Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
MyGirlLovesTink
Mouseketeer

Why CM's don't know about Characterpalooza

Today I was at HS and at 4:50 went over to Magic of Animation to look for Characterpalooza. I wasn't sure if it would happen because they were closing early at 6pm. I asked a CM and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about. It seems like a lot of people on the DIS report the same thing, CM's saying they don't know anything about it.

I spoke to a second CM, who was very friendly, and he knew what I was talking about and actually went to go ask for me if they were doing it. Unfortunately, they weren't because of the early closure. He also told me that the CM's refer to it as a "PM Set". Perhaps that is what we should all be asking when we are trying to find out info about Characterpalooza?
MyGirlLovesTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Old Timer Disney Fan
Earning My Ears

Different CM's from different areas will have different answers.
Old Timer Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGirlLovesTink View Post
Today I was at HS and at 4:50 went over to Magic of Animation to look for Characterpalooza. I wasn't sure if it would happen because they were closing early at 6pm. I asked a CM and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about. It seems like a lot of people on the DIS report the same thing, CM's saying they don't know anything about it.

I spoke to a second CM, who was very friendly, and he knew what I was talking about and actually went to go ask for me if they were doing it. Unfortunately, they weren't because of the early closure. He also told me that the CM's refer to it as a "PM Set". Perhaps that is what we should all be asking when we are trying to find out info about Characterpalooza?
Characterpalooza is a fan term. I'm sure it's not called that internally, and that would explain some of the confusion.

Also, I am a believer that CMs are under some instruction not to share with guests that it exists, no matter what it's called.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
mchamber99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGirlLovesTink View Post

I'm not familiar with this. Can you tell me what CHaracterpalooza or PM Set is?

Thanks!
mchamber99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
nezy
DIS Veteran

Subscribing

Because I want to know as well!

OP when you wrote "I was at HS today.." i thought you were in high school today!! so entrenched in kids in school -all 3 in HS this year. I need a DIS break.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
MyGirlLovesTink
Mouseketeer

Characterpalooza is when a bunch of random characters come out in the Magic of Animation building towards the end of the afternoon. You never know who will come out, but a bunch just show up and it is a good time to meet some characters that you may not find elsewhere. It's never a guarantee though, depends on what time Fantasmic is that day. If they do have it, the first time they come out is at 4:50pm.
MyGirlLovesTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Characterpalooza is a fan term. I'm sure it's not called that internally, and that would explain some of the confusion.

Also, I am a believer that CMs are under some instruction not to share with guests that it exists, no matter what it's called.
This. They are instructed not to tell guests because it could NOT occur for any myriad of reasons and then they would have angry guests at guest services complaining that a CM told them to come at X time to see these characters and then they were not there.

I saw this during Star Wars weekend when a very nice CM told a woman to come back at X time to see Jedi Mickey. Unfortunately, due to rain he did not come out at that exact time. This guest was VERY angry and let everyone know. So, pretty sure they don't want people showing up for something that might change.

Last edited by baler31; 10-23-2012 at 09:44 PM.
baler31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
momto4princesses
Mouseketeer

Is this different than the different characters that come out through out the day there? Because our last two trips they have had quite a few characters rotating in and out of that area all day.

momto4princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4princesses View Post
Is this different than the different characters that come out through out the day there? Because our last two trips they have had quite a few characters rotating in and out of that area all day.
The only consistent characters in the room are currently Sorcerer Mickey, Mr. Incredible, Frozone, and soon Wreck It Ralph. The Characterpalooza characters typically appear for a maximum of two hours and do so only in late afternoon.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Because its supposed to be a magical unplanned surprise?
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

I don't think it's an issue with wrong terminology. My husband refused to believe me that this was going to happen. We got there early enough to make the rounds with the regular characters and when we were done, he wanted to leave. I kept saying "What does it hurt to wait around a couple of minutes?" He went over to a CM and asked if any more characters were coming out. She said "No". He was very smug, and I still insisted on staying. One minute later, at 4:50 on the dot, the doors opened and 7 characters and their handlers paraded out. Guess who was smug then?

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

Did Character Palooza not move to Echo Lake? It was there a couple of weeks ago.

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1Fan View Post
Did Character Palooza not move to Echo Lake? It was there a couple of weeks ago.
It seems to have settled back in its normal spot for now. I've not seen a different location reported in more than a week. Stay tuned.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

I wasn't exactly sure where to go when we were there last Wednesday, and the CM working the turnstiles back there was very tongue-in-cheek vague. He did say that "sometimes" "special characters" come out right around that time (4:50), and you never know who you'll get. He didn't give a name to it, and I didn't mention the term characterpalooza because I'd read somewhere that it wasn't an official name.

If you search the term "characterpalooza" at easywdw . com, Josh gives a good overview of what it is and when it will be held. The timing of it depends on the Fantasmic schedule.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGirlLovesTink
Characterpalooza is when a bunch of random characters come out in the Magic of Animation building towards the end of the afternoon. You never know who will come out, but a bunch just show up and it is a good time to meet some characters that you may not find elsewhere. It's never a guarantee though, depends on what time Fantasmic is that day. If they do have it, the first time they come out is at 4:50pm.
I didn't know this!!!
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: