Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #46
connorlevismom


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of the lost
Posts: 3,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatemint View Post
This is absolutely true.

She sounds nuts, to be honest. I'd plaster my reviews ALL OVER THE PLACE. REPEATEDLY.

Not for myself, but to protect all the innocent renters in the future from suffering from her deceptions.
I need to be careful to report on anything that I cannot prove. Like the cleanliness, I did not take any pictures. I did think about posting that she threatened to sue me if I posted a negative review, because I do have an email from her that states exactly that. Can I get in trouble for something like that since I can actually prove it?
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #47
chocolatemint
researcher extraordinaire
 
chocolatemint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: where the stars at night are big & bright
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorlevismom View Post
I need to be careful to report on anything that I cannot prove. Like the cleanliness, I did not take any pictures. I did think about posting that she threatened to sue me if I posted a negative review, because I do have an email from her that states exactly that. Can I get in trouble for something like that since I can actually prove it?
No, she can't sue you for telling the truth. She's only throwing that out to try and intimidate you. If she tried that with me I'd laugh in her face and tell her to go right ahead!

Libel suits are rarely successful because of the immense difficulty in proving them. She'd have to prove that you lied AND prove that it caused actual harm to her - she'd have to show a direct correlation. How can she prove that someone didn't rent from her because they read your bad review? Will she personally interrogate everyone who visits TripAdvisor?

There's no way she's going to spend thousands on a case that any atty would tell her will be tossed out, especially if she's too greedy to refund you a measly $50. She's in the UK, too, which adds another dimension of complexity.

Don't let her bully you. Seriously.

Edited to add:

Think about how many bad reviews of all sorts of things there are floating around the web. No one has to "prove" anything. Are you required to "prove" that Olive Garden forgot your breadsticks and knocked over your water, or you will get sued by them?

If major corporations with limitless legal counsel on retainer aren't winning libel suits against Joe Smith for saying their soda was nasty, Crazy Lady isn't going to sue and win against you.
__________________
research junkie & vacation aficionado
chocolatemint is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #48
connorlevismom


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of the lost
Posts: 3,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatemint View Post
No, she can't sue you for telling the truth. She's only throwing that out to try and intimidate you. If she tried that with me I'd laugh in her face and tell her to go right ahead!

Libel suits are rarely successful because of the immense difficulty in proving them. She'd have to prove that you lied AND prove that it caused actual harm to her - she'd have to show a direct correlation. How can she prove that someone didn't rent from her because they read your bad review? Will she personally interrogate everyone who visits TripAdvisor?

There's no way she's going to spend thousands on a case that any atty would tell her will be tossed out, especially if she's too greedy to refund you a measly $50. She's in the UK, too, which adds another dimension of complexity.

Don't let her bully you. Seriously.

Edited to add:

Think about how many bad reviews of all sorts of things there are floating around the web. No one has to "prove" anything. Are you required to "prove" that Olive Garden forgot your breadsticks and knocked over your water, or you will get sued by them?

If major corporations with limitless legal counsel on retainer aren't winning libel suits against Joe Smith for saying their soda was nasty, Crazy Lady isn't going to sue and win against you.
You're absolutely right and I did add more detail to my review.
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #49
connorlevismom


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of the lost
Posts: 3,714

Looks like the owner has posted a bunch of reviews from her "guest book" today onto her Homeaway listing. She still is listing that it has a gas grill though and there is still a picture that has the grill in it.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p174437#reviews
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #50
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorlevismom View Post
Looks like the owner has posted a bunch of reviews from her "guest book" today onto her Homeaway listing. She still is listing that it has a gas grill though and there is still a picture that has the grill in it.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p174437#reviews
What the heck? I thought that she did that to bury your review, but yours isn't even there. What a maroon.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #51
DarthMama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 150

Truth is a defense to any libel claim. So, if you say something bad about someone, and it's true, they have no grounds to claim libel.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #52
connorlevismom


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of the lost
Posts: 3,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMama View Post
Truth is a defense to any libel claim. So, if you say something bad about someone, and it's true, they have no grounds to claim libel.
I don't think she understands that. She still seems to not understand that when you tell someone in their quote for the house that it includes something, it has to be there. She tells me that because it was not an extra fee for it, that it does not matter if it was there or not. It was my fault for assuming it would be there. I don't know if it is because she is from the UK and does not understand the rules here, or what the deal is.
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #53
connorlevismom


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of the lost
Posts: 3,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
What the heck? I thought that she did that to bury your review, but yours isn't even there. What a maroon.
And she clearly does not understand that reviews written by the owners mean nothing. They could write anything! If I saw an ad and it had 14 reviews and 10 of those 14 were written by the owner, NEXT!
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #54
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,500

The only thing that gives me pause is that I am pretty sure when we've rented the contracts have said something like (only in formal language) "amenities subject to availability and if something breaks that's beyond our control and we will do our best to get it fixed but no refund will be given.

Someone said "Isn't there a stove?"...I'm sure there was but when we are planning on grilling, the stove isn't acceptable. Like if we brought things to make grilled burgers and then found out the only way to make burgers was fry them on the stove...yuck.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #55
connorlevismom


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of the lost
Posts: 3,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
The only thing that gives me pause is that I am pretty sure when we've rented the contracts have said something like (only in formal language) "amenities subject to availability and if something breaks that's beyond our control and we will do our best to get it fixed but no refund will be given.

Someone said "Isn't there a stove?"...I'm sure there was but when we are planning on grilling, the stove isn't acceptable. Like if we brought things to make grilled burgers and then found out the only way to make burgers was fry them on the stove...yuck.
They very well might be that in the contract. However, the contract that I signed was from her management company. Before our rental she changed management companies and never told me, nor did she make me fill out a new contract for the new company. I am not 100% certain, but I don't think that the old contract would hold up since she is no longer with that company. I am not sure though.

As for cooking bugers on the stove. I agree with you. Not only would they not taste good, it would stink up the house.
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #56
mikat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 399

Looks like the owner is still advertising the BBQ - huge photo on this site of the grill by itself:
http://www.dwellable.com/h/35324/Flo...r-Hills-Resort
__________________
First Trip Ever - Poly - November 2010 * * * Star Wars Weekend - Dolphin - June 2011 * * * Solo Trip - Pop Century - January 2012 * * * Dream a Little Dream Disney 4-Night Cruise - March 2012 * * * Couples Trip to Disneyland - July 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - July 2012 * * * Mom & Boys Trip - Pop Century and Wyndham Bonnet Creek - August 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - January 2013 * * * Couples Trip - Animal Kingdom Lodge - August 2013 * * * WDW - DCL Christmas in the World and on the Dream - Art of Animation - December 2013 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Yacht Club - March 2014 * * * Mommy & Son Trip - Caribbean Beach - July 2014
mikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #57
connorlevismom


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Land of the lost
Posts: 3,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikat View Post
Looks like the owner is still advertising the BBQ - huge photo on this site of the grill by itself:
http://www.dwellable.com/h/35324/Flo...r-Hills-Resort
That is just to bad. I mean, if you don't want the responsibility that comes with renting out your home, then don't do it. And certainly when there are issues, don't tell your customers they are lying and then threaten to sue them.

The more I think about her responses to me, the more I am just floored that she thought it was OK to be so absolutely rude. She very clearly is not someone who can admit they might be wrong about something. Not exactly the type of person that should go into business with dealing with the general public.

Like I said, I had a feeling she was difficult when I paid my final payment and she refused to give me my final paperwork proving that I had rented until SHE wanted to. I was not leaving until October and paid my final in July. I wanted something in my hands proving I had the reservation and it was paid in full. Not sure why she had to argue about that.
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #58
AJ1983
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 611

In this case, I would be upset about the grill, especially if I purchased food for the purpose of grilling.

However, I would not expect them to provide games for the gaming systems. I would assume that any kid would bring their favorite games along with them-I certainly wouldn't rely on the rental unit to have it...sort of like expecting to see current magazines in the doctor's office haha. Nor do I think the unit is obliged to provide them.
__________________


AJ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #59
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran
 
"Cinder" Ella's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1983 View Post
In this case, I would be upset about the grill, especially if I purchased food for the purpose of grilling.

However, I would not expect them to provide games for the gaming systems. I would assume that any kid would bring their favorite games along with them-I certainly wouldn't rely on the rental unit to have it...sort of like expecting to see current magazines in the doctor's office haha. Nor do I think the unit is obliged to provide them.
That makes no sense. There are so many different game systems these days. To assume any renter would have their own games to bring and match whatever system a rental had is not logical. Every house I have ever rented at Windsor Hills has supplied games with the system.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #60
AJ1983
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
That makes no sense. There are so many different game systems these days. To assume any renter would have their own games to bring and match whatever system a rental had is not logical. Every house I have ever rented at Windsor Hills has supplied games with the system.
I hadn't considered that certain game systems might be a novelty for some children. I was thinking strictly in terms of the kid who can't go a day without playing their favorite xbox game...so I just assumed they would have and bring their own. My mistake
__________________


AJ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.