Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #91
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

Was this person in your FE group or was it someone who was just walking the halls putting flyers in FEs?
Dallas_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #92
SaraCat
Earning My Ears

I am a bit worried about my plans for my FE gifts after reading this thread. I have a small craft business making something (I don't want to say what item and spoil my surprise) and I thought I would do a special DCL version for the FE, the item has a small logo tag sewn in which I put on all my items. Would this be considered advertising as I guess should people be interested about the gift they might check out the 'brand'??
SaraCat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #93
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraCat View Post
I am a bit worried about my plans for my FE gifts after reading this thread. I have a small craft business making something (I don't want to say what item and spoil my surprise) and I thought I would do a special DCL version for the FE, the item has a small logo tag sewn in which I put on all my items. Would this be considered advertising as I guess should people be interested about the gift they might check out the 'brand'??
I wouldn't be worried about something like this. I think the worry is the more blatant advertising like the Tupperware lady who seemed to just want everyone to buy Tupperware from her.

You've actually piqued my curiosity!

capshockeygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #94
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraCat View Post
I wouldn't be bothered by that at all. If anything, I'd be thrilled to know I had a handcrafted, unique item.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #95
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Does not appear to be in the best taste, although it's understandable as those who work for themselves have to scare up business any way they can. But then, you do not have to take them up on the offer. Hopefully if you see them during the cruise, they will not get pushy.

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 11-06-2012 at 12:34 PM.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #96
Disneylandfanatic
Annual Passholder since 2008

I don't feel that getting a business card with an item would be out of line... It would be interesting to me to see what the business was and ways to contact them should I want more in the future. If it was something that I was completely not interested in, I would simply toss the card and think nothing of it. People can certainly cross the line, like the ta saying she could meet on the ship, that seems to be way too much. A simple card however would not offend me at all.

Completed:
January 4, 2014: Fantasy Western Carribean

"To all who come to this happy place: Welcome."-Walt Disney
Disneylandfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #97
RoniBoBoni
Don't know if I'm elated or gassy...

I am one of the ones that wouldn't mind a business card, especially since I an getting to know these people and knowing what they to for a living is interesting to me. With that said, a business card, no big deal. A flyer requesting to meet, awkward. Provide your info, if there id interest, they will seek you out. During or after the vacation. I totally understand having to make a living and if you come up with a creative gift, I might want to purchase and give on future fe exchanges, do a business card is okay.
DD 5
RoniBoBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #98
SaraCat
Earning My Ears

Thanks! I feel much better now and will continue with my plans
SaraCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #99
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

I have participated in many FEs and have received a few business cards attached to gifts. Personally, I would rather just receive a regular card with the gift.

If I like the gift enough and would like another one or one like it, I would just get back on the FE exchange thread after the cruise and just ask the person (or complete board if I didn't know) if I could get another/customized one--which we have done a few times. I do understand the need to expand business in these difficult times, but would rather not get even the appearance of soliciting business on a FE exchange.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #100
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

I haven't participated in an exchange yet (planning on it on our upcoming cruise), but this is the way I look at it. If we meet up at the beginning of the cruise and you mention "I make..." or "I sell..." and I ask for information, feel free to pop a card or brochure in my FE. If I don't ask, assume there's no interest. However, if a flyer, business card, brochure, etc. is put in my FE that I did not request or have no interest in, no big deal. It'll probably just get an eye roll and tossed.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

1990ish - WDW - Off-site | 2000 - DLP | July 2011 - WDW - All-Star Music | October 2011 - DLR - Off-site | December 2012/ January 2013 - NYE Disney Cruise - Magic | February 2014 - WDW - Saratoga Springs - Glass Slipper Challenge | October 2014 - WDW - All-Star Music - Tower of Terror 10-Miler | February 2015 - WDW - AKV Kidani Village - Glass Slipper Challenge | November 2015 - DLR - Off-site - Avengers Half
EpicBilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #101
weHEARTmickey
Dreamin' of Disney.......

Goodness, I certainly hope I didn't offend anyone with my business cards. I am a TA who participated in an FE exchange on the 10/27 Magic with many other TAs. I gave my business cards, just so everyone could know who I was. I knew I wouldn't gain business from this action, I just thought it would be helpful. Please don't judge everyone who does this, as I promise I wasn't using the FE exchange as a business opportunity. (In fact, if I'd viewed the FE as such, I would've participated in the 10/6 FE exchange when my DH & I sailed without the kids, when there weren't nearly as many TAs on board.)

I wasn't offended when I received business cards in our gifts. I was just thankful for all the thoughtful gifts. We are considering going on the 12/15 Galveston 6 night cruise, and if we do participate in the FE exchange, I won't add my business cards.
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
June 2014: Last Minute Combo trip: Disney Dream + Coronado Springs Resort
UPCOMING Trips: WDW 2 weeks, Disneyland 1 week, AULANI 10 days
weHEARTmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #102
Mog's Mom
Mickey Fan

This might not be too popular a view, but here goes...

The rules of FE Exchange:
1. There are no rules.
2. See rule 1.

... so really, the only problem I see is complaining about what you received in your FE. It's supposed to be a fun diversion, so who needs the drama?

D.

DVC Members Feb 2012, 4 Night Dream + AKL Villas Feb 2012, 11 night Med May 2011, AKL + Magic Western Caribbean Feb 2010 (Only *8* day Caribbean ever!), AKL + Magic Eastern Caribbean Feb 2009, AKL + Magic Western Caribbean Feb 2008, Animal Kingdom Lodge Feb 2007, Wilderness Campground 2005, WDW Offsite Feb 2003, WDW Offsite Feb 2002, WDW Offsite Feb 2001, WDW Doubletree Disney Downtown Nov 1998, WDW Offsite March 1991, WDW Spring Break March 1987, WDW March 1978
Mog's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #103
alisrockin
Earning My Ears

It's all about the approach
alisrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #104
hotchpot
Earning My Ears

As long as it's not "in your face" I'm cool with it.

Magic - Baltic Cruise July 2015 / Magic - Thanksgiving 2014 / Wonder - Thanksgiving 2013 / Magic - Christmas 2012
Magic - Eastern Caribbean Oct 2011 / Magic - Western Caribbean Sept 2009 / Magic - Eastern Caribbean Sept 2006 / Wonder - Bahamas Dec 2005
Polynesian - WDW Dec 2004 / Wilderness Lodge - WDW Nov 2003 / Wilderness Lodge - WDW Nov 2002 / Disneyland - gazillion times

hotchpot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: