Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
motofox4
DIS Veteran

Question Unfortunate Incident at Disney's Boardwalk Villas

Friends of mine are just returning from a vacation to Disney. They stayed at the Boardwalk Villas in a 3 bedroom villa. Just yesterday someone broke into their room and stole personal belongings including a camera and purse. They reported it to the police, however, of course, are still very upset about what they lost and the pictures that they lost of their son's first trip to Disney. They spoke to someone at the front desk and they didn't "do" anything for them other than to call the police for them to report the incident. I know that nothing should ever be expected, but maybe in some way I was thinking Disney might do something to take away the sadness of this awful thing happening to them while in the "most magical place on earth". Is there someone they could call or maybe write a letter to to let them know what happened and try to make them feel at least a little better about this sad experience? Any information would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm so sad for them - I travel to Disney just about every year and fortunately haven't ever had this happen to me and just to know that even in Disney, thieves are everywhere and can go so low as to ruin someone's vacation is heartbreaking..
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

That's awful!!! That's why I ALWAYS keep everything valuable in the safe, you just never know. I think if you go to Disney's website there should be a "contact us" link and there should be an address there. I would also suggest writing the resort.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. AKL stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

That's awful.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofox4 View Post
Friends of mine are just returning from a vacation to Disney. They stayed at the Boardwalk Villas in a 3 bedroom villa. Just yesterday someone broke into their room and stole personal belongings including a camera and purse. They reported it to the police, however, of course, are still very upset about what they lost and the pictures that they lost of their son's first trip to Disney. They spoke to someone at the front desk and they didn't "do" anything for them other than to call the police for them to report the incident. I know that nothing should ever be expected, but maybe in some way I was thinking Disney might do something to take away the sadness of this awful thing happening to them while in the "most magical place on earth". Is there someone they could call or maybe write a letter to to let them know what happened and try to make them feel at least a little better about this sad experience? Any information would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm so sad for them - I travel to Disney just about every year and fortunately haven't ever had this happen to me and just to know that even in Disney, thieves are everywhere and can go so low as to ruin someone's vacation is heartbreaking..
Were they in the room at the time? I just cringe when people say "I just leave my laptop out, nothing will happen to it". 99% chance nothing will but you should still take precautions.

Unless the door was actually damaged ("break-in"), there should be a record of whose key cards were used to enter the room.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Were they in the room at the time? I just cringe when people say "I just leave my laptop out, nothing will happen to it". 99% chance nothing will but you should still take precautions.

Unless the door was actually damaged ("break-in"), there should be a record of whose key cards were used to enter the room.
Absolutely they should be able to tell who entered the room. If the door wasn't broken in that means someone used a keycard. As for the safes, we've never had one that could fit a camera (we use a DSLR so it's huge). Definitely a point and shoot little one would fit but not our big guy. I feel so bad for them :-(

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
HITCH KING
Earning My Ears

start at the top

robert.a.iger@disney. com

I wrotr a letter to Bob a few month ago about that I requested info from Toyko and Hong Kong and never heard back from either twice.

I did not expect to hear back personally from Bob but sure enough he repied. I figured it would be a standard responce "Thank you for contacting bla bla bla.

Later in the day I heard back from Toyko and next morning HK. They should give the family a photo CD with stock photos. Did the family use the photo pass.

Was their any damage to the door. Sounds like somebody did not close the door. It is a shame. The camera can be replaced but the photos can not.

Many years ago in DL we forgot to take pins that were inside plastic bag inside for lunch. Somebody stole umbella and sweatshirt and several pins. You let your guard down and it ruins the vacation.
HITCH KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
motofox4
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all of your replies. I'm not sure of the exact details of the break in, if there was damage to the door or if a key card was used. They're on a plane now on their way home so I'll find out more later. I know they're really sad and disappointed at the loss of their pictures and my friend's purse and personal information being taken. I feel so bad for them so am just doing what I can to help them out so they can get in contact with someone as soon as they're home and settled.

And thank you Hitch King for that email address. I'm going to be sure to give that to them!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
lbv7
Mouseketeer

It is unfortunate what happened, but on the information sheet that is given to everyone who stays at either the BWI or BWV that following information is listed:

VALUABLES
Key-operated wall safes are located in every Guest room. Safekeeping boxes are also available at the Front Desk.

Why would anyone leave a purse out when they are not in the room? No excuse for having things stolen, but sometimes common sense needs to prevail.
Also, as previously mentioned there would be a record of anyone who entered the room with the key card. Think about it, "busting down" any of the doors at the BW would almost be impossible, given the weight and structure of the door, never mind the noise it would create trying to break it open.
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Hotels don't do "anything" anymore due to the scam factor. It's amazing how many times the Kodak disposable becomes the "$5,000 DSLR" Even with a key card log Disney is not going to drag the maintenance man in and accuse him of the theft of stuff they can't prove you lost... it's just a fact of life. And if Disney is like most hotels there are a BOATLOAD of "master keys" out there that are kind of "unowned"

I actually think I ran into your friends yesterday looking in the vending room for the camera. SOrry to hear about it. I didn't have any problems but everything but the laptop was in the safe. That's one of my complaints about BWV the laptop will not fit in the safe and this dingbat Apple product doesn't have a "locking" slot. (I did hide it but I admit that's not that safe!) My DSLR will fit if the lens is off however.

One of the things I have noticed walking up and down the hall at BWV (and they are long) is that a LOT of people seem to "prop" the door open using the security lock.. that's not what it's for folks! It's not a door stop. Someone could push open the door and "help themselves" to stuff you left by the door (like purses?) Not to mention that someone could enter your room and do much worse then take your stuff. If your friends and family are in the hotel let them knock on the door, don't just leave it open for them to come and go!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Oh my goodness, me too! There is such a thing as being too trusting, unfortunately that is true at WDW as well as anyplace else.

I'm very sorry for what happened to your friends. However, I don't think Disney should be expected to do anything to make up for it. Don't forget too that in this day an age something as simple as an I'm Sorry can be seen as and admission of guilt. No way WDW would want to look as if they had any kind of responsibility for what was a crime of opportunity.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
motofox4
DIS Veteran

Ok, so I just talked to my friends who are now home - this happened while they were in the villa.. They were upstairs in a bedroom while housekeeping came in. They didn't want to accuse anyone of anything because they didn't see if anyone else came into the room or not, they only saw the one housekeeper but it's always possible that someone else might have come in while the door was open with her cleaning the room...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

i'm sorry but that is absolutely terrible. what an awful feeling. hardly anything fits into that safe, cameras, laptops. we've zippered & locked as much as we could into the luggage of those larger bulky items and kept it locked when not in use in the closet, but how unfortunate.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

Quote:
Ok, so I just talked to my friends who are now home - this happened while they were in the villa.. They were upstairs in a bedroom while housekeeping came in. They didn't want to accuse anyone of anything because they didn't see if anyone else came into the room or not, they only saw the one housekeeper but it's always possible that someone else might have come in while the door was open with her cleaning the room...
That's the thing that makes me nervous about leaving things out. The housekeepers leave the door open when they clean. With a villa, the housekeeper could be a different room and anyone could slip in and grab something near the door.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
.. They were upstairs in a bedroom while housekeeping came in.
I though all BWV 3-bedroom were on the same floor???

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
I though all BWV 3-bedroom were on the same floor???
5 are one floor, 2 are two floor. The 2 two floor are on the 5th floor (& 6th) under the "Boardwalk" sign.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: