Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #31
graueMaus
DIS Veteran Lurker

FYI.

I have fit the following bulky items (along with check books, keys, wallets, tickets, etc) in the safes at SSR and AKV Kidani and HHI:

17 in laptop (sometimes you need to slide it in diaganolly, but it will fit flat in the safe),
and an SLR camera

The latter will fit in these safes if you separate the lenses and body. I have a Nikon D80 with 18-70mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses and all will fit just fine separate from the body in the safe.
1975 to 1984 - once a year, stay offsite;1994 - offsite at Mariott, MK,EPCOT,MGM; 2006 - 1st wk Sept MYW with Free Dining at POR - Mansions, MNSSHP;2007 - 2nd wk Sept MYW with Free Dining at POR - Alligator Bayou, MNSSHP;2008 - 1st wk Sept MYW with Free Dining at POR - Alligator Bayou;2010 - 1st wk Jan at CBR - Pirate Room
DVC Era begins
2010 - Oct 2nd-8th AKV, POR 8-9th, HHI 9th-10th; 2011 - Oct 2nd-7th HHI; 2012 - Oct 7th-13th SSR-THV;Mar 29th-Apr6 VGF
graueMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #32
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I posted on here a few years ago about an incident that happened to me at CBR. I was on a solo trip and came back to the room one night to find my door propped open with the trash can (not sure why she didn't just use the door jam). No way was I going in that room. I walked back downstairs and stood by the stairway, while I called and asked to be transferred to CBR security. Of course phone calls go to a call center, so it took forever to finally get transferred and then even longer for security to show up. He went in the room with me, but told me that housekeepers frequently prop doors open if they are cleaning several rooms at once and the housekeeper probably just forgot to close my door. Sure enough, when we went in the room, the bed was made and clean towels were sitting on the table, but the dirty towels were still sitting where I'd left them that morning. The housekeeper had apparently got distracted and forgot to come back and finish my room. Thankfully nothing was taken but anyone could have walked in that room and helped themselves to anything they wanted. I did call and complain to housekeeping who apologized.
oh my goodness. good thing you called down to security, i would be nervous if i saw that.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #33
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by graueMaus View Post
FYI.

I have fit the following bulky items (along with check books, keys, wallets, tickets, etc) in the safes at SSR and AKV Kidani and HHI:

17 in laptop (sometimes you need to slide it in diaganolly, but it will fit flat in the safe),
and an SLR camera

The latter will fit in these safes if you separate the lenses and body. I have a Nikon D80 with 18-70mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses and all will fit just fine separate from the body in the safe.
The OP is a good reminder to not let your guard down just because you are in WDW. OP, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your camera! BTW, not all the safes WDW are large enough to fit a laptop. At the Beach Club, we have had the old, small safes with the key. We were able to fit a kindle, and a single camera lens, but definitely not a laptop and not the camera body (measurements were approximately: 6'' tall X 10'' wide X 2''deep. Not big at all.

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #34
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

First of all; sorry this happened! These things tend to not be about "just" stolen goods, but feeling unsafe realising someone was in a place with ill intent where you did not expect it.

I am with those who wonder what was expected from mangement. I mean, might be me but I really think people have too high of an expectation raising out of the norm experiences they read about others having as the norm. This was a bad situation, but things were done that should be done and assume will continue to go from there (like checking systems to see who went in and out etc.)

By all means take up the subject with disney after getting home and communicate about it. Ask what might not be clear, state what one is looking for, be realistic, calm and open. But also it can be beneficial for them to ask themselves if expectations and sentiments are/were valid or perhaps also coloured by emotions of the moment and clowded by reading up on other pixiedustmoments and confusing it a bit too much for a standard what to expect.

In general; loads of folks can be in your room. Keep it in mind!

From a very personal p.o.v.; I've been here at WDW for over 3 weeks now. First so many days were at BWV. I had the unfortune to run into an unexpected scary situation. Sometimes things happen. Folks were amazing, did whatever they could but did I expect any...... "make things right and take away the sour feeling"? No. Did that happen when we talk about it in a fashion it always seems to be talked about? No. They did it in a much more important way; not by showering me with stuff but by doing their jobs and much more than that. By being there. I can buy my own stuff if I want it that much, but the practicle help and human interest and empathy could never have been bought and had an unbelievable bigger impact. Because of this incident, my planned trip is down the drain. An hour a day outside is big already. Again something that IMHO is not something peachy but hardly validates me to expect any "disney should make this better for me". Yesterday someone decided not to sprinkle me with pixiedust but to almost drown me in it**. And you know what? The way it was done in for me is much less valuable than the motivation behind the actions. It again showed a high level of empathy. Totally not needed, not expected, leaves me feeling left in between humbled, over the moon and embarrased. But it not happening wouldn't have had any negative impact on how I view the way those involved dealt with my situation.

** which I guess also already comes down to p.o.v. and expectations, as I know I view it as beyond big guesture but know sadly many nowadays even expect this in simplest situations to happen
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

Beyond greatfull for so many WDW trips, dear friendship and even a dlrp wish trip in october 2014 to close the Disney chapter. Lifes come and go, memories last for ever.
goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #35
LWatson
I Still Do!!!!

Someone posted pretty much something exactly the same a year or so ago in CafeMom. I mean "they did nothing" and a few other things sound word for word what was said.

Feb 2009-Shades of Green R&R, Nov 2009-All Star Sports Welcome Home, May 2010-Shades of Green,Jan 2011-POP Boy's Birthday Trip
April 2012- Shades of Green Vow Renewal/POP Welcome Home, Feb 2013-Universal/Disney 10yr Anniversary Getaway at Westgate Lakes and Spa
LWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #36
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

This story at ABCNEWS.com made me think of this thread this morning:

A report by ABC News showing how easy it was to break into certain electronic door locks used by major hotels has prompted the Holiday Inn chain today to announce a drive to "expedite" efforts to fix the locks.

The ABC News report included a visit to the Holiday Inn Express Times Square on 39th Street, where we checked in to a room and demonstrated a major security flaw that allows guest doors to be opened without a hotel-issued key.

The problem centers around a particular model of hotel door lock made by Onity, a company which describes itself as the, "Worldwide Leader In Electronic Locks." However, on one of its most popular models sold to hotels globally, hackers claim to have discovered that the company left a security port uncovered that allows them to open any of the locks with a universal key of sorts.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #37
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

That this happened is really sad, especailly at WDW.

However after reading the posts,the debating if the folks should have put valuablies away in the safe or drawers, if mouskeeping should have closed the door, or if Disney needs to do something, The one thing I found missing..........

is the guy or gal that was the thief!

Part of our sociaty..........part of life today.........but that is the real problem!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Housekeeping only comes a couple times when you are in the villas (unless you pay the extra fee for a daily visit), did they know they were coming that day?

That stinks, I would be very upset to lose all the pictures. I don't think WDW will do much if anything, and nothing will replace their lost photos.

This is a good reminder to always bolt the door and never leave valuables out if you are not present. The camera/purse would have been safe if up in the bedroom with them.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #39
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney
Housekeeping only comes a couple times when you are in the villas (unless you pay the extra fee for a daily visit), did they know they were coming that day?
I've skipped many pages of this thread, but wanted to say that this is only true for DVC stays. If you have a cash regular reservation, you get housekeeping everyday.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: