Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
ZJRClutter
Earning My Ears

Kilimanjaro Club Concierge

We are thinking about booking the Kilimanjaro Concierge next trip. Not a lot of info on it that I can find. Who has done it, thoughts on it, benefits/disadvantages, would you recomment it, any problems with it? Basiclaly any information you have/pics/etc.
Thanks in advance!
ZJRClutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJRClutter View Post
We are thinking about booking the Kilimanjaro Concierge next trip. Not a lot of info on it that I can find. Who has done it, thoughts on it, benefits/disadvantages, would you recomment it, any problems with it? Basiclaly any information you have/pics/etc.
Thanks in advance!
I searched for a recent review. I think it's pretty accurate based on our experience.
http://www.apinchofpixiedust.com/201...clublevel.html

We liked AKL Club level very much.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJRClutter View Post
Thanks in advance!
I can't comment on AKL CL as we haven't stayed CL there, but here is a link to the CL thread that has some information/pics on all CLs:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3233310

Scroll down to post #11 for AKL CL.

HTH

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

We did it in 2012 to have access to the Sunrise Safari (since cancelled). The breakfast items are nice and did that every day. The snacks in the afternoon were OK, but nothing special. Same with the desserts at night.

We would never pay for it again. I think the difference was about $100/day and it's just not worth it. The concierge staff was nice but they can't do anything you cannot do yourself.

Just consider how much the extra cost is over the entire trip and what you could do with that money instead.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
happymommy
DIS Veteran

We actually found it to be well worth the extra money!

We had breakfast in the lounge every day. I loved the coffee, and the kids loved the fruit juices. They had a nice selection.

Midday snacks were sparse, maybe pj&j sandwiches and chips, some fruit, but you could ask for wine or beer if you wanted (included in the price - if they got me one I'd tip them though).

Evening offerings were so substantial, that several nights it was dinner. Meat and salmon on skewers, salads, couscous, soft drinks, beers, wine, etc. It was really great food.

Desserts were nice, with cordials too.

They made all our dining reservations for us ahead of time, and since we were there the busiest week of the year, it was great to have that service. Also, since the parks were so busy, we did spend a lot of time at the resort. And in the lounge!

I think the AKL concierge level is only maybe topped by GF main building (but I've never stayed in that type before).

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymommy View Post
We actually found it to be well worth the extra money!

We had breakfast in the lounge every day. I loved the coffee, and the kids loved the fruit juices. They had a nice selection.

Midday snacks were sparse, maybe pj&j sandwiches and chips, some fruit, but you could ask for wine or beer if you wanted (included in the price - if they got me one I'd tip them though).

Evening offerings were so substantial, that several nights it was dinner. Meat and salmon on skewers, salads, couscous, soft drinks, beers, wine, etc. It was really great food.

Desserts were nice, with cordials too.

They made all our dining reservations for us ahead of time, and since we were there the busiest week of the year, it was great to have that service. Also, since the parks were so busy, we did spend a lot of time at the resort. And in the lounge!

I think the AKL concierge level is only maybe topped by GF main building (but I've never stayed in that type before).

Interesting, the evening food when we were there was not that substantial.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
happymommy
DIS Veteran

It's definitely possible that offerings have changed, since you were there more recently than I was!

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

We did it way back in 2008 and loved every minute of it. If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again!

OCT 2005---POFQ
NOV 2006---AKL CONCIERGE
MAY 2008---BOARDWALK, DOLPHIN, WONDER CRUISE
OCT 2010---TREEHOUSE VILLAS
OCT 2012---POFQ
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

We stayed there last November to have access to the Sunset Safari which, unfortunately, they are discontinuing.

It was fine. It's very dark, but the food offerings were far superior to what we just experienced in CR CL just his past August. They at least had some protein choices at breakfast!

I found it took forever to get help from the CL staff, however. There was always a line.

It was fine. I don't know if I would do it again.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
bluetenshi55
Earning My Ears

We'll be going in 20 days! I'll report back.
I've eaten at 2 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (11%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

bluetenshi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

We're doing it for the first time next month through a promotion we couldn't resist, but in honesty I don't see the appeal. $100 more per day for some free snacks and beer and wine (if you imbibe) and having your bed turned down? We already made our ADRs ourselves so I really don't see the value...Maybe I'll change my mind after having experienced it but I doubt it. We're doing the Sunrise Safari but as others have said that'll soon be history...I just don't think club level at WDW means a helluva lot.
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&Lfan View Post
We're doing it for the first time next month through a promotion we couldn't resist, but in honesty I don't see the appeal. $100 more per day for some free snacks and beer and wine (if you imbibe) and having your bed turned down? We already made our ADRs ourselves so I really don't see the value...Maybe I'll change my mind after having experienced it but I doubt it. We're doing the Sunrise Safari but as others have said that'll soon be history...I just don't think club level at WDW means a helluva lot.
We loved the savanna view, in addition to the yummy lounge offerings.
We'd go back in a heartbeat.
It's a lot of work to find AKL CL at a discount, but it does come up. We only book it with a discount.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
missbrooke06
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&Lfan View Post
What promotion made it so appealing? Part of me wants to try it but with multiple rooms, it doesn't seem like what we can swing.
missbrooke06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
We did it in 2012 to have access to the Sunrise Safari (since cancelled). The breakfast items are nice and did that every day. The snacks in the afternoon were OK, but nothing special. Same with the desserts at night.

We would never pay for it again. I think the difference was about $100/day and it's just not worth it. The concierge staff was nice but they can't do anything you cannot do yourself.

Just consider how much the extra cost is over the entire trip and what you could do with that money instead.
concur, in fact they basically told us to our face when I wanted to make a spa appointment to give DH a massage, all they would do is hand the phone to me and that was it.. they cannot even make appointments outside of the spa hours( which made it hard since we were always in the parks when the spa was open)

they printed out our boarding passes and arranged to get our umbrella back from the Wayanma safari truck and that was it.

the hours the lounge was serving basically did not work.. no coffee until 530 was a good half an hour too late for DH and breakfast not until 7.

the mid afternoon and evening offerings were bland and repetitive to say the least.

over all we felt that we wasted the money on CL especially since they screwed up our reservation on the Sunrise safari and never got to take it at all.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
Judyfun
Mouseketeer

This CL was my 3rd of the year last year (did BC and BWI) and hands downs they were the nicest and most helpful. We took advantage of the special tour and loved it! My screen saver here at work is the picture I took one evening enjoying a glass of wine sitting on the baloney. Life is great!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: