Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
schoen
DIS Veteran

We did not have a terribly long wait at budget for our 10/20 cruise to get to the port. We waited maybe ten minutes or so, we arrived at budget around 11:00 am. There WAS a long line at the port to get back to Budget after the cruise. There was an employee there who said we would make the third shuttle, so we decided to get a cab, which worked well for us.
schoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
kcashner
DIS Veteran

As above, I've never encountered a line at Budget when I dropped off a vehicle. In fact, on 2 occasions by the time I came out from returning the car (2 minutes of paper work), the shuttle driver and my friends/family already had the luggage loaded onto the shuttle and were waiting for me! Budget usually operates 2 shuttles on cruise days to minimize waiting.

If you drop the car at Budget at 10:30, you should be back at the terminal at 11; if you want to be there when the terminal opens, move that up by a few minutes OR do the "drop the family and luggage first" bit.

We have encountered lines after the cruise when we were picking up a car. Again, a suggestion: if the shuttle does not have room for a family with luggage but has space for a "single, no luggage," have the driver get on the shuttle and get the car. He can then return to the terminal area to pick up the family. He can also get quickly in the line to get cars as he doesn't need to wait for luggage to be taken off the shuttle.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
As above, I've never encountered a line at Budget when I dropped off a vehicle. In fact, on 2 occasions by the time I came out from returning the car (2 minutes of paper work), the shuttle driver and my friends/family already had the luggage loaded onto the shuttle and were waiting for me! Budget usually operates 2 shuttles on cruise days to minimize waiting.
This used to be our experience with Budget. Never had a wait for the shuttle -- until this fall; both in September and last week. September wasn't as bad and the driver explained that changes in the port have slowed them down. But last week was horrible. We went to the port to drop off luggage and there was some traffic but not really bad. Topped off the gas and went to Budget and the line for the shuttle ran all the way down the side of the building and looped into the parking lot. We waited in line for almost an hour and a half Budget was running two shuttles and two vans. We had no luggage and had hoped that would help get us on a "full" shuttle (everyone else in line had tons of luggage with them). They just filled the shuttles with whoever was at the front of the line, never called for anyone to fill the extra seat or two (I'm guessing they assumed everyone had luggage.) What really annoyed me though was how the Budget employee who came out to move cars, answered someone's question about taking a taxi. In a very loud voice, she told them that anyone who takes a taxi rather than waiting for the complementary shuttle was just stupid. That she knows better and those stupid people just pay a lot to sit in the same traffic that their shuttles have to sit in. Normally the people there are quite nice so I was rather shocked by her very loud comments. If were weren't third and fourth in line for the next shuttle, even after all that time, we would have called a cab.

Just for the record, the now long wait times for the shuttles aren't entirely the fault of the rental car companies, it is the Port's fault. They have changed the traffic pattern and make them have to go in and out of the port in a specific pattern and they get stuck in traffic at every cruise pier they stop at and often have to wait at each pier before they can even off load passengers/luggage. It is a pain. My advice, if you see a long line for the rental car's shuttle, call a cab. You might wait in a little traffic, but the taxis don't have to do the same full circuit the shuttles and buses do.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: