Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Is a three night cruise worth it??

So I just have to ask this question again. I know it has been asked before, perhaps even by me!

Is a three night cruise worth it? I am really hoping that we as a family would be able to tell from this cruise if the experience is something we want to repeat.

I would love to hear again about your experiences with the three night cruise. Anyone care to share??
Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Is it better than no cruise? Definitely! But you will leave wanting more!!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
GrassMaster
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3
So I just have to ask this question again. I know it has been asked before, perhaps even by me!

Is a three night cruise worth it? I am really hoping that we as a family would be able to tell from this cruise if the experience is something we want to repeat.

I would love to hear again about your experiences with the three night cruise. Anyone care to share??
We have only done one 3 night and it was without the kids. It was wonderful, in fact we are doing it again next month. It goes by so fast but it will at least give you a taste.
GrassMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

For us, a 3 night cruise involves the same flights, transportation to the port, etc. as a 7 night in terms of expense and hassle. We essentially lose one day either side from transportation (ok, can fly home day we get off cruise.)

The only way I'd even consider a 3 night would be on a fantastic bargain and combined with a WDW trip. Otherwise, it isn't worth the "getting there."

Better than no cruise--definitely. But a 4 night is not 1/3 better than a 3 night. It's a WHOLE LOT better.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
NCConch
Mouseketeer

We chose a 3 night cruise due to the fact my wife and kids have not cruised before. In Navy parlance, this is a shakedown cruise. If one of us (wife) doesn't like it there is less misery.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCConch View Post
We chose a 3 night cruise due to the fact my wife and kids have not cruised before. In Navy parlance, this is a shakedown cruise. If one of us (wife) doesn't like it there is less misery.

My DH just read this response and said "true that!!"
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

I had asked that same questions when we taking our very first cruise ever. In 2011 It was between a 3 night and a 4 night. We were a little apprehensive about going for a longer cruise so we figured the 3 or 4 night would get our feet wet. While everyone said we'd want a longer cruise, they recommended at least the 4 night and that's what we did along with a Disney World visit. We LOVED it! And now we're getting ready for our 3rd cruise in March which is a 7 night!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

December 2010 - MVMCP
October 2011 - Disney Dream Bahamian and MNSSHP
September 2012 - Disney Magic Canada
March 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western
December 2014 - Disney Wonder Western and MVMCP
Mandersons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post

Count me in the camp of believing a 4 night is much, much better than the 3 night. Part of my cruise enjoyment is being at sea, and that just doesn't happen on the 3 night (first day you are busy eating etc. as soon as you depart and it is dark soon, 2nd day you're in the dock in Nassau, 3rd day you're in the dock at Castaway. I relish the day at sea...it is comfortable, the ocean is calming and serene, there are activities on the sea day not on the shorter cruise, you can have brunch at Palo or Remy, there is one more great show, more time to explore the ship, etc.

Since a 3 night is really only a 2 day cruise, the 4 night is 50% more days away and aboard ship (it is a 3 day cruise).

Also, on the 3 night cruise, first night is "welcome" and the second night they're already telling you how to pack your bags and fill out the customs form for debarking.

I know and agree that 3 nights are great, and of course much better than nothing, but I would see if I could find the time and extra money for the 4 night, I believe the increased value and enjoyment is well worth it.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

The DisBoards convinced us to do a 4-night instead of a 3-night and I am very glad we did! We were first time cruisers (with a 2 and 4 yr old) and LOVED it. For us, the 3 night would have been way too short. The 4-night was a good first time experience.

That being said, the 3-nights must be popular and people enjoy them or they wouldn't offer them!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

A 3 night cruise is a fine cruise. We have done 3 nights, 4nights, 7 nights and 7+ nights. We enjoy them all. Longer cruises give us more value and we would always pick longer of course, but sometimes we can fit a 3 night cruise into a long weekend and then we can take a cruise without really using up any vacation days or days where we would otherwise be making money more for cruises. For us the flight is only about 2.5 hours to MCO so sometimes we just take a long weekend in orlando or catch a quick cruise then back to work the next day.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
cflmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3

We did two 7-night cruises and then did a 3-night. Never again! If you are going to go, then at least do a 4-night. The 3-night one just goes by too quick. You're never on the ship! You're always in port. So if you are on the new ships, you have limited time to explore, ride the aqua-duct, and shop! We are going again in 2014, and it will be a 7-night cruise. The 3-night ones are good if you only have a long weekend or you want to test out your sea legs!

Janet
2011 - Disney Magic 7-night Eastern Carribean
2011 - Disney World Florida (Hollywood Studios)
2012 - Disney World Florida (Animal Kingdom)
2012 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
2012 - Disney World Florida (Epcot)
2012 - Disney World Florida (MNSSHP)
2014 - Disney World Florida (Magic Kingdom)
2014 - Disney Fantasy 7-night Western Carribean
cflmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Not worth the money, IMHO. My family had only ever done 7 night cruises before we took a chance with the 4-night Dream last January. We had an absolute blast but it was too short. We're going again at the end of this month with more family and friends who have never cruised before, and I imagine they'll feel the same way. For us, we love Disney and being less than an hour away from Port Canaveral, so for budget reasons the Dream is the best deal right now over the Fantasy. Plus, I'm a teacher, so taking a full week off from school is not good. While the 3-night would've been better, schedule-wise, if you're going to spend a good chunk of change, no less than 4 nights will do.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
My 2 princesses
Can't Wait To Go Back...I've Been Bitten By The Bug:)

I don't know but I will find out soon This is our first trip and with 2 young kids, we are not sure how they or even us for that matter, will handle it, hence we booked a 3 night cruise but a GTY rate, so we feel like we are getting a deal. We also included 2 days at WDW before our cruise and 1 night after, so to justify the cost of the flight/transfers etc, as PP said. If we do like it, we will perhaps go again!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
lundve
DIS Veteran

I have done a five cruises of varying lengths- a 10, 5, two 4s and a 3. We thought the three was awful because you couldn't possibly choose between things you want to do. I swear they still try to cram in the same number of activities as four. We swore never again! That being said a FOUR is way better but a 5 was actually our favorite. Two stops at Castaway was amazing - it's just too bad they are not doing those anymore.....

lundve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
vacationsitis
Mouseketeer

We fly all the way from CA & anything less than 7 nights is not worth the trouble. We save up & just do the longer cruises. If we were living in Florida or somewhere close-by then shorter cruises would make sense.
vacationsitis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: