Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

We have never had any problem with theft .However a few times realised the door did not close and lock. You must pull the door and make sure it is secure.
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
HITCH KING
Earning My Ears

hotel room

Housekeeping is very good a placing the cart in front of the open door making it diffcult but not impossible to enter the room unnoticed.

I have tried to enter my room at many hotels and they will ask you to enter your key into the lock and show them it is your room.

I am very surprised that disney did not do anything. I would guess a Photo CD with stock photos is the least they can do.
HITCH KING is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Not all housekeepers prop the door open. We stayed at AKL last weekend and the housekeepers there close the doors and put a little sign that says your room is being serviced. I know this because i went to give our sweet housekeeper my rose from V and A when we were leaving and she was locked inside the room she was servicing. I knocked and she said come on in! I knocked again and she came out.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Since the poster is a second hand party, we really don't know what happened. Having things stollen out of a hotel room is always sad, but it's not Disney's fault that camera and valuables were left out, and not locked in the safe.
Really they've done what they were supposed to do, help them get in contact with the proper authorities. They don't need to make things up to them because they were careless, sorry. I am sorry this happened to your friends.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

If the thief got in because housekeeping was not careful, I think Disney has some blame. Total bummer regardless of cause and fault.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I don't feel that Disney is responsible for any loss in this situation. What did Disney do wrong?

I agree with the poster who wrote about scams. How is Disney to know who is creating issues within a scam or within reality? WHY would anyone leave a purse out in the open in a room? No, I don't see blame on Disney.

I am sorry that the person lost belongings, but perhaps they should be more careful when bringing expensive things to WDW in the first place.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenParr View Post
If the thief got in because housekeeping was not careful, I think Disney has some blame.
What's the housekeeper supposed to do? Move their belongings into drawers so she can go into another room? Not practical. The housekeepers are required to leave the door open when cleaning, and if there's multiple rooms, that means there is going to be a time that room will be unoccupied.

I make sure my valuables are always secured before leaving the room solely because I know housekeeping will be in. I'm not accusing housekeeping of anything, but knowing a stranger will be in my room is enough for me to take the extra step to lock my purse and camera in my luggage and put the luggage under the bed or in a closet. An unfortunate lesson for these folks. Hopefully they will take the precautions next time.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #23
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Since the poster is a second hand party, we really don't know what happened. Having things stollen out of a hotel room is always sad, but it's not Disney's fault that camera and valuables were left out, and not locked in the safe.
Really they've done what they were supposed to do, help them get in contact with the proper authorities. They don't need to make things up to them because they were careless, sorry. I am sorry this happened to your friends.
Since they were in the room at the time (but upstairs), I would not call them careless for leaving it out. However, if they did not have the bolt on the door thrown and didn't know housekeeping came in, that part was careless. I'm always careful to lock the door when I come in.

If housekeeping does leave the door open, that's a problem with a villa. Anyone could walk in when they are in another room. They should shut the door behind them. I remember one time we were walking past a grand villa at BW and the housekeeping was standing there with the door open. We asked if we could peek in (not go in), she said no, sorry it's occupied.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Regardless of the circumstances of this particular family's loss.. this brings up a very valid point.

I like to think of any hotel room as having about the same security as a bike padlocked to a rack on the street. It's almost that bad, so I just assume it is. What's in my room usually? Well, I might have consumer electronics, passports, lots and lots of clothes and personal items of little value..

So.. whatever won't fit in the safe is *very carefully* hidden and I snap a quick picture of the room before I leave on my phone. But .. leaving stuff that's so valuable and so portable right out ... is just not a good idea. And unfortunately this thread reminds us all why.

There are so many variables.. from staff who were fired, let go or are about to quit, to who knows what poorly made, easily confused electronic lock..

I feel very badly for your friends .. I wish their first trip to Disney wasn't ruined by this turn of events.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

My guess is the housekeepers are told to leave the door open. Think about it they are entering someones room and they don't know the person. Its probably a safety thing for the housekeepers so they can exit quickly or if they yell people will be more likely to hear them. Disney has to think about the safety of there employees just as much as the safety of the guests.

I know it probably ruined there vacation and I've stayed in the two story GV's at the BW and SSR so I can understand how it could happen. I'm sorry it happened to them at least now more people know not to leave valuables out even if there in there room.

Last edited by TowMater92; 10-15-2012 at 08:43 PM.
TowMater92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #26
DanInDefiance
Earning My Ears

I know this is hindsight....but even when staying at the GF club level, I always checked my oversized laptop with bell services. You never know who'll be in your room - checking it turns the responsibility over to the resort if anything happens to it.
DanInDefiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

Was just reading the Florida statute, and looks like max liability is $1,000 even when you leave it with the desk for safekeeping.

And to respond to earlier question, my reasoning on why I feel housekeeping is also to blame is not a legal issue, just common sense opinion: if I leave room locked, I do not expect anyone other than housekeeping to go in, or housekeeping to let anyone in. And I don't believe that's just one of those things or a matter of bad luck. It's not like Disney ( or most hotels ) say stuff like "oh, and when housekeeping comes, you can pretty much assume that people will steal stuff from your room."

Yes, I agree it increases risk to have housekeeping come. Yes, I realize I could avoid housekeeping altogether.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #28
jwwi
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear about this. My DH had a rather expensive suitcase taken from his room in Vegas, along with his friend's laptop. It was a horrible experience for him, and the hotel claimed no responsibility whatsoever. Needless to say he will never stay at that resort again. I would hate to feel that violated at Disney. I always put my valuables in the safe, but would not hesitate to check them with the front desk if they didn't fit in the safe. Best of luck to your friends as they resolve this issue.
jwwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #29
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
That's the thing that makes me nervous about leaving things out. The housekeepers leave the door open when they clean. With a villa, the housekeeper could be a different room and anyone could slip in and grab something near the door.
I posted on here a few years ago about an incident that happened to me at CBR. I was on a solo trip and came back to the room one night to find my door propped open with the trash can (not sure why she didn't just use the door jam). No way was I going in that room. I walked back downstairs and stood by the stairway, while I called and asked to be transferred to CBR security. Of course phone calls go to a call center, so it took forever to finally get transferred and then even longer for security to show up. He went in the room with me, but told me that housekeepers frequently prop doors open if they are cleaning several rooms at once and the housekeeper probably just forgot to close my door. Sure enough, when we went in the room, the bed was made and clean towels were sitting on the table, but the dirty towels were still sitting where I'd left them that morning. The housekeeper had apparently got distracted and forgot to come back and finish my room. Thankfully nothing was taken but anyone could have walked in that room and helped themselves to anything they wanted. I did call and complain to housekeeping who apologized.

Last edited by aubriee; 10-16-2012 at 05:42 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #30
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenParr View Post
Was just reading the Florida statute, and looks like max liability is $1,000 even when you leave it with the desk for safekeeping.

And to respond to earlier question, my reasoning on why I feel housekeeping is also to blame is not a legal issue, just common sense opinion: if I leave room locked, I do not expect anyone other than housekeeping to go in, or housekeeping to let anyone in. And I don't believe that's just one of those things or a matter of bad luck. It's not like Disney ( or most hotels ) say stuff like "oh, and when housekeeping comes, you can pretty much assume that people will steal stuff from your room."

Yes, I agree it increases risk to have housekeeping come. Yes, I realize I could avoid housekeeping altogether.
I think a lot of people just assume that no one but housekeeping enters hotel rooms. Housekeeping is not the only person who can access your room at a hotel.

Maintenance
Management
Guests with incorrectly coded and assigned keys (search for threads on being assigned an already occupied room - happens everywhere)
ME luggage delivery

None of these people will give you advance notice, and they aren't going to ask your permission. Avoiding housekeeping does not insure that your room will not be entered by someone other than your family.

I can't stress enough that if you are IN your room (as these guests appear to have been) PLEASE use the deadbolt and flip lock on the door! You don't want someone just walking in on you, whether you're just getting out of the shower, or getting dressed, or just hanging out. There are people wandering around hotels everywhere just looking for an opportunity to take advantage of someone. It isn't necessarily even hotel guests or staff - think about those bogus pizza flyers that get left in hotels all over the place. Belongings are replaceable - your health and safety, not so much. The first thing I do when I enter my room is give it a quick look over to make sure no one is already in it, and then secure both locks to make sure it stays that way.

And yes, always double check the door when you leave the room to make sure it's secure, and make sure any valuables you do have are in the safe. Don't bring anything on vacation that you can't carry with you and that you can't afford to lose.

Personally, I have never seen housekeeping working with more than one room at a time. There would be no reason to have more than one door open - one person can't be in two rooms at the same time. I have noticed more of them using the little tags on the door that say your room is being serviced and the door completely shut.

I'm sorry this happened to the OP's friends, but the simple act of engaging the locks on the door should have prevented this particular incident.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: