Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
la79al
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7 View Post
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that she already has 75% of the things posted here. I guess I tend to buy her too many toys, but many of them came from children's consignment sales for very cheap.

I think I'm going to be kind of low key this Christmas, and not overdo it on the gifts. She still has stuff from last Christmas that she has barely played with.
I know what you mean! We have about 90% of the suggestions in this thread. DD2 is girl #3 in this house and DD4 was the first grandchild for my parents. I would go low key this year except DD4 is getting to the age where she is outgrowing preschool toys so I already have about 15 little things for her and um, 2 for DD2, What I am planning on doing though is replacing and replenishing. Bath stuff is used constantly in this house, we are finally almost out of Playdoh, our magnadoodle has gotten stepped on one too many times and apparently the tips of color wonder markers are very tasty to 18 month olds. Other than that, DD actually loves clothes so although we don't really need them, I know she would like getting them. The 1 toy I might get is the FP snap n style dolls. She got one for her birthday and plays with it off and on so I'm thinking about getting a baby or dog for her too.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

My daughter just turned 2 last week and some of her favorite gifts included:

Melissa and Doug Sticker books - the reusable/removable one is the BEST! Has already provided hours of fun for my DD.
Mr. Potato head, Vtech phone, Disney princess "laptop", cozy coupe, my little ponies, minnie mouse bowtique sets and fisher price doodle pro

For Christmas I picked up a little tykes vanity at a yardsale, bought the Little People Disney princess castle and all the add-ons, Melissa and Doug Mailbox with various sized letters and Little People Noah's Ark
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
CluelessDisFan
DIS Veteran

We got our 2 1/2 YO the leap pad 2 a couple of months ago. She loves it! It keeps her off my phone as well. It's $99 and what it starts out with is pretty good. We downloaded Letter factory for free to it and it's the best, for teaching letter sounds. We also bought her Jake and the neverland pirates game she loves that.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that she already has 75% of the things posted here. I guess I tend to buy her too many toys, but many of them came from children's consignment sales for very cheap.

I think I'm going to be kind of low key this Christmas, and not overdo it on the gifts. She still has stuff from last Christmas that she has barely played with.

I can relate. My DD(6) is an only child, and an only grandchild on one side with an overindulgent grandmother with nothing better to do than spoil her! We had to buy a bigger house to fit the toys!

If you want an Ipad, but don't want to spend the money, you might want to look into a TABEO at Toys R US. It is $150, but it basically is an IPAD(well technically it is a Droid) for kids. I know of several people who are getting it for their 3 year old IPAD addicted kids! DD is getting one for Christmas and we just got it in the mail and took it out of the box this morning to make sure it works. We were pretty impressed with it. It comes pre-loaded with over 50 popular apps loaded onto it (things like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope- there is a full list on the TRU website) and you can get more. There are over 7000 apps available on the Tabeo App store. It also has a camera (photo and video) and wifi access to the internet with parental controls you can set to stop or limit that, or require your approval before any website is accesses. You can also buy car adaptors, so you don't have to worry about running out of power on a long car trip.

DD got the leappad last year for christmas and loves it, but considering the leappad 2 is $100 and then the games are separate at $20 to $25 each, the Tabeo seems to give you a lot more for your money. I will say that the leappad is another good choice though.

I assume your DD already has a play kitchen? If not, DD got that for her 2nd birthday, and that is something at age 6 that she still plays with. The other thing from that age that still gets a lot of use is the kid sized table and chairs- DD has basically outgrown them, but her dolls haven't and they have lots of tea parties and attend lots of restaurants on them. I believe that she got that for Christmas from Santa with a new doll sitting at it and new dishes on it.

DD actually discovered American Girl when she was 2 (thanks to our niece being hooked on it and DD seeing a catalog). She got her first doll from Santa at age 2 years 10 months, with the reason that she had been telling us for 6 months that Santa was bringing her that doll (Felicity) and it was the No. 1 must have, nothing else will do, thing on her Christmas list. It was a huge hit-still is 4 years later. Just be aware that one you start AG, you can never go back!

If all else fails, just walk her through a toy store or toy department. I bet she is old enough to give you a good idea of what she wants!

Last edited by ktlm; 10-16-2012 at 11:25 AM.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
angela25
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I know that a lot of us here have toddlers. I'm stumped on gift ideas for my 2 1/2 year old DD. In a perfect world where money grew on trees, I'd get her an iPad so I could use mine in peace without her wanting it. But, isn't exactly budget friendly. What are you getting your toddler for Christmas, Hannukah, or whatever you celebrate?
We are getting our DD (will be 2 the begining of FEB) a minnie mouse kitchen, a little people disney princess castle, a new stroller for her baby, probably some bath toys, more babydolls, a barbie of her own so her sister doesnt get mad when she plays with hers & whatever other good deals I can score on black friday!
angela25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
shortbun
Peacenik

When my son was 2.5, he received a ton of gifts that Santa found at the thrift store. I painted, sterilized, repaired and polished a whole kitchen, big plastic climber that went outside in the spring but lived in our living room for the winter, set of cleaning equipment(vacuum, mop, broom, dust pan), some Disney stuff. There was more, it's just been 15 years. I spent less than $50. A few years later, we talked him into asking for an "old bike that needs some repairing", lol! He and his dad had a great time working on that bike! Seriously, a two year old doesn't need an IPAD or regular use of one. Give them some boxes, sticks and balls. Let them use their imagination.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
Shelly888
DIS Veteran

Some of Liam's favorites include his various Mr. & Mrs. Potato Heads, puzzles, Thomas the tank trains and tracks, and the Rescue Bots(Transformers that are basically one touch transformation).
Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

What about a kid trampoline? Not one of the large backyard ones, but one like this

Or what about an inflatable ball pit?

DS loves both of those things, and they are great for the winter, when its it tough to get outside and burn off energy otherwise.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #24
shortbun
Peacenik

When my son was 2, I got most of his gifts at the Thrift Store. I cleaned and repaired them. I found him a kitchen, lots of rescue heroes, a tricycle and other things I can not remember because it was 15 years ago. They grow out of those things so fast, it's a shame to spend money on crazy stuff. I found him a huge backyard climber but set it up in the front room for Christmas morning-it stayed there for three months. He sold it to our neighbors 8 years later so he had money for a video game, lol. This year and next, the thrift store is your friend. Start looking now.
O good grief! This is an old thread. Oh well.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: