-excellent
LowesChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
LowesChevy
The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize

Contempo Café-lunch September 27th

Contempo Café-lunch September 27th

Originally today was going to feature lunch at Sci-fi and dinner at Teppan Edo, but after my brother and sister in law decided to join us, I had to cancel our plans. We ended up going to the airport to pick up my brother and nephew after spending the morning at DHS and when we got back to BLT-there was a hungry 2 ½ year old. We went right to Contempo Café to order up some lunch on the fly.

The menu is pretty good-a variety of hot and cold sandwiches and salads along with a few flatbreads. The one thing I would like to see are some tapas or small appetizer type choices on the menu for snacking, since I do not always want a sandwich or burger. But I suppose the dining plan influences the menu offerings, limiting the menu to simple snacks and whole entrees for simplification.

Le view

My nephew and mother opted for an Uncrustables while my brother, father and I ordered sandwiches. My brothers spice crusted mahi was good, he wasn’t a huge fan of the slaw, but other than that no gripes. The turkey BLT was good as well and my hot turkey sandwich was tasty. It was a huge sandwich that I could barely finish, but my brother managed to polish off my French fries as well as his meal.

hot turkey!

We didn’t wait too long for the food and overall it was pleasant experience, wouldn’t mind coming back for a quick meal.

Thumb up-good, not bad, no major complaints
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

Wonderful reviews and pictures. Thank you!
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

I'm late, but in!
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
t_daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowesChevy

By the same folks that operate Tutto Italia, Via Napoli opened in 2010 adding another large restaurant to the World Showcase. Again, like Tutto, it is a little more on the pricey side- it is a 3rd party restaurant group so I am not sure what the agreement is between them. Just be prepared to pay more than your favorite pizza shop charges for a pie or a plate of pasta. On the menu with their signature wood fired Napoletana pizzas are a number of appetizers, salads, parmignanas and pasta dishes which also baked in Vesuvio, Stromboli and Etna. Have not ventured too far into the menu because this was only our second visit, but there will be more in the future for sure.

It was crazy busy when we arrived at 7:00 PM. In fact a CM was going through the line checking to see if people had adrs, otherwise guests were being turned away because the place was booked solid. Only like the 3rd time I have heard this spiel on this supposedly less than crowded week! Finally made it to the check in and we were seated around our actual adr time, so not too bad-maybe a 15 minute wait. We were seated behind the communal table right the by kitchen and busy walk way. Plenty of entertainment watching the servers almost take each other out every few minutes or so. This place has a lot of energy and noise, so do not expect a quiet evening.

Light sculpture in foyer

Menu

Krizia soon came over to greet us and take our drink order. Just stuck with water to watch my carbs-especially with pizza and lots of it! Krizia was from Turin, in the northern part of Italy, where recently the 2006 Winter Olympics were held. She was a very pleasant young woman and checked back with us frequently. We ordered up a couple of pies and a pollo salad to share to start. A salad with romaine, chicken, cucumber, peppers, toasted almonds, fried wontons and a honey citrus vinaigrette. The dressing tasted a little different this year, but still very tasty and enough for 5 to share maybe!

The pizza arrived: a large pie with sausage and an individual size with cotto ham and mushrooms. The crust was slightly burned on the sausage pie-must have been a bit close to the fire, but we ate around it of course. The crust is chewy yet crusty from the wood fire oven. I love this type of pizza with a thinner crust and fresh ingredients on board. I like Pizza Hut and Papa John’s, but when you want something different and made from the freshest ingredients, this is the way to go.

sausage pie

ham and 'shroom

Some zeppole di ricotta for dessert and we made the evening. They will wrap up your leftover pie too!

photo from last year-same item

Despite the noise, Via Napoli has become a new favorite. The food and service has been great. There was always someone filling water or taking plates as the table filled. A definite for next year!

5 Stars-excellent
Reading this makes me want to cry.

I miss Via.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
LowesChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariep26 View Post
Wonderful reviews and pictures. Thank you!
thanks! no problem-glad you joined me
Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
LowesChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
Reading this makes me want to cry.

I miss Via.
OMG-it is so good! We love it too

We live in an area suffering from good pizza drought and this is my idea of good 'za.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
t_daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowesChevy

OMG-it is so good! We love it too

We live in an area suffering from good pizza drought and this is my idea of good 'za.
Sigh. Nothing like it here.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

I'm loving your reviews. We were there Oct. 4-14 and ate at Via Napoli & Raglan Road too. Our new favorite was Kouzzina for breakfast. Keep up the reviews.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
LowesChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from Michigan View Post
I'm loving your reviews. We were there Oct. 4-14 and ate at Via Napoli & Raglan Road too. Our new favorite was Kouzzina for breakfast. Keep up the reviews.
Thanks Ron! We are panning on staying at the Beach Club next year, so I may have to scope out Kouzzina-thanks for the suggestion. Hope you had a lovely trip too!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
LowesChevy

Wolfgang Puck Cafe

Wolfgang Puck Café-dinner September 27th

Since my brother didn’t want to take Nick to the parks before my sister in law arrived, we decided to head to DTD for some fun and dining. It was pouring rain when we arrived, so I made a b-line for Wolfgang Puck Café. What I love about WPC is that the menu seems to offer something for everybody-pasta, pizza, awesome sushi, hearty entrees, appetizers etc. It would be difficult to leave here hungry! It is also a large restaurant and scoring a walk in was quite easy thankfully. Otherwise I suppose we could have dined at Bongos, but I wanted sushi most of all.

There were people waiting for the rain to subside and it only took a few minutes to ready a table for us 5. It was great we basically walked in and the place was busy at the time. Our server came right over to take our drink orders and get my nephew’s order taken. He didn’t eat much, but we boxed his leftovers up for later. He seemed to be more interested in sitting on Grandma’s lap during the meal, but he was just a little tired from traveling no doubt.

I had an order of spicy tuna roll to start and pizza because I love my pizza if you haven’t noticed! My brother and father both ordered the burger and were pleased. The pizza was good, simple and plain with fresh ingredients. I think I still like Via Napoli better though! Grandma had pasta with beef Bolognese and could barely finish it, very good.

Photos are a little grainy with the iPhone in the dark! Now I know
Bolognese

Pizza

The service was great, our waiter really loved interacting with my nephew. It was sweet, and it comes with the territory of being a server in DW haha. The food was delicious and overall a positive experience for all of us.

After dinner we walked down to Curl for find some new sandals for my brother. As we made our way back there was a gentleman playing a didgeridoo among other instruments. We dropped into Haagen Dazs for some dessert and enjoyed the music for a while. It was time to head back and put the little guy to bed and pick up my sister in law later that evening.

4 Stars-good
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
LowesChevy

Wave Breakfast-5 mornings

Wave Breakfast-5 mornings

This is a hidden gem and had we not become DVC members-we may have never tried it. Residing where the former Fiesta Food & Fun Center/Fun Center, the Wave opened up a few years ago as an all day restaurant. Eventually I would like to try lunch and dinner too. The Wave offers not only an a la carte menu with their signature sweet potato pancakes, multigrain French toast, omelets and eggs Benedict, but also a lovely buffet for breakfast. Along with some more health conscious entrée choices are some nutrient packed juices and organic coffees and teas.

Bar area

The buffet selections include Mickey waffles, hash browns, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese grits, bread pudding, fresh fruit, pastries, oatmeal bar with brown sugar and raisins , smoked salmon and fixings, and biscuits and sausage gravy. It is a great selection-here are some photographs from last year. The biscuits and sausage gravy is a big hit for us especially my nephew. You can also toast your own bagel and bread as well. The smoked salmon area has your cream cheese, capers, red onion, cottage cheese for lighter fare. It is a great selection without the character buffet price.

If you are looking to go with the a la carte menu, I highly recommend multigrain waffle or the simple ham and cheese omelet. The egg dishes are served with roasted red potatoes with finely diced bell peppers and onions. While the griddle or sweet dishes have choice of breakfast meat accompaniment. The one dish that I did not care for was the eggs Benedict, which I love, but they smother them in key lime hollandaise. It is a little too potent for my tastes.

Multigrain waffle

If you are looking for a big breakfast to start your day or change from the eggs and bacon routine consider the Wave!

4 Stars- good
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
LowesChevy

Captain Cooks-Friday 28th Lunch

Captain Cooks-Friday 28th Lunch

This was a last minute convenience choice, it’s kind of complicated, but you can read the story in my BLT Review below. Not that I mind Captain Cooks, but it was prime time lunch time and it was a mad house!

Nick and Gramdma ordered grilled cheese, while I went for the Hawaiian flatbread. I know I eat a lot of pizza and my dad eats a lot of cheese! The other three ordered the pork nachos. We were waiting for our room to be ready, so the wait wasn’t eating into our day very much. The buzzer went off in a reasonable amount of time and retrieved our goodies. The flatbread was a good change from a burger or other sandwich with fries. I could barely finish the entire serving, so it is a generous portion in my opinion. I try to be careful about how much I eat at once too, but by no means do I starve myself, don’t get me wrong lol.

The trio thought the nachos were a bit on the sweet side and not as savory as they would have liked, plus the toppings are on the skimpy side. The grilled cheese sandwiches were good, no complaints there.

A busy place at meal times, it is easy to see CC’s a favorite for guests to visit. The menu offers a smaller selection of sandwiches, flatbreads and just two entrees. With the exception of the fish of the day, after breakfast the rest of the menu is offered all day till 11:00 PM. Breakfast choices include world famous Tonga Toast, Mickey waffle, breakfast sandwich, bounty platter, pastries and cereal. You can always pop in for cold items like Uncrustables, yogurt, fruit or veggie packs, cereal, milk, a selection of pastries ad muffins, adult beverages and don’t forget Dole Whips! Gone are the hot dogs and chicken strips, but a bacon cheeseburger, chicken sandwich, pulled pork sandwich and adult grilled cheese are the new stand bys.

Sorry, but I haven’t any pictures to show you all! It’s weird-we usually stop by every year. I will be sure to snap some next year.
Thumb up-good, not bad, no major complaints
Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #29
LowesChevy

California Grill-Friday 28th Dinner

California Grill-Friday 28th Dinner

I nabbed an early adr for California Grill because one we have the little guy and two, we have had back luck here waiting long periods of time for a table with later reservations. The check in line was long, but we checked in after a few minutes and hopped in the elevator with the host. We were seated immediately and started to relax. We had a less than typical day so our nerves were pretty fried.

Our server came over and introduced himself and took our drink order. My brother picked a bottle of wine, but I stuck with water. The beverages arrived after we had placed our order and we enjoyed the view. It was lovely night over the World, just a little cloudy. My dad and Nick went to check out the observation deck view for a closer look.

Our appetizers arrived-I tried the lobster BLT. The lobster was perfectly cooked and tender, but the caper avocado tower was in the salty side. My dad ended up having a triple cheese flatbread for his appetizer and this appetizer for dinner. Unfortunately he probably would have changed his mind because he had the same complaint. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn’t spectacular either. Should have ordered the sushi right?! I did take some great photos of the dish though!

We were all craving beef and despite going to Le Cellier for dinner the next day, I said bring on the filet. Sorry no picture, we were ravenous when they arrived! Very tender and flavorful and normally I stick to ribeyes or strips for a more flavorful beef, but these were mighty fine.

The service could have been a little better, there were long periods of time when he was absent. In general the food was good and the service decent. It will be interesting to see what the new concept will be come this spring. The California Grill is very popular, but it ain’t what it used to be in terms of food and service unfortunately.

3 Stars-average

Last edited by LowesChevy; 10-22-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
LowesChevy

Kona Breakfast x 2

Kona Breakfast x 2

You have probably heard the epic tales of Tonga Toast or Macadamia nut pineapple pancakes if cruise the boards frequently. While O’Hana is the more popular choice for breakfast at the Polynesian, Kona Café is near the top as well. Previously the space was occupied by the Coral Isle Café-now if you remember that place-you remember the old Polynesian before the major rehab in 1998!

In the midst of the busy bustling Great Ceremonial House, Kona Café on the second floor opposite Samoa Snacks & Trader Jack’s. The restaurant is only separated from the lobby by a wrought iron rail. Guests can enjoy the passing crowds and views of the monorails whizzing by on the track. I personally feel it is too loud sometimes, especially with the crowds from O’Hana and KC in the GCH at any given time. However come breakfast, lunch or dinner, Kona Café is a popular place and do make adrs if you are visiting at a busier time of year.

Start your morning off with Kona blend coffee! You will be sip happy if you
are not a fan of the Nescafe products, which do not bother me, but then again was never a coffee drinker till a couple of years ago. You can also grab a cup to go at the coffee bar outside the restaurant or buy a bag of Kona blend to go home. Juice, smoothies and other coffee drinks like cappuccino , café mocha and café latte are on the menu as well. If you like more excitement in your cup in the morning, try a mimosa or wasabi Mary.

Eggs, pancakes, French toast, omelets you really can’t go wrong with anything on the menu. I cannot speak for the Samoan or steak and eggs because I have not tried them. The other dishes are straight forward deliciousness in my opinion. The egg dishes are served with fried wedge style potatoes, biscuits and choice of meat, while the carby dishes are served with your choice of meat-ham, sausage or bacon. I don’t know about you guys, but I love coming home to real breakfast meat! This bacon and sausage they serve are on the odd side.

Personal favorites include the Tonga Toast, although without a gallbladder I have resorted to having a bite or two of my mom’s at breakfast rather than tackling it myself. Macadamia nut pineapple pancakes are nut studded cakes with crushed pineapple topped with macadamia nut butter, pure deliciousness, but more filling than they sound. Feeling really hungry? Go for the Big Kahuna, which offers a taste of many items on the menu. My mom also orders the oatmeal from time to time, just ask-they will make it for you.

Pineapple macadamia nut pancakes

Tonga Toast-photos from last year

French Toast

Big Kahuna

Ham & Cheese Omelet

Oatmeal…yawn

The service can be slow at times. The food comes out quickly, but you may not see your server for a while. For the most part we can get in and get checked out within an hour or less. If we arrive early around 8 or so, we can usually make rope drop at the Magic Kingdom or just after opening. Otherwise you can linger for a while and enjoy the atmosphere. The future brings more stays at the Polynesian as well as more breakfast at Kona Café for us.

4 stars-good

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: