Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
I think it could go either way. This past trip we had a 2 week stay, we did 10 nights at the Coronado and then the rest at Pop.

It was a pretty big hassle to get all our stuff packed up from Coronado and I felt like it took away some of our park time that day. We had a lot of stuff...4 MNSSHP costumes, Tower of Terror 10 mile running gear, more vinylmations than I will admit to purchasing...

I had our window decorated for Halloween at Coronado and then just really didn't feel like re doing it for Pop.

Also...I did not like Pop at all. It could have been because we enjoyed our time at the Coronado so much, I'm not really sure why we didn't like it because I know everyone on the board loves it. We've also stayed at 2 all stars and enjoyed those...so I'm not sure why but we didn't enjoy Pop alot and I kept wishing we were back at Coronado.

So you do run the risk of falling in love with the first resort and then being disappointed with the second. I think in the future we will stick with one resort.
Good tip is to never stay in a higher category first. A person tends to get spoiled by the amenities of the higher category then misses them...i.e. hot tub, queen beds, bigger room, sit down restaurants.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Yes that's what I was thinking! Thanks x
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger's ally View Post
Good tip is to never stay in a higher category first. A person tends to get spoiled by the amenities of the higher category then misses them...i.e. hot tub, queen beds, bigger room, sit down restaurants.
I agree 100% We tried it once .... never again.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We are doing a split stay next year June 2013.

We are staying for 2 weeks.

1 week at BLT
1 week at AKL-Kidani or BCV

We love to split up a 2 week stay. It makes our stay feel different and split. It is more exciting and you are not coming back to the same place for 2 weeks straight.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #20
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw
We love split stays. It's like multiple vacations in one
This is how we feel about splits too. A change in latitude can also change the attitude. We're at the World right now. We first stayed at the Beach Club villas and are now in the villa at AKL. my family, and mostly my autistic son were pretty unhappy at the Beach Club. Not the CMs or the pool. They were great. It was just the room. A 2 bedroom and we were just still underwhelmed. We came today to a 1 BR villa at AKV club level and you wouldn't believe the difference in mood change. My autistic son who has spent the last 4 nights crying or SCREAMING for hours about sleeping at the BCVimmediately made himself at home here and was squealing and smiling. That means he's very happy. So our split had unintended graces and benefits. We move to the Treehouse villas in 3 days. I hope that final split will be met w/ equal joy.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
myzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mo View Post
From the UK they are currently offering free dining for most of next year if you book now inclusive of park tickets but if it's a value no free dining, if it's a mod then free quick service and if it's a Deluxe then free Dining Plan. So we would do AoA first with no dining and would have to book our 2 week park ticket with the second part of the trip in order to get the dining included. I think I would need to book two separate bookings and start the park ticket early. People staying off property can buy the same park ticket and just activate it the first time they need to use it and it runs two weeks from then.

I think I would phone Disney to check all this before booking though just incase. Don't want stuck in a hotel with no park tickets that we can use! That would be sad!

OhioStateBuckeye that's interesting what you said about Pop, we liked Pop until one day we went back to POR for lunch for a little reminisce and after that Pop just annoyed us for the rest of the hols. That's the reason I'd want to do AoA at the start so you are going up a level rather than dropping down.

Does anyone have any experience of OKW or SSR? Can get the same deal on both and not finding anything that puts one infront of the other.

mo x
Location, location, location. OKW is a great resort nice atmosphere good pool bus service is nice, can't really say anything bad about it, the studios are a nice size. However... if you want to spend some time at DTD it is a short walk from SSR, newer resort same amenities with more bus stops and a bit more spread out.

The boat to DTD from OKW is a nice touch, I like it but it may be a bit too slow for some.
myzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akl-fan View Post
I think your son will love AOA it looks great but I would have had enough after a few days especially in a LM room. I assume you are not getting a suite. If you were going for a suite it might swing my decision as you could get some alone time in the evening.
I feel the same way. We just got back from a split stay with 2 nights at the POP century, 5 nights at Saratoga Springs and 1 night at Art of Animation in a Little Mermaid room. I don't think I could handle having that room for more than 1 night. It would be great for younger kids, but I thought the decor was a bit much. I don't think we have ever done a trip that stayed at the resort the whole time in the 23 years I've been going to WDW. My mother manages to find really great deals but they only work for a certain number of nights which is why we move around a bit. If you're staying for 2 weeks, I'd split it if you could get a good deal. I know I would get bored with staying in one place for 2 weeks.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #23
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! Think we are going to do 5 nights AoA and 9 nights SSR. Just waiting for hubby's leave to be confirmed!!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

We have had many split stays over the years and really love it. We just returned last week from a 2 night stay at Bay Lake Towers, 6 nights at AKL and 2 nights at POR. We had a great time. I always do the on-line check in so we only have a short wait to get our new room. Disney also does a super job of moving your luggage to your new resort also. I say go for it.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from Michigan View Post
We have had many split stays over the years and really love it. We just returned last week from a 2 night stay at Bay Lake Towers, 6 nights at AKL and 2 nights at POR. We had a great time. I always do the on-line check in so we only have a short wait to get our new room. Disney also does a super job of moving your luggage to your new resort also. I say go for it.
Bay Lake Towers looks amazing! But WAY too expensive for us. Just don' t get any of the discounts over here that you guys seem to get unless I just have no idea how to sign up for them!? LOL!

I'm getting excited now so will actually cry if hubby doesn't get the leave period we need!!

mo x
Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mo
Bay Lake Towers looks amazing! But WAY too expensive for us. Just don' t get any of the discounts over here that you guys seem to get unless I just have no idea how to sign up for them!? LOL!

I'm getting excited now so will actually cry if hubby doesn't get the leave period we need!!

mo x

You are so right Miss Mo BLT is really expensive. We are DVC owners so we just use our points to stay at BLT, AKL etc. One thing to think about is renting points to stay at a DVC resort. You can rent points for $12 or lower most of the time. We did this many years ago before we became DVC owners ourselves.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #27
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

OH NO!!!!

I have just gone to book our split stay - 5 nights AoA followed by 9 nights SSR - BUT ... I need to do two bookings, I expected this, but I need to book my park tickets with the second booking for SSR in order to get free dining. I expected this. But I have been told by Disney that I wouldn't be able to get my tickets until we checked into SSR. So we would have 5 days at Disney with no tickets!! Which we obviously don't want!!

Would be fine if we went to SSR first but not the other way round but we wanted the fun, chaotic bit at the start and the chilled out bit with free dining at the end!!

I really don't know what to do now! :-( Do we just go two weeks at AoA with no dining!? Or put AoA to the end? I have totally promised my 4 year old we'll go to AoA so don't want not to (plus I really do want to go there too)

Confused!!! Help!!

mo x
Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #28
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Actually, you can pick up your tickets 3-days prior to checking in at SSR. This is from the "Everything About WDW Tickets sticky, post #15, posted here.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684

I. Picking up Package Tickets Prior To Start Of Package

In cases where Walt Disney World Resort Guests would like to begin using their Package Tickets prior to the day of check-in (up to three days in advance), the Guests will be directed to visit any Theme Park or DTD Guest Relations location and request Early Ticket Pick-Up. (Note this cannot be done at a water park.)

It is only valid for people with packages at a Walt Disney World owned and operated Resort. You can be staying off-property at the time you pick up the tickets. Note that if you have a package which includes Dining, although you can pick up your tickets early you cannot get access to the Dining until you have actually checked in to your Resort.

Note that since August 2011 the Call Centers have been telling Guests this cannot be done. However it is still a valid procedure and can be done with no problem at Park Guest Relations Windows.

There is a possibility that if your package and the stay prior to the package are at the same Resort that you will be able to get the tickets at the Resort and not have to go to a Park Guest Relations Office.

And the tickets issued will be valid for the entire stay; they will not receive valid tickets when they actually check-in to their resort. There is a strong possibility that the tickets you have received prior to check-in cannot be added to your KTTW on or after check-in.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #29
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Ooh thank you very much for that!! That would only give us a couple of days without tickets and they could be resort/DTD days anyway!!

I do like to hit MK very early that first day though since the time difference always means we are up really early for the first couple of days and we get later and later as the holiday goes on!

mo x
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
phi2012
Mouseketeer

We had the same problem and ended up swapping our weeks around. Not ideal but we needed to go to Disney on the 2nd day of holiday next June as we are wanting to go to the star wars weekend. The Disney staff did say that you can pick up the tickets 3 days early which might work for you unfortunately for us it wasn't an option. Good luck and hope this works out for you. :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: