Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer
 
SumWhrOvrThRanBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kentucky Mama
Posts: 207

2 standard rooms vs. 1 family suite

My family & I will be taking our first trip to Disney NEXT Fall- yes I'm a guilty over-planner! I'm trying to decide on 2 standard rooms or 1 family suite- it will be 2 adults, 2 juniors, 2 children & an infant-- opinions please...
__________________


Keith (daddy) Jayna (mama) Alyssa (17)
Ryan (15) Jacob (9) Nolan (7) Macy (06/15/12)
SumWhrOvrThRanBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
robbies
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16

When I was looking at the same thing. It came down to money. The family suite is really only two normal rooms put together with a small kitchenette. For $50 more a night, which for our ten days would have cut into our disney toy money, you are only getting a microwave now that all the room come with a frig. With the family suite you could have some privacy but with your large crew this may not be possible anyway. If a microwave is worth the $50 a night to you then it is a consideration.
robbies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 7,052

Unless you need a small kitchenette, I'd say go for the two rooms. With two rooms you get four real double beds. With a suite, you'll get either one queen bed, and two pull down double size beds (AoA) or one queen bed and three pull out beds of various sizes (ASMu).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way
 
TigrLvsPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhrOvrThRanBo View Post
My family & I will be taking our first trip to Disney NEXT Fall- yes I'm a guilty over-planner! I'm trying to decide on 2 standard rooms or 1 family suite- it will be 2 adults, 2 juniors, 2 children & an infant-- opinions please...
Don't feel guilty at all! Planning a year in advance is a very smart thing to do, especially with a large family. Going to WDW for the first time can be overwhelming so it's good to break it down into small steps and take your time. Have you seen the new Art of Animation resort? I bet your kids would LOVE it! I haven't seen the family suites in person yet but all the photos look amazing. I can't imagine a better place to spend a first trip to Disney with a family your size. There are a lot of pics online of the different themes. I'm not sure if you have boys or girls but I know my boys would FLIP for the Cars themed suite. I think Disney was very smart to create these rooms because it allows families to be together in one area instead of having to split between 2 rooms. The benefit of having the larger eating area and kitchenette makes you feel more at home... here are some pics:





I just grabbed those off a google image search, there are tons more pics of the other themes to check out.

The big difference between the family suite and getting two rooms is you won't get 4 double beds. But by not having all those beds you open up more floor space and have more of a villa type "home away from home" feel.

This thread should be a huge help: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2966053
__________________
Erika Murphy
My WDW Resort stays: Grand Floridian 2012, 2003, 2001, 1994 * Polynesian 2013, 2011, 2008, 2008, 2005, 2003 * Contemporary 2014, 2008 * Bay Lake Tower 2013 *Boardwalk 2014, 2013, 2006, 2004 * Wilderness Cabin 1998 * Dixie Landings 1999 * All Star Music 2001 * Caribbean Beach Resort 2012, 2002 * Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2005 * Old Key West 2009, 2008, 2004, 2003, 2002 * Yacht Club 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2002 * Beach Club 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2003 * Swan 2006, 2005, 2003 * Pop Century 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 * Art of Animation 2014 * Wilderness Lodge 2014, 2011, 2004, 2003 * Saratoga Springs 2015, 2007 * Port Orleans French Quarter 2014, 2013, 2004 * Coronado Spring 2014 *
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
WDmommyof4
Mouseketeer
 
WDmommyof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 487

Are you planning on doing AoA or the suites at ASMu? If ASMu, one distinct advantage of the suites over two separate rooms is that they are all in preferred locations and there isn't an extra charge for it. My boys always loved the suites there, because there was more of an opportunity to get their own bed. You could share the bedroom, have the two small children share the pull out couch and the two juniors would be able to have their own beds. Also, I would think there would be more room for the infant bed in a suite. We always went with a suite over two rooms, but that is because I was usually alone with four young children and didn't want to chance not getting connecting rooms.
__________________


Me(30)
DS (12) DS (10)
DS (9) DS (7)
WDmommyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out
 
wdwmom0f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
Don't feel guilty at all! Planning a year in advance is a very smart thing to do, especially with a large family. Going to WDW for the first time can be overwhelming so it's good to break it down into small steps and take your time. Have you seen the new Art of Animation resort? I bet your kids would LOVE it! I haven't seen the family suites in person yet but all the photos look amazing. I can't imagine a better place to spend a first trip to Disney with a family your size. There are a lot of pics online of the different themes. I'm not sure if you have boys or girls but I know my boys would FLIP for the Cars themed suite. I think Disney was very smart to create these rooms because it allows families to be together in one area instead of having to split between 2 rooms. The benefit of having the larger eating area and kitchenette makes you feel more at home... here are some pics:





I just grabbed those off a google image search, there are tons more pics of the other themes to check out.

The big difference between the family suite and getting two rooms is you won't get 4 double beds. But by not having all those beds you open up more floor space and have more of a villa type "home away from home" feel.

This thread should be a huge help: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2966053
You are so right! The suites look great and it took me a while to decide, but when it came down to it I went with two rooms for two reasons. One, I hate the idea of fixing beds when we roll into the room real late at night after spending all of that time in the parks. The last thing I want to do is make a bed out of a chair or what ever. Two, the cost was quite a bit more over our 9 night stay. It wasn't worth it to me. I will also note that we don't spend much time in the rooms at all. Time is money at Disney and we spend most of our time in the parks.

We booked two rooms, one with a king bed for DH and me, and one room for the kids. It was fantastic! The mess stayed in their room. DH and I had quiet time, two TVs and plenty of space. I didn't miss having a tiny kitchenette at all.
__________________
Carla DH DD 21 DD 16 DS 13
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,816

Just so you're aware, you're not guaranteed to get connecting rooms. Since you say you booked a king bed, it sounds like you're staying at a Moderate resort? There may not be a lot of king rooms that connect to other rooms.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
tennessee
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 86

You can get a king at the values, have been doing it for years. I would go with the 2 rooms. Just better and the price for a suite is way to much compare to two rooms.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer
 
SumWhrOvrThRanBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kentucky Mama
Posts: 207

Does AOA offer standard rooms? I would really like to stay there. No garuntee on connected rooms kinda makes me nervous.
__________________


Keith (daddy) Jayna (mama) Alyssa (17)
Ryan (15) Jacob (9) Nolan (7) Macy (06/15/12)
SumWhrOvrThRanBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhrOvrThRanBo View Post
Does AOA offer standard rooms? I would really like to stay there. No garuntee on connected rooms kinda makes me nervous.
The little mermaid section is standard rooms but while WDW does everything to accommodate connecting rooms and usually do so, there is a very small chance you might not get them.
__________________
Me , DH , DS 3 , and DS 3
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
AntFarm
Mouseketeer
 
AntFarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 200

I don't mean to hijack thread, but does anyone know the availability or likelihood of getting a king bed room that connects to a two double bed room at one of the values or moderates? This would be ideal for our family instead of getting a suite. Which resort would be our best bet for getting this kind of set up ( we are open to all values and moderates)?
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,077

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntFarm View Post
I don't mean to hijack thread, but does anyone know the availability or likelihood of getting a king bed room that connects to a two double bed room at one of the values or moderates? This would be ideal for our family instead of getting a suite. Which resort would be our best bet for getting this kind of set up ( we are open to all values and moderates)?
There is no way to really know ahead of time. It all depends on room availability the day you check in. Disney doesn't X out a room for you when you book it. They pre-assign rooms a few days out, but even then, the assignment is not written in stone.

Bedding types, room location, and connecting rooms are all requests. You have no way of knowing ahead of time if those requests will be honored or not.

I want to add too that out of 6 times requesting connecting rooms, we have been denied them one time. So odds are good you will get them if requested, but they are not a given.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
meredith1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 894

Our next trip it will be me, my H and three children (5 yrs and twins that will be 3) as well as, my parents-so, seven of us as well. We will be there 5 nights and six days.

I priced out a two bedroom suite at the GF -it was $18,000 with tickets and DxDP

Then, priced out two queen deluxe bedrooms at the GF w/ MK view, tickets and DxDP- $15,000.

Finally I checked into renting points from David's DVC Vacation rentals for a two bedroom suite at BLT w/MK view-I believe it sleeps 9 people.

Two bedroom suite, MK view, at BLT- $3250 (five nights)
Deluxe Dining Plan $2068 (based on 2012 prices)
Tickets- $2483 (6 day park hoppers) We were given tickets so, we don't have to pay for tickets. : )

Total to rent DVC points and stay at BLT in two bed suite is- $7801.00-That's a whole separate trip to Disney-doing everything first class. My jaw nearly fell open when I was quoted that 18,000 at GF and that wasn't even a MK view!!!!

If you decide on renting at a DVC resort, you'll also get the full kitchen and washer and dryer in your unit-that's priceless with the kids.
__________________
Dec, 2011-Contemorary Resort/TPV
Dec, 2013-Grand Floridian/TPV

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
AntFarm
Mouseketeer
 
AntFarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith1
Our next trip it will be me, my H and three children (5 yrs and twins that will be 3) as well as, my parents-so, seven of us as well. We will be there 5 nights and six days.

I priced out a two bedroom suite at the GF -it was $18,000 with tickets and DxDP

Then, priced out two queen deluxe bedrooms at the GF w/ MK view, tickets and DxDP- $15,000.

Finally I checked into renting points from David's DVC Vacation rentals for a two bedroom suite at BLT w/MK view-I believe it sleeps 9 people.

Two bedroom suite, MK view, at BLT- $3250 (five nights)
Deluxe Dining Plan $2068 (based on 2012 prices)
Tickets- $2483 (6 day park hoppers) We were given tickets so, we don't have to pay for tickets. : )

Total to rent DVC points and stay at BLT in two bed suite is- $7801.00-That's a whole separate trip to Disney-doing everything first class. My jaw nearly fell open when I was quoted that 18,000 at GF and that wasn't even a MK view!!!!

If you decide on renting at a DVC resort, you'll also get the full kitchen and washer and dryer in your unit-that's priceless with the kids.
What an amazing deal! I am going to have to take a second look into renting DVC points. The reasons I haven't looked further into this before is because it is nonrefundable and renting points for a two bedroom always seemed so high when we could take advantage of other big discounts; but our dream has always been to stay at BLT, Kidani, or VWL :-)
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.