Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

I don't think it would bother me unless they were trying to stalk me in the halls to push their products. Simply leaving a flyer, note, or token along with what they do wouldn't hurt. I would just toss what I'm not interested in and wouldn't give it a second thought. I actually think Tupperware from a rep is a great idea for an FE gift and a little printed plug for their business along with it would be ok too.
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
alisrockin
Earning My Ears

I think it is rude to other TA's
alisrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
GhostlyHitchhiker
DIS Veteran

I consider that over the line as well. Perhaps if you include a card with an actual gift that had some meaning or thought (a random piece of tupperware doesn't really fit my idea of an FE gift exchange gift - even Trading pins are better). A business card by itself or worse a letter "to talk to me during the cruise" is far over the line.

As someone enjoying the FE gift exchange, I am a potential friend not a potential client.

I have a No Solicitor sign on my front door (and they *still* knock). Do I need one for my FE?
GhostlyHitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
GeneMachine
Mouseketeer

UGH!

I thought the point of FEs was to make friends, trade handmade or crafted gifts related to the cruise, and foster a sense of community on board among certain members. Including an advertisement to promote oneself or a business is counter to the spirit of the FE. I don't think FE groups form as a service to anyone who wants to market to them--they do it for fun. I'd be incredibly annoyed if someone joined a FE just to let me know they were a pampered chef consultant. How long before Happy Limo joins a FE group so they can throw in a keychain or magnet with their transfer rates on it?
~July 2014 Greek Isles~
GeneMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
GhostlyHitchhiker
DIS Veteran

Let me clarify that imo, if you own your own business or do creative stuff on the side (the PP who does cruise/Disney related items), that's ok. There is actual thought going into the gifts and it makes sense to promote yourself if you have made a hand-made gift.

Tossing in Tupperware, there's no thought to that. Throwing in something with your major corporations logo on it is also not a gift I want in my FE (my husband works for a major corporation and there are always boxes of branded freebies lying around - I would *never* consider giving these as a gift!).

To me it's sad that this is apparently rampant enough that other DIS members have stopped doing the FE because it was too much advertising. I'm seriously thinking of making up No Solicitor signs for FEs now...
GhostlyHitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyHitchhiker View Post
I consider that over the line as well. Perhaps if you include a card with an actual gift that had some meaning or thought (a random piece of tupperware doesn't really fit my idea of an FE gift exchange gift - even Trading pins are better). A business card by itself or worse a letter "to talk to me during the cruise" is far over the line.
I think that is a "to each their own" kind of thing. I, for one, would love to get a piece of Tupperware! Even if it is not really cruise or Disney related, I would still appreciate it, and wouldn't mind a business card with it. A handwritten letter about setting up a meeting so I can purchase it would be a little much.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

oh, i forgot to mention... one of our FEs (although i'm not sure it was someone from our FE group or someone who took advantage of the free "mailbox") was a flyer sharing strong religious views... very inappropriate imo!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
over50visits
DIS Veteran

If you sold Tupperware you might choose to give some to your family members at Christmas. Would you include a card with the gifts telling them they could buy more from you?

FE gifts aren't for family, but the next best thing. ANY commercialization, selling, "buy from me," business cards, are way out of line. If a TA left me a note soliciting business I'd likely report them to the ship's staff.

Such a wonderful thing (FE gifting); I am so sorry someone figured out a way to turn it into a junk mail receptacle.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

So are these people actually participating or people just using the FE as a mailbox?

If it is someone participating with the group and they include their personal business information with their gift I see no issue. (even though, they most likely will not get my business)

If it is someone just leaving "junk mail" in your FE, I would be a bit irritated I think.(and it would go in the trash) I get flooded enough on Facebook by friends selling all this stuff---I don't need it on vacation too

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

Last edited by mammacaryn; 10-14-2012 at 10:33 PM.
mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
If a TA left me a note soliciting business I'd likely report them to the ship's staff.
You definitely should report them. DCL requests that TAs do not solicit their business onboard the ship. This does not mean they cannot mention it at all, especially if asked; but they should not be handing out business cards or soliciting business.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #26
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
You definitely should report them. DCL requests that TAs do not solicit their business onboard the ship. This does not mean they cannot mention it at all, especially if asked; but they should not be handing out business cards or soliciting business.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
chateau
DIS Veteran

Taking time away from why I'm there.... I would just let it roll, not a large infraction imo.
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #28
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
If it is someone participating with the group and they include their personal business information with their gift I see no issue. (even though, they most likely will not get my business)
That's the way I feel about it as well
Not a big deal to me
Every cabin has a trash can, just toss the info if it bothers you
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #29
Orchidkris
Earning My Ears

Ok, so then I have a question.
We are going on a cruise real soon. my mom works for a smaller company and they had some extra items that they had out with a company logo. One item we covered with a photo for something for the adults but the other gift is a window walker for the kids. We didn't cover the logo but we aren't trying to sell anything and we aren't including a business card, so... Are these items ok? I wouldn't want to offend anyone or should we cover the logo?
These aren't the only thing that we are including in our FE gifts.
Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
chateau
DIS Veteran

My kids can't read yet, but if they could, a little advertising definately WOULD NOT detract from a cool window walker! Are you kidding me?!?!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: