Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #31
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

What's a window walker?
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
Kbrush
Mouseketeer

Hi,
I've only done one FE game and am signed up for my second in March. My FE groups, both past and future, like to chat online. If I was worried about bothersome advertising I would discuss it with my fellow FE'ers ahead of time, rather than skipping the fun altogether.

Would a TA join an FE group just to pass out flyers? That seems rather labor intensive and desperate. I know my TA has young kids and loves everything Disney. If she participates in FE exchanges I'm sure it would primarily be for fun. But in this economy some people may just feel they cannot let any opportunity to get more business pass them by. If you hand out flyers can you deduct part of the cruise as a business expense?

I do think trying to set up a meeting is a bit off.

I would welcome Tupperware. I don't think receiving business-related gifts would be too terrible. It does sort of speak to the identity and interests of the giver. That said, I'd hate to get mugs or drink holders advertising pharmaceuticals!
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
oh, i forgot to mention... one of our FEs (although i'm not sure it was someone from our FE group or someone who took advantage of the free "mailbox") was a flyer sharing strong religious views... very inappropriate imo!
WAY out of line, and clearly someone I would avoid. This is a vacation, not a political or religious platform. I wouldn't appreciate the TA's approach, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidkris View Post
Ok, so then I have a question.
We are going on a cruise real soon. my mom works for a smaller company and they had some extra items that they had out with a company logo. One item we covered with a photo for something for the adults but the other gift is a window walker for the kids. We didn't cover the logo but we aren't trying to sell anything and we aren't including a business card, so... Are these items ok? I wouldn't want to offend anyone or should we cover the logo?
These aren't the only thing that we are including in our FE gifts.
Any help would be appreciated!
I'm wondering how people feel about this, too. I work in healthcare and have lots of marketers dropping off hand sanitizers, keychain flashlights, highlighters, etc, that people may find useful. IN ADDITION TO my crafty FE gifts, I'm considering slapping a Disney sticker on some of these to hand out, covering the company logo. Thoughts???
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #34
Orchidkris
Earning My Ears

It's shaped like a person doing a jumping jack with no head with sticky balls for hands and feet. You throw against window and it slowly walks down window. Wow, I guess I've never really had to explain. Hope it didn't sound gruesome (looks nothing like person, just shape, for reference). It slowly lets go at top then it flips down toward window, then the part at top slowly lets go and flops toward window and so on.
I hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #35
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
What's a window walker?
Stickey (on glass, not like candy) creatures that when thrown/placed/whatever means, onto glass, appear to ''walk'' down...... so cool! Orchidkris' definition gives a better mental image, though. Jessicasmom... I think your stuff would be fun too, but now knowing you're in healthcare, and you signature says 'working to travel' I'd want some FE gifts as a patient...... new concept- hospital door handle extenders!

Last edited by chateau; 10-14-2012 at 10:19 PM.
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #36
Orchidkris
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
WAY out of line, and clearly someone I would avoid. This is a vacation, not a political or religious platform. I wouldn't appreciate the TA's approach, either.

I'm wondering how people feel about this, too. I work in healthcare and have lots of marketers dropping off hand sanitizers, keychain flashlights, highlighters, etc, that people may find useful. IN ADDITION TO my crafty FE gifts, I'm considering slapping a Disney sticker on some of these to hand out, covering the company logo. Thoughts???
Mine are in addition to the many other things we are giving out too... I wouldn't mind and I'm pretty sure my kids wouldn't either.

On another note, we contacted some local and state wide companies and received samples of their products (Carmex) and some coupons for free food items that we plan to give out. .. So is that acceptable? We don't work for these companies and are just "showing off" the cool items that are made where we live.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #37
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneMachine View Post
UGH!

I thought the point of FEs was to make friends, trade handmade or crafted gifts related to the cruise, and foster a sense of community on board among certain members. Including an advertisement to promote oneself or a business is counter to the spirit of the FE. I don't think FE groups form as a service to anyone who wants to market to them--they do it for fun. I'd be incredibly annoyed if someone joined a FE just to let me know they were a pampered chef consultant. How long before Happy Limo joins a FE group so they can throw in a keychain or magnet with their transfer rates on it?
I agree with you.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #38
kristof65
Mouseketeer

For me, it's a hazy line.

If someone makes hand made gifts like hand stamped jewelry or little clay sculptures, and they're something they sell as a primary or side business, I'd actually like a business card attached so I know where to get more. An unobtrusive ad like a bus card is a small price to pay for their time and effort - especially if it's a cool item that I or or someone else I know would like.

A little hazier would be something from a rep of one of the big companies like Avon, Partylite or Tupperware. If it came with a sample, it wouldn't bother me much - but frankly, I'd say it was a waste of effort on their part. I can find a local rep to almost all of those big companies simply by asking among my friends. Most people can do likewise. So someone getting business from an FE gift is very unlikely.

Amway would piss me off. Enough said.

Other types would really depend on the service/product and how hard the sell was. The aforementioned TA letter would annoy me to no end. Someone pimping their Auto Detail Service in Detroit with a letter and coupons would make me laugh before I got annoyed and I trash binned it, because I'm not from Detroit. But a pen with someone's company logo, or a business card included with their other FE gifts would be fine.

Bottom line, the softer the sell, and the more unique the item (or handmade), the more acceptable I would find it.
kristof65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #39
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We're sailing next week and are really looking foward to getting away from politics. Sure hope no one tries to put any propaganda in our fish.

If someone mentions the election during dinner, I will tell them to stop. In no uncertain terms.

We also don't need someone else's religion rammed down our throats.

We have a great travel agent and would throw away someone else's business card.

o.k. rant over.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #40
txwdwmom
Mouseketeer

Not cool IMO.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #41
FOV
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisrockin View Post
This one had a letter with her room number and she said she would have been happy to meet with us while on board. Or give the future cruise desk the information so it can be assigned to her.
Not cool. I wouldn't like the tupperware business card either.

A little piece of jewelry (from a national chain) that someone sells? Very nice gift! A business card tucked inside, now it feels like a trade show.

I'd be fine with the window walker (with company logo) - my kids would love that. A little bundle of Wisconsin products would be fun - and interesting.

I won't be participating in an FE on our upcoming cruise. So glad I read this thread because I think I would have felt a little bamboozled. Receiving business cards etc.. would be like "Ohhhhhhh!!! I get it! FE is a sales tool. Silly me, I thought it was all about sharing little gifts with new friends."
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #42
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
I think if it was just an advertisement, yes, that is inappropriate. But if they give you a sample, or a product, and just add in an info card or flyer, I wouldn't mind that.
That's how I feel, too. I have no problem with a card/flier taped to or stuck inside a FE gift. Pens, etc, that are printed with ad info are tacky to give as FE, but as long as they're useful ....
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #43
jodical
Mouseketeer

IMO, People are going to do what they want to do and that's their perogative. I don't have to chose to read it or respond to it - that's mine. When I get "junk mail" at home I just "file it".

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #44
glindamood
DIS Veteran

In all the FE exchanges I have participated in, I have NEVER received any advertising. Not so sure exactly how I would feel about it either, other than food for the wastebasket.

glindamood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #45
Stimpy
Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says so, so it must be true!

We only received advertising once & it was for a B&B the people owned. It came with a bunch of other stuff from where they were from. I held onto it since I would love to stay there if we ever visited that area. I thought it was a great idea!

I don't think I would be so much offended or annoyed about the other stuff...it would probably make me laugh and I would toss it.

And if you really don't want that little tupperware thing, pass it my way. Those suckers are useful for so many other things...but you can keep the ad

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: