Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #31
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Thanks!!

BOOKED!!!

Have ended up shortening AoA to 4 nights. By the time we arrive after such a long journey it's always late afternoon so we only ever grab dinner and a beer (if we feel like a beer) at the resort the first night anyway so hopefully we'll actually be able to get our tickets the morning after we arrive. If not the absolute worst will mean that we have 3 days to hang by the pool, go to Downtown Disney or hit the outlets !

Excited!!!!

mo x
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #32
married2mm
DIS Veteran

fantastic

have a great trip-never done a split stay, but stayed at ssr last year in a 2 bedroom villa-it was lovely
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mo View Post
Thanks!!

BOOKED!!!

Have ended up shortening AoA to 4 nights. By the time we arrive after such a long journey it's always late afternoon so we only ever grab dinner and a beer (if we feel like a beer) at the resort the first night anyway so hopefully we'll actually be able to get our tickets the morning after we arrive. If not the absolute worst will mean that we have 3 days to hang by the pool, go to Downtown Disney or hit the outlets !

Excited!!!!

mo x
Sounds like what we do when we get to WDW. We always arrive in the afternoon and spend the day settling in and going to those outlets. We can't seem to go down without stopping at the outlets.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was thinking maybe 5 nights at AoA then 9 at wherever else!?
Sounds good to me We love POR, it's our fav moderate. We prefer the mansion section, rooms have recently been refurbed, queen beds, very nice.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #35
Marshypooh
Mouseketeer

Another fan of split stays. We have done this three times in the past and have never had any problems. As others have mentioned it is best to do a split stay when you have at least 12 days plus available. Still gives you plenty of time/days in the parks plus time to explore both of the resorts you are staying at, pool time, and other activities such as DTD. We always drive to WDW, so we move our own luggage. Once again, no problems and only took up about two hours of our day. It really is fun and does feel like you are on two different adventures.

Have a great time in the US and I hope to visit beautiful Scotland some day!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #36
Tinker_Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Since you'll be there for two weeks, giving up a day to pack, and move, and then unpack, won't be a huge issue.
I love to do split stays. This coming Dec, I spend one night at AoA (LM room!!), move to SSR for five nights, then over to BWV for my last night...staying with a friend. Disney will move the bags for you...but keep in mind that it isn't a quick thing. You will spend most of the day without your bags.
I would split your stays up by weeks...spend a week at AoA, then move to OKW. Even if you split it up 5 at AoA and then 9 at OKW, it will still give you a good feel for AoA.

On the day that you move, pack your stuff up (actually, I prefer to do it before I head to bed the night before), hand the bags off to Luggage Assistence at AoA. Then, head to a park for a few hours. Around 1-2pm, head to OKW, get checked in. If your studio isn't ready yet (and it probably won't be), get something to eat there. Check out the area..maybe head over to DTD for a few hours while your room is readied. Then, when you get word that the studio is ready, head back. If you're lucky, your bags will be there as well...I have yet to get my bags prior to 5pm!!!
Then, head off to a park for the evening. You should only lose about 2-3 hrs of true park time by changing resorts.
Sorry to hijack...but I just want to make sure...

Will bell services leave our bags in our room if we're not there? (We're doing our first split stay too.)
Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_Belle

Sorry to hijack...but I just want to make sure...

Will bell services leave our bags in our room if we're not there? (We're doing our first split stay too.)
No. Only Magical Express will put your bags in the room when you are not there. You will have to call Bell services to have your bags brought to the room. The PP meant your bags may be at the new resort.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #38
Tinker_Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
No. Only Magical Express will put your bags in the room when you are not there. You will have to call Bell services to have your bags brought to the room. The PP meant your bags may be at the new resort.
Thank you! I would've been waiting a long time!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #39
scanne
OK, I must have really small ears
It is great to get exposure
Might get a tutorial from a student

Location: NJ but I wish I lived somewhere in Florida like Cinderella's Castle!

This past summer we did 6 nights at POR with the deluxe dining plan and 6 nights at Wilderness Lodge and stayed club level. I do like the DxDP - I planned it all out ahead of time and was sure we used all of our entitlements so nothing got wasted. We ate very well the first 6 nights.

Then we switched to club level at WL which was a different world altogether. Very relaxed, no need to rush anywhere for ADR's and we found the lounge offerings very adequate for breakfast and even a couple of light suppers.

I would not hesitate to do a spilt stay like this again. And I agree with a previous poster that it is like two vacations in one.

Have fun planning!
1/92 CBR;12/96 ASMu; 6/98 CSR; 6/00 GF; 4/01 Disneyland; 6/01 Polynesian; 12/01 AK and GF; 8/03 WL; 2/04 ASMu; 10/04 WL; 7/05 Polynesian; 10/05 WL; 7/06 WL; 9/06 GF; 7/07 POP and Polynesian; 12/07 WL; 8/08 Beach Club; 6/09 Beach Club; 7/10 Portofino Bay and Polynesian; 8/11 Royal Pacific and WL; 10/11 - Animal Kingdom Lodge for MNSSHP; 7 and 8/12 Split stay at POR (Royal Guest Room) and Wilderness Lodge again ; 8/13 WL OFC!; 11/13 - Disneyland Paradise Pier; 2/2014 Wilderness Lodge/RunDisney!; 8/2014 Hard Rock Hotel/Beach Club - Stone Harbor Club/Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf for my 40th Birthday!

scanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
... plus we might hire a car for a couple of days at the start and go to Legoland (son is OBSESSED with Lego) so prob eat off site anyway a few times...

All input greatly appreciated. Thanks x
Just wanted to make sure you know that there's a pretty impressive Lego store in DTD.

Quote:
Thanks!!

BOOKED!!!

Excited!!!!

mo x
Have fun planning, you'll have 2 plans, one for if you can activate the tickets early and the second for if you can't.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #41
Tinker_Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's good to know, thanks. I'd probably phone to check before I book anyway. Wouldn't expect to use the dining credits earlier anyway so that's fine and think we'd want to do AoA a little bit longer than 3 days plus we might hire a car for a couple of days at the start and go to Legoland (son is OBSESSED with Lego) so prob eat off site anyway a few times. Don't think I want to stay as long as a week at AoA though.

All input greatly appreciated. Thanks x
We're planning a trip to Legoland too (a lot of why we're doing the split stay too...doing all the off-property things before heading over to BC). It's really only 3 turns out of WDW...not a bad drive (even for me). We're going to rent a car from Alamo on property (A LOT cheaper than at the airport). My DS is also obsessed with Legos!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #42
monica9
DIS Veteran

Get the packing cubes for your suitcase and separate the clothes for the 1st resort from the second or designate one large suitcase for all of you for just one resort and then throw it all in there when youre done and you won't really need to take too much time packing. Or you can do like we are doing. We are doing an awkward 2 night at All star sports, 2 nights at renaissance hotel at seaworld and then 7 nights at Wilderness lodge. I have all of my outfits in ziploc bags and labeled with which resort it will be for. When we are done wearing the clothes, they get put back into the ziploc bag.
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #43
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

I love split stays. If it were up to me, I would stay a few days at a MK resort, then a few days at an Epcot resort with boat access to HS, and then AKL for AK. But DH would never go for this lol. He is fine with switching twice in one trip but not 3 or more times. If you are staying 2 weeks, definately switch it up!
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: