Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #61
MKwatercraftPilot
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
I'm wondering how people feel about this, too. I work in healthcare and have lots of marketers dropping off hand sanitizers, keychain flashlights, highlighters, etc, that people may find useful. IN ADDITION TO my crafty FE gifts, I'm considering slapping a Disney sticker on some of these to hand out, covering the company logo. Thoughts???

I think the hand sanitizers, flashlights, etc are a great gift, and very useful on the cruise.
If it were me I'd package them neatly as a cruise survival kit and on my little note saying who the gift is from, etc. I'd mention that you thought the products would be useful on the cruise and through your job, you happened to have access to the many free samples from companies and that you're not trying to promote anything, you just thought they would be useful.. It might be a little cheesy if it was your only gift and you mentioned that they were free, but since you are doing other things as well, I say that your effort in preparing them as a survival kit would be the "thought that counts" in this situation. I'd appreciate it as a receiver.

There's gotta be a better way to word the "They were free, but I thought they were useful" note... but I think it would be nice to mention that you're not promoting.

I wouldn't bother with the Disney stickers over the logo, might look like you were trying to class up the freebies.
MKwatercraftPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #62
Princess23
Earning My Ears

hummm...

We'll be participating in our first FE in December. Interested to see if we receive and "advertisements"!!

Princess23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #63
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Wow that travel agent thing is really annoying. I would have put a note back in her Fish saying, no thanks.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #64
Kbrush
Mouseketeer

When I get asked about who I am voting for these days I reply "Myself. There can be only one." (ref to the Highlander movie and series)
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #65
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

REminder

Political posts are not allowed.

Let's keep this thread on track discussing FE gifts and advertising.

But remember - if you have not been approved to advertise on DIS please do not mention what type of business you have especially if it's a home based, direct sales business.

Thanks for your cooperation
Old 10-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #66
Orchidkris
Earning My Ears

We received some very nice things that had company logos on them. I was not offended at all!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #67
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to follow up as I had originally posted that we received a small Tupperware in our FE. The consultant was creative, she included temporary tattoos and the Tupperware came with a cotton ball soaked with baby oil to take off the tattoo. Just wanted to clarify.
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #68
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyHitchhiker View Post
Let me clarify that imo, if you own your own business or do creative stuff on the side (the PP who does cruise/Disney related items), that's ok. There is actual thought going into the gifts and it makes sense to promote yourself if you have made a hand-made gift.

Tossing in Tupperware, there's no thought to that. Throwing in something with your major corporations logo on it is also not a gift I want in my FE (my husband works for a major corporation and there are always boxes of branded freebies lying around - I would *never* consider giving these as a gift!).

To me it's sad that this is apparently rampant enough that other DIS members have stopped doing the FE because it was too much advertising. I'm seriously thinking of making up No Solicitor signs for FEs now...
As a home based business consultant, I am amazed at your statement. Having pearticiated in a few FEs, I know that people spend money on things, some are not craft inspired. I have recieved first aid kits and sewing kits as well as snacks. If I decide to drop a sample into your FE, it will be with my card. I have to pay for all my product, so to "drop a piece" into your FE takes a bit of thinking and budgeting. I need to know how many to buy and then I have to spend money to do so, just like youhave to spend money to get whatever you give. I have NEVER given samples as a gift for an FE, but I see nothing wrong with it. I would not put a flyer, brochure or catalogue, but a little sample piece, why not?

PS if you have a no soliciting sign, I will be more than happy to skip your FE. Just don't compalin when you didn't get as much as you thought you would ir find out that others in your group got something fun
and you did not.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #69
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess
I don't think it would bother me unless they were trying to stalk me in the halls to push their products. Simply leaving a flyer, note, or token along with what they do wouldn't hurt. I would just toss what I'm not interested in and wouldn't give it a second thought. I actually think Tupperware from a rep is a great idea for an FE gift and a little printed plug for their business along with it would be ok too.
My thoughts too .. If you don't like it, ditch it!
Not sure why people are getting so upset about a bit of advertising ... Nobody made rules for the FE, it's give what you want to whom you want. If people want hand made, home crafted things, please don't join any FE I'm in .. I have the craft expertise of a gnat!!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Faroe Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #70
syrumani
Earning My Ears

I would think that in the weeks/months leading up to a cruise, the FE group would all become familiar with each other anyway - wouldn't they? The group would already know what you do, and if they were interested prior to the cruise, they would have already asked for info. Flyers or advertisements wouldn't be needed.

I don't see any problem in mentioning in that particular FE thread what a person does for a living. I personally do a craft thing from home, but I don't advertise it here on the boards. I may mention something I've made, and if someone asks for info, I will send a pm . . . Again, though, this would have been done before the cruise itself.

However, if someone made a handmade gift - I would not object to a business card being attached to the gift . . . it's the flyers and what that TA did that I wouldn't care for . . .
Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #71
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

I don't mind advertising freebies (hand sanitizer, post it notes, little toys for the kids) as long as it's useful stuff. I would much rather get that stuff as opposed to the bags of leftover halloween candy my kids have gotten on BOTH our cruises we participated in FE exchanges on!

My issue is flyers and catalogs for beauty products and hand bags and cooking supplies. I know enough local folks and facebook friends for that stuff.

I feel like its a waste if folks bring that stuff because most of it will end up in the trash bins on the ship making more garbage for the ship to deal with.

At least be polite about it and see if anyone is interested in aquiring one of your catalogs BEFORE the cruise and tell them you'll bring them and drop it in their FE. Chances are they wont get many takers

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

Last edited by mammacaryn; 10-28-2012 at 05:52 PM.
mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #72
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Since my cruise is right after Halloween, I'm ok with leftover Halloween candy I have to agree with pp. post it's & the like are ok but flyers and brochures are not.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #73
tmrose03
Mouseketeer

They are trying to get suckers like me! Lol!

Jan. 2014 Our First DCL Cruise-Wonder
tmrose03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #74
lady9
DIS Veteran

We had one person in our exchange put their business card in our FE but it was attached to a vinylmation so we were quite happy! I thought that was a nice gift, and I didn't mind taking their card. If it was something I was interested in, I might contact that person. As long as their is a gift as in the spirit of the FE exchange, I don't see anything wrong with attaching a business card. I wouldn't like to be stalked or pressured into something like a TA wanting me to give him/her my business while on the cruise. But a business card is harmless, toss it if you aren't interested.
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #75
missj1975
DIS Veteran

I have participated in four gift exchanges and never received any advertising. One of my cruises had 60 cabins and I don't recall receiving any advertising. If I receive something I don't like, I throw it away. Very simple to throw something away.

Even if I did receive advertising, I wouldn't be offended. Last time I checked there wasn't a "rule" on gifts for the gift exchange. If you don't like it, throw it away. The gift exchanges are so much fun, I wouldn't let a "bad" gift ruin it for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: