Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
thesahlaneys
Earning My Ears

First DVc rental... Which resort? December 2014 trip

Hi guys!

My husband and I are planning our second disney trip. Were in our mid-twenties. We stayed at swan last time bc the great deal we got and convenient location..however I really want to stay at an even nicer resort with disney theming our second time since we will be renting DVC points and the prices are surprisingly affordable.

We want to stay first week of December-- prime Xmas time-- but unfortunately I have heard this books up the fastest so I want to start deciding which resort since we need to book in a couple months...

The contenders are : bay lake towers, grand Floridian villas and wilderness lodge.

I've heard the lodge is great at Xmas-- we're from Michigan so we like the woodsy cozy feel. My only drawback is that the transportation seems rough and I feel the rooms aren't that nice (according to the pix I've seen)

Grand Floridian looks amazing and it's brand new but I'm worried that for the highest cost-- we may not be in the room a lot to enjoy it (planning on 4 nights 5 days)

Bay lake towers has prime location and transportation like grand Floridian but I feel the cold/modern decor is very similar to the swan/dolor where we stayed last and won't be very festive for Christmas :/

So there's my thoughts-- what are yours?

Also- can we get magic bands with DVC rental? Anyone know?
thesahlaneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Axel
Introduce a Little Anarchy. 1979-2008
Pi a la ModeJack, I swear…

Wilderness Lodge is AH-MAZING at Christmastime. The rooms a nice and definitely liveable. As you said when you mentioned the rooms at VGF, you may not be in the room that often! The rooms at VWL get the job done. And transportation isn't really difficult, either. The bus rides are a bit longer to places like AK or EPCOT, but the busses are fairly consistent.

Plus, you can take the boat to MK, which is really convenient.

And yes, you should definitely be able to get MB with your rental as I'm assuming MB will be out in full strength by Dec. 2014!
September 1996::WDW 25th Anniversary::Fort Wilderness\\October 1999::Millenium Celebration::FW\\November 2001::WDW 30th Anniversary and 100 Years of Magic::FW\\December 2004::Purchased DVC::FW\\ November 2005::WDL 50th Anniversary::Saratoga Springs Resort\\December 2006::Year of a Million Dreams::SSR\\August 2007::Pirate and Princess Party::Boardwalk\\November 2007::YoaMD::SSR\\February 2008::with Lissy::Villas at the Wilderness Lodge\\August 2008::with Nora::Old Key West\\December 2008::with Shianna::SSR\\February 2009::What Will You Celebrate?::Beach Club Villas\\January 2010::Un-Birthday:::Animal Kingdom Lodge\\May 2010::Dad's 65th/With Molly::OKW\\January 2011::Un-Birthday::Bay Lake Tower\May 2011::With Nora::BCV\\May 2012::One More Disney Day::OKW\\January 2013::Damon's First Trip::OKW\\March 2013::Spring Break with Sarah::OKW\\May 2013::College Grad!::VWL\\July 2014::ACTUAL BIRTHDAY TRIP!!!::Villas at the Grand Floridian\\October 2014::Food and Wine Festival::OKW\\December 2014::Christmas with Dan and LouAnn::OKW\

You must always remember to smile.

restaurants eaten at: 143/251
my blog
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesahlaneys View Post
Hi guys!

My husband and I are planning our second disney trip. Were in our mid-twenties. We stayed at swan last time bc the great deal we got and convenient location..however I really want to stay at an even nicer resort with disney theming our second time since we will be renting DVC points and the prices are surprisingly affordable.

We want to stay first week of December-- prime Xmas time-- but unfortunately I have heard this books up the fastest so I want to start deciding which resort since we need to book in a couple months...

The contenders are : bay lake towers, grand Floridian villas and wilderness lodge.

I've heard the lodge is great at Xmas-- we're from Michigan so we like the woodsy cozy feel. My only drawback is that the transportation seems rough and I feel the rooms aren't that nice (according to the pix I've seen)

Grand Floridian looks amazing and it's brand new but I'm worried that for the highest cost-- we may not be in the room a lot to enjoy it (planning on 4 nights 5 days)

Bay lake towers has prime location and transportation like grand Floridian but I feel the cold/modern decor is very similar to the swan/dolor where we stayed last and won't be very festive for Christmas :/

So there's my thoughts-- what are yours?

Also- can we get magic bands with DVC rental? Anyone know?
Hi!

The Villas at GF look AMAZING!!! For me the choice would be between VGF and WL. I believe the rooms at WL were updated a couple years ago so you might be looking at outdated photos, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do think VGF would be more convenient being on the monorail but WL also has the boat to MK and I believe the boat also stops at CR. Both resorts are decorated beautifully for the holidays so that is a really difficult decision! I think you can get magic bands with DVC rental.
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I would leave your resort options open and find someone who can book for you exactly when the 11-month window opens. The first week of December has become the busiest time of the year for DVC resorts. You've picked three very difficult resorts to get into during the holiday season, so if you can find someone who owns at any of the three and is willing to rent at 11 months out, jump on it quickly.

And yes, renters get MagicBands.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

You will probably need to pay more per point as well as have more points for a stay at either GFV or BLT both of those you will more than likely need a private rental for that time of year- especially for a high demand room. GFV has been renting for $15-16 a point so you will have to determine if that is worth the price premium for it. Owning at both of these resorts we actually like GFV better but both are gorgeous.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
catheren
DIS Veteran

WLV, hands down
You really get the Christmas feel at this resort.
Transportation, via buses isn't that bad.
catheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
FlipHipster
Blackbelt in Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts

If you want those resorts, start trying to secure points now, 1st week of Dec books quick for DVC.

We went through this last year/this year. We wanted to do the 1st week of Dec this year renting DVC points. I had a tough time finding points to book the resorts we wanted (BLT,VWL,BCV) 11 months out. By the time found points at the resorts we wanted, rooms were getting scarce for the weeks we wanted. We booked a studio at VWL for the week before Thanksgiving (next week) at around 10 months out. BLT was the hardest, when I finally found points to rent, it was really hard to find a room for a full week during any of our potential travel dates. It took a while to find VWL points but when we did at around 10 months, there were still a few room options left. Didn't try VGF but I bet its pretty popular.

Yes you can use MB with DVC rental, we customized and received ours already.

Good luck!!

just wanted to add, we were looking for 1br or studio which makes difference

Last edited by FlipHipster; 11-11-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added room options
FlipHipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Definitely recommend you booking ASAP especially for the 3 resorts you are looking at. They book quickly at the 11 month mark! If I were you VWL would be my 1st choice followed by VGF then BLT. The lodge and GF are just so amazing at Christmas time!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
thesahlaneys
Earning My Ears

Thanks guys for all the help! We're just planning on doing the studio/cheapest room. We're planning on booking thought David's DVC which only allows reservations 11 months in advance so I guess I will just turn the request form in right at that time? Anyone have any good reviews renting from David's?
thesahlaneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the help! We're just planning on doing the studio/cheapest room. We're planning on booking thought David's DVC which only allows reservations 11 months in advance so I guess I will just turn the request form in right at that time? Anyone have any good reviews renting from David's?
You can do this but most owners who are renting that far out at high demand resorts won't rent through David's as they don't make as much money- that is why private rental's here on the board go so fast at this point people are setting up Dec stays for next year and know that the rental services will not have enough points for all their customers for that time. Through David's you may not be able to secure any of your top choices at 11 months.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Gillyrose779
Mouseketeer

For Christmas time Wilderness for sure- think rocking in a rocking chair by the huge, decorated fireplace and taking a sleigh ride around the area!! Plus I hear the cabins are decorated nicely by the renters.

For transportation I would think it would be easy to take the boat to MK and hop on the monorail to Epcot. Of course you would need the bus for HS and AK but maybe it would be faster to take the bus from Epcot or MK there. My husband and I are walkers so we would hop the mono to Epcot and walk to HS- I know- we are crazy.
Gillyrose779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Studios go quickly at that time of year (especially if you're looking for standard or theme park view at BLT or lake view VGF). And PP is right, you'll have little to no chance of getting any of those three resorts through David's for that time period. He pays owners $11 per point. Those resorts can easily fetch $14-$16 per point on the private rental market, so more owners are going that route.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
mrsp1030
DIS Veteran

I would definitely try a private rental over David's for those 3 resorts as that is prime time for DVC properties. We are going next Thanksgiving and secured someone to make a reservation for us on here at the 11 month mark a few weeks ago.
mrsp1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

You could try Boardwalk! We loved it at Christmas. You can grab the monorail to MK if you have hoppers - the bus transportation is the only drawback there as it seems to take forever. You share with Swan/Dolphin.

That week is usually Pop Warner week so you probably wouldn't see discounts that week or I would also recommend into looking at a discount cash reservation. Not as cheap as renting points but much easier to actually get the room, and you have the flexibility of changing or cancelling if necessary. With points rental you are locked in with no refund. For that reason, I have been hesitant to rent points.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
FlipHipster
Blackbelt in Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts

It's probably worth contacting brokers and filling out the forms just in case, but don't expect to just send them an email and book VWL or BLT 11 months out for Dec 1.

I would start stalking the rental forum. Most owners I encountered were very responsive to requests and very helpful. Points and rooms go fast at those resorts though I wouldn't wait too long.
Good Luck!!!
FlipHipster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: