Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Travelingdad
Mouseketeer

I have a free day near WDW by myself. Am thinking of checking out the resorts we have not stayed in yet(which is almost all of them) so can get a feel for the different themes an which might fit us on our next trip. I also wanted to get a day of exercise in since been on a lot of flights lately, too much sitting.

So my question is how possible is it to walk from resort to resort? I am not worried about distance or weather, more concerned about safe and clear path or roads. I do not
recall if any of the roads within the grounds have sidewalks or pathways.

Last edited by Travelingdad; 09-12-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Travelingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

It is possible to walk between some resorts:

Poly to Grand Floridian
Beach Club - Boardwalk - Swan/Dolphin
Port Orleans Riverside - Port Orleans French Quarter
Pop Century - Art of Animation
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Wilderness Lodge - Fort Wilderness

I'm not sure about the three All Stars since I've never been there, but they share amenities so I'm thinking you can.

Those are the ones I can think of - mostly only 2 at a time would be walkable without needing another form of transportation to get to another location. All others would require dangerous highway walking.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I did a solo, all resorts, no parks trip a few years ago. I go the week after Thanksgiving, so it is a wonderful time to tour the resorts. I also plan either a meal or a trip to the bar as well.

Since I stay at POR; I would end my day at resort, and then take the bus back to DTD and then the water taxi back to POR. It made for a lovely way to end the evening.

I mixed it up with walking and using the transportation other than the buses and it was a lot of fun. Definitely a new experience.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I assume you'll have a car, so with that in mind.....I would head to TTC, park there. Yes, it will cost you about $14 or so to park for the day. Then, take the monorail around the MK resorts. When you get back to the TTC, take the bus to DHS...from there, walk, or boat, over to the Epcot resorts....they are easily walked to from each other. Then, go back to DHS and take the bus to AKL!!! Don't want to miss that one. Then bus to MK from there, and a boat over to WL. Boat back to MK and then take a bus to a moderate resort if you want...I would head to POR and then take the boat to DTD...wander there for a bit, then bus to AoA.....then bus back to MK and ferry or monorail over to TTC to get your car.
What a great way to fill in a day...without having to pay to enter a park!!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
It is possible to walk between some resorts:

Poly to Grand Floridian
Beach Club - Boardwalk - Swan/Dolphin
Port Orleans Riverside - Port Orleans French Quarter
Pop Century - Art of Animation
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Wilderness Lodge - Fort Wilderness
Good list, I would also add Yacht Club to line 2. And it is very easy to take the monorail and travel from GF, to CR, to Poly, you can knock all three of those out quickly. Oh, and you can also walk to Saratoga Springs from DTD.
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh

Good list, I would also add Yacht Club to line 2. And it is very easy to take the monorail and travel from GF, to CR, to Poly, you can knock all three of those out quickly. Oh, and you can also walk to Saratoga Springs from DTD.
Thanks - missed the Yacht Club!
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

You can also walk between all three All Star resorts. They're all connected via the parking lots (but you'll end up walking through the parking lots, which are safe, but pretty boring!).

For the MK day, you could just part at the TTC, walk to the Poly, walk to the GF and then take the monorail to CR and then back to the TTC. I haven't walked from the TTC to the Poly, but it sounds like an easy walk.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
For the MK day, you could just part at the TTC, walk to the Poly, walk to the GF and then take the monorail to CR and then back to the TTC. I haven't walked from the TTC to the Poly, but it sounds like an easy walk.
Here's a detailed pictorial of the path:

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...ter/#more-5447
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
J&J
DIS Veteran

walk

you cant walk from hotel to hotel some do not have sidewalks.certain hotels you can walk to like the BW, BC, Swan and Dophin.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Travelingdad
Mouseketeer

Figured I'd post to close the loop on this one. Here is what I ended up doing, starting at the Holiday Inn near Downtown Disney.
* From Holiday Inn to walkway around lakeside of Saratoga Springs, cut through center to catch bus.
* Bus to Contemporary for a quick breakfast of Mickey waffle and coffee.
* monorail to Polynesian. Walked around property, checked out Lobby.
* Walk to wedding chapel area then headed to Grand Floridian.
* walked Grand Floridian property, main lobby then back to Polynesian to take ferry to WDW.
* Bus to Art of Animation. Walked property, a few loops to check the great decor out. (amazing work on the exteriors and pool areas). Quick lunch at AOA.
* Walked over bridge to Pop, toured property. Fun atmosphere that I had heard of but not seen before.
* bus to Downtown Disney
* Ferry to POFQ.
* walk from docks to POR and toured property. Love POR resort.
* walk back to POFQ and more walking the property. Gave me a better impression of resort than I had before.
* Ferry back to Downtown Disney then walk to hotel.

Later that night bus to WDW for MNSSHP and a little more walking to see the decorations, the parade ( really worth seeing) and villain show (not bad).

Total distance for the day = 20 miles. About 11 miles were walked in the resort tours, rest at WDW park.

Was a great way to see things normally too busy to take note of. I had zero plan just decided where to go next when the time came. The ease of getting around was amazing, would do this again and go to a whole different set of resorts and routes. A relaxing day to enjoy another side of WDW.

Last edited by Travelingdad; 11-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Travelingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if I would do it, but I like your day, travelingdad!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: