Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
Freedom of speech does not preclude you from being sued for libel. If you post something online that you have no proof of, then you could be held liable for false statements.

So far, the only thing she's told us about that can be proven is that there was no grill. If she has photographs of bugs, nail clippings and hair, then she can be comfortable posting those. If not, then tread lightly...

If I were this renter, I'd drop this and move on.
As a renter, I would want to know if the gaming systems had no games, and there was no grill and it was dirty. Why is I not OK to write this in a review? It is not like I am going to go all crazy talking about the owner, but if I were someone looking for a house, this would help me make a decision.

I don't think it is fair that you can threaten a renter to sue them if they post their experience. People who experience things (good or bad) should be able to write about them. In that same area - I could actually write that the owner threatened to sue me if I wrote a negative review, because I have written proof that she did.
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #32
jensen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorlevismom View Post
As a renter, I would want to know if the gaming systems had no games, and there was no grill and it was dirty. Why is I not OK to write this in a review? It is not like I am going to go all crazy talking about the owner, but if I were someone looking for a house, this would help me make a decision.

I don't think it is fair that you can threaten a renter to sue them if they post their experience. People who experience things (good or bad) should be able to write about them.
Absolutely! I am a frequent reviewer on TripAdvisor and other forums. And if I have a bad experience, I'm not afraid to write about it.

But, the communication between you and the owner (that you've posted here) indicates that she believes you are making false claims in regard to the bugs, nail clippings and hair. So, if you are going to make specific claims about things like that, you might want to back them up with photographic proof.

A general statement about things not being as clean as you'd expect or up to your personal cleanliness standards would not be libel. It's all in how you present it.
Jan 2009 All Star Music Jazz Family Suite l Jan 2012 All Star Music Country Fair l Jan 2014 All Star Movies Mighty Ducks
jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #33
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
Absolutely! I am a frequent reviewer on TripAdvisor and other forums. And if I have a bad experience, I'm not afraid to write about it.

But, the communication between you and the owner (that you've posted here) indicates that she believes you are making false claims in regard to the bugs, nail clippings and hair. So, if you are going to make specific claims about things like that, you might want to back them up with photographic proof.

A general statement about things not being as clean as you'd expect or up to your personal cleanliness standards would not be libel. It's all in how you present it.
I understand now what you were saying. I am more about writing about the missing grill and the games that are not there for the gaming systems. As a parent, I would want to know that if I was renting a home. I would not have booked the home if I saw this and all the other homes I was looking at did have games.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
jensen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I understand now what you were saying. I am more about writing about the missing grill and the games that are not there for the gaming systems. As a parent, I would want to know that if I was renting a home. I would not have booked the home if I saw this and all the other homes I was looking at did have games.
I'll also say that as a person who relies heavily on travel review sites to make decisions, I very much appreciate negative reviews. In fact, I always sort the reviews so I can see the bad things that people are saying and don't always read the good reviews. I figure if I can live with the bad things, then I'll be happy with the good things.

That said, after you read a few bad reviews, you can always tell the ones who wrote out of real concern to share their experience and those who are just complainers.

Thank you for caring enough to share your experience and help others make their vacations magical!
Jan 2009 All Star Music Jazz Family Suite l Jan 2012 All Star Music Country Fair l Jan 2014 All Star Movies Mighty Ducks
jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

It is a private owner? Are they managed by a management company? Perhaps you would like to give us the address of the property so we know to avoid it. Why advertise that you have a game system if there are no games? Ridiculous.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
It is a private owner? Are they managed by a management company? Perhaps you would like to give us the address of the property so we know to avoid it. Why advertise that you have a game system if there are no games? Ridiculous.
It is DSNYS Retreat in Windsor Hills. A 5 bedroom/5 bath home. I will do a review on the review board here as well so people who are not reading this thread can see it.

I had some reservations about this owner when I paid the final payment and she refused to give me my paperwork until 2 weeks prior to departure. I paid the final payment in July and we did not leave until October. I asked her several times for the paperwork proving that I had access to the home and all my documentation and was told no several times. That is when a red flag went up for me. Little did I know how absolutely rude she would be while dealing with her on issues. She also switched management compaines from the time I rented and the time of my arrival and changed her email address without ever informing me about it. Not a big deal to some, but I researched mgt. companies to know which ones had clean homes and she had Magical Vacation Homes as hers when I booked. Then it had been switched to someone I have never heard of.

I rented 3 other homes in WH at the exact same time and had no issues at all with these home owners.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is DSNYS Retreat in Windsor Hills. A 5 bedroom/5 bath home. I will do a review on the review board here as well so people who are not reading this thread can see it.

I had some reservations about this owner when I paid the final payment and she refused to give me my paperwork until 2 weeks prior to departure. I paid the final payment in July and we did not leave until October. I asked her several times for the paperwork proving that I had access to the home and all my documentation and was told no several times. That is when a red flag went up for me. Little did I know how absolutely rude she would be while dealing with her on issues. She also switched management compaines from the time I rented and the time of my arrival and changed her email address without ever informing me about it. Not a big deal to some, but I researched mgt. companies to know which ones had clean homes and she had Magical Vacation Homes as hers when I booked. Then it had been switched to someone I have never heard of.

I rented 3 other homes in WH at the exact same time and had no issues at all with these home owners.

I looked it up and on some sites it even has a picture of a really nice gas grill on the lanai! Here is the description (it was on several of the sites advertising this house):Private Gas Barbecue,

That really is not the way to gain business.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #38
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder" Ella's Mom;46537099]I looked it up and on some sites it even has a picture of a really nice gas grill on the lanai! Here is the description (it was on several of the sites advertising this house):[COLOR="Red
Private Gas Barbecue,[/COLOR]

That really is not the way to gain business.
That is interesting because the owner told me that she had removed all advertising of the BBQ on all websites that she advertises on. I guess that too, was not the truth. And yes, there are pictures of a really nice grill on her webpage and it was also included in my quote for my rental. She is now telling me that I should not have expected it because I did not pay extra to have it there, though they got rid of the grill and decided not to replace it with another one. Here is what she said in her email: I have looked at all the sites we advertise on and no games were or are advertised, I also took the BBQ off some time ago even though we only removed the item itself whilst we were there.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #39
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Quote:

... She also switched management compaines from the time I rented and the time of my arrival and changed her email address without ever informing me about it. Not a big deal to some, but I researched mgt. companies to know which ones had clean homes and she had Magical Vacation Homes as hers when I booked. Then it had been switched to someone I have never heard of.
I wonder if the management company might have dropped her due to too many complaints?

Be sure to print off her ad showing the grill and games as included in the price and keep that with your copy of the contract.

IMO the owner should have apologized for the missing items and attempted to rent for you, or replace, the missing items. If that was not possible she should have attempted to comp you an amount equal to the cost of renting the missing items for the duration of your stay and immediately corrected her ad. I think if she has still not corrected her ad, this only adds to your credibility that she is trying to deceive renters on the amenities in her home. Keep track of how long the incorrect ad stays up. Did she say how long ago she removed the grill? I can see how games might go missing at the last moment and would not blame her too much, ( maybe give you a 25.00 or 30.00 credit for game rental) but the grill has no excuses!

I know that the owners of rental property probably get people trying to scam them all the time, but I can't believe anyone would risk bad reviews over a hundred dollars, especially when they admit the items listed in their ad were not in the house! (That decision alone would make me want to run from renting from this owner.)

I also wouldn't tell her where you post negative reviews, if she whats to find them, let HER do the research. I would not let her intimidate you as long as you can prove what you are saying. If you do, then the bad property owners win, and renters and good property owners loose.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #40
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

boy some people have alot of nerve.

so sorry you are going thru this. next time remember to take pictures even a phone cam pictures would work.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #41
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran

The libel suit is an empty threat. Can they sue you for libel? Yes. Would they win that suit? No. It's not going to happen.
Senator Tressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #42
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

review posted:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3012949
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #43
mikehn
DIS Veteran

I dont see anything wrong with your review. I'd post it on tripadvisor and anywhere else you can post about Windsor hills vacation rentals.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #44
BonnieP
Mouseketeer

My husband and I have rented pool homes for the last 5 years. If an owner advertises a grill, there better be one! We usually stay longer than a week and tend to grill out quite a bit.

A house we rented in Sunset Lakes had a grill that was out of propane, so we alerted the owner via email and we exchanged it at the WalMart on Rt.27 . There was a check waiting for us when we returned home for the amount of the propane. We did not mind doing that.

I checked the house you rented on HomeAway.co.uk and it still lists a grill... The last review was July/2011-not very recent. I would not hesitate leaving a review. I always look for rentals with reviews.

Sorry for your experience... Hope your future rentals work out !
Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #45
chocolatemint
researcher extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Tressel View Post
The libel suit is an empty threat. Can they sue you for libel? Yes. Would they win that suit? No. It's not going to happen.
This is absolutely true.

She sounds nuts, to be honest. I'd plaster my reviews ALL OVER THE PLACE. REPEATEDLY.

Not for myself, but to protect all the innocent renters in the future from suffering from her deceptions.

chocolatemint is offline   Reply With Quote