DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
mcwarriors2012
Hopefull New DVC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 24

Dining Plan Delmma

SOO. We had the trip from HELL in July. Our family was food poisoned and me and my father were both hospitalized because of it. Due to all of our troubles. our resort gave us 5 complimentary nights in a 2 bedroom villa. We booked that this week for February 8th-13th. We wanted to stay 9 nights so we used our points to stay 4th-8th.

Everything was all set when we went to book. We got the nights, BUT we went to purchase the dining plan and they said "you can not add the dining plan to the complimentary nights, because the meal plan is just a marketing tool. It is already at a discount rate to get people to stay in the hotels. This hotel stay is complimentary so therefore disney does not allow you to purchase the dining plan. But you can use it for the 4th - 8th that you used ur points for.


SOO. We are in a bit of a dilemma. What would all of you do? Have any suggestions? I was thinking of using the remainder of our points to purchase a villa. SELLING the villa to someone on here, and then using the meal plan on that reservation, but i don't think that would work because of names and all that.

Thank you
mcwarriors2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
WebmasterDoc
Administrator
 
WebmasterDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,390
DISboards Administrator

You would not be able to offer a reservation on the DIS Rent/Trade Board until 30 days in advance unless you purchase the Premium rental plan. When you rent that reservation to somone else, you will need to put the names of everyone in their party on the reservation and Dining Plan credits will be encoded on those rooms keys. You would not be able to use the credits yourself since it would NOT be your reservation.

I'd just enjoy the dining plan on the portion of your trip you would have it and plan to pay for your meals on the complimentary portion of your stay. You can also consider purchasing the TIW card now available to DVC members.

It sounds as though Disney was very generous giving you a complimentary stay in a 2BR when your prior trip was in a Studio. You will have a full kitchen in the 2BR so that may ease some of your dining needs.

Enjoy your stay.
__________________
Doc
WebmasterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,698

Quote:
We are in a bit of a dilemma.
Go without it on the comped days. I've never, not once, spent as much OOP just eating what, when, and where I want as the appropriate dining plan costs.

Perhaps an even better idea: rather than get the dining plan at all, buy a Tables in Wonderland card. Even with the fee for the card, that nearly always works out better for me than the DDP does.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o
 
dianeschlicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lakeville, Minnesota
Posts: 39,920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Go without it on the comped days. I've never, not once, spent as much OOP just eating what, when, and where I want as the appropriate dining plan costs.

Perhaps an even better idea: rather than get the dining plan at all, buy a Tables in Wonderland card. Even with the fee for the card, that nearly always works out better for me than the DDP does.
I agree. I think the dining plan is a waste of money. We tracked DDP and paying OOP with TIW for a couple of trips, and in all cases, we came out ahead NOT using the dining plan.
__________________
dianeschlicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
mcwarriors2012
Hopefull New DVC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 24

yes they were generous. We were in 2 studios. How did u know we were in a studio? lol.

The resort gave us this because of numerous house keeping issues also, it wasn't just the dining issues. We are currently going through all the claims stuff with Disney now.

Can the Tables in Wonderland be used in conjunction with the dining plan? I mean like if we buy the dining plan, and then get down there and purchase the TIW card for the other portion of our trip. We go a lot, and i know the TIW is good for a year. But we normally use the dining plan. Would having the TIW for a year no longer allow us to purchase dining plan for future trips for that year?
mcwarriors2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwarriors2012 View Post
yes they were generous. We were in 2 studios. How did u know we were in a studio? lol.

The resort gave us this because of numerous house keeping issues also, it wasn't just the dining issues. We are currently going through all the claims stuff with Disney now.

Can the Tables in Wonderland be used in conjunction with the dining plan? I mean like if we buy the dining plan, and then get down there and purchase the TIW card for the other portion of our trip. We go a lot, and i know the TIW is good for a year. But we normally use the dining plan. Would having the TIW for a year no longer allow us to purchase dining plan for future trips for that year?
You can still get the Dining PLan but you cannot use the TIW card and the dining plan at the same time. I honestly agree with everyone else and we never come close to spending what the dining plan costs us unless we are doing all character meal/buffets. I think if you are going to get the TIW, I would forget about the dining plan completely
WsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
dvcterry
DIS Veteran
 
dvcterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,641

I also agree that the DDP is a big waste of money. It is a lot of food. Go for those comped days without and either add to the points days if you wish. Or go for the TIW. I just prefer eating what and whenever we want. The other thing is we use do use the kitchen in our villa, we have some down time. Make some breakfasts there and then do rope drop. Or order a pizza or make popcorn and have a snack.
__________________
Terry
dvcterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
WebmasterDoc
Administrator
 
WebmasterDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,390
DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwarriors2012 View Post
yes they were generous. We were in 2 studios. How did u know we were in a studio? lol.
You posted about your trip on this forum back in June saying you had 5 staying in a Studio at AKV.

Since you have APs already, the TIW card is even a little less expensive than purchasing it thru DVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwarriors2012 View Post
Well its official,

our first trip is booked for July 25th - August 3rd. We got a studio at our home resort AKV. Unforunately we have 5 of us going so its going to be a little cramped but i've tried every avenue i know of and there is no availability. That's the only downfall so far.

We all got annual passes and the disney dining plan. I have heard of the TIW but for our family we've always done the dining plan and absolutely love it. We don't mind spending the extra dollars to taste all the amazing food.

Any tips for AKV or any tips in general please feel free.
__________________
Doc
WebmasterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
You can still get the Dining PLan but you cannot use the TIW card and the dining plan at the same time.
This is not true. You can't use both the DDP and TiW to cover the same foods (but why would you have to since you're not paying for the food when you use the DDP). But you can use it at the same meals - you can use TiW to cover items that are not covered under the dining plan - appetizers, drinks, etc.
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
mcwarriors2012
Hopefull New DVC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 24

we really do love the dining plan. We don't do the quick service meals very often except for lunch. We like the sit down restaurants for dinner like O'hana, and Chef Mickeys. We went there last year and the bill was over 270.00 for the 5 of us. So it does add up. I know its a lot of food, and it is expensive for the dining plan. But 55.00 a day for the dining plan barely covers that one meal at chef mickey's let alone the other 2 meals. But its a vacation so we like to splurge. I do understand where u are all coming from. We are going to have to pay for our meals for the other 5 nights.

Do u you have any tips on how to save money on those 5 nights but still get the best experience?

Thank you all for your input so far its been very helpful.
mcwarriors2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
scottashackleton
Mouseketeer
 
scottashackleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Go without it on the comped days. I've never, not once, spent as much OOP just eating what, when, and where I want as the appropriate dining plan costs.

Perhaps an even better idea: rather than get the dining plan at all, buy a Tables in Wonderland card. Even with the fee for the card, that nearly always works out better for me than the DDP does.
Agreed. Guests don't NEED the meal plan. It's a nice to have, but you should not go through all of that hassle just to get it added on for a few days. Just eat your money's worth during the days you have it
scottashackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
scottashackleton
Mouseketeer
 
scottashackleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwarriors2012 View Post
we really do love the dining plan. We don't do the quick service meals very often except for lunch. We like the sit down restaurants for dinner like O'hana, and Chef Mickeys. We went there last year and the bill was over 270.00 for the 5 of us. So it does add up. I know its a lot of food, and it is expensive for the dining plan. But 55.00 a day for the dining plan barely covers that one meal at chef mickey's let alone the other 2 meals. But its a vacation so we like to splurge. I do understand where u are all coming from. We are going to have to pay for our meals for the other 5 nights.

Do u you have any tips on how to save money on those 5 nights but still get the best experience?

Thank you all for your input so far its been very helpful.
Tables in Wonderland is 20% all food and drink at most sit down restaurants and many more for only a $75 purchase fee. Spend $375 on your vacation and it pays for itself and good for a whole year.
scottashackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 24,217
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwarriors2012 View Post
....(snip).........

Do u you have any tips on how to save money on those 5 nights but still get the best experience?......l.
Give the restaurants in the Swan/Dolphin a try. Most of them (if not all) will give you a 20% discount with your blue DVC member card. They even have character meals (less expensive than Chef Mickeys and that's before the discount).

Enjoy the trip!
__________________
Best Wishes -



BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Go without it on the comped days. I've never, not once, spent as much OOP just eating what, when, and where I want as the appropriate dining plan costs.

Perhaps an even better idea: rather than get the dining plan at all, buy a Tables in Wonderland card. Even with the fee for the card, that nearly always works out better for me than the DDP does.
Agree with this.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
CRobin
DIS Veteran
 
CRobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN

Give the restaurants in the Swan/Dolphin a try. Most of them (if not all) will give you a 20% discount with your blue DVC member card. They even have character meals (less expensive than Chef Mickeys and that's before the discount).

Enjoy the trip!
Great idea. We think those restaurants are great, and vacant at lunchtime. You cannot do room charge, though, cash or credit card.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.