Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #31
DisneyStitch626
DIS Veteran

Yay! So happy you got some answers finally!!! And you get to go on your trip!!

What are these changes to the holiday season next year???
Old 10-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #32
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStitch626 View Post
Yay! So happy you got some answers finally!!! And you get to go on your trip!!

What are these changes to the holiday season next year???
I know.....doing a happy dance!!!

So rumor has it (under good authority) Disneyland will go to a party where the snow, castle lighting, fireworks and parade would be shared. There's even some speculation about the Candlelight Processional being a part of it as well. So tradition is going to disappear for the almighty dollar....... The reindeer won't even be here this year, as they're already starting to phase things out. So I'm glad my family is getting to go & experience it all......it might be the only time we go.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

That's good to hear, Laurie!

If I recall correctly, according to your very first post in your holiday TR from 2011, your check was "in the mail" on that day - it was like October 20th or 21st or something - and you were expecting it to arrive a week or two after that.

Wouldn't it be funny (in a frustrating way; not in the comical way!) if this year's check arrived right around the same time? It almost makes me wonder if those pesky IRS people purposely wait until certain points in the year to cut all checks!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
DizNee Luver

So the day is getting even better......I called Disney Travel to inquire about 2 rooms vs a suite at the PPH. Mike and I have been lucky enough to stay at the PPH, but none of the kids have.......and we LOVE it. The plan is to stay at HoJo's for the first 7 nights and then end on our last night at the pier. Out of curiousity, I asked about the amount for our entire stay. YIKES!!! In our conversation I asked if Derek would need a ticket since he was a CM at WDW.......she said, "you're son is a CM"?? I said yes.....she said "hold on, let me price that with his discount". I asked, he can use his discount for rooms at Disneyland, and she said he could. WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, he can't use the discount on a suite, but we could get into 2 Premium View, Concierge for an AMAZING price!! Derek would have to check in with us and provide his CM ID. So this would change our check in dates.......doable. So I thought I would compare the difference in price between 2 rooms at the PPH for the 8 nights, adding in 3 adult 5 day PH, 3 child 5 day PH & 1 Premium AP vs 7 nights at the HoJo's with 5 day PH's, 1 night at the PPH & upgrade 1 PH to the Premium AP..........
Are you ready for this????? The difference would be an addt'l $276!!!!! Are you kidding me?? We could stay top end, park view with concierge benefits, early entry everyday of our stay and only run us $276 more???? Oh you know that we will be going this route!!!!!!

So it looks like we'll be checking in on Sunday December 9th and leaving Anaheim on Monday the 17th. Derek knows he has the 9th-10th-11th off and will try to trade a few more days to get at least the 12th & 13th. I'm pretty excited.....just need to get enough together for the deposit!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #35
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
That's good to hear, Laurie!

If I recall correctly, according to your very first post in your holiday TR from 2011, your check was "in the mail" on that day - it was like October 20th or 21st or something - and you were expecting it to arrive a week or two after that.

Wouldn't it be funny (in a frustrating way; not in the comical way!) if this year's check arrived right around the same time? It almost makes me wonder if those pesky IRS people purposely wait until certain points in the year to cut all checks!
LOL......that wouldn't surprise me........ I'm just happy this will be over in a matter of weeks now......the end is near!!!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #36
DisneyStitch626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
I know.....doing a happy dance!!!

So rumor has it (under good authority) Disneyland will go to a party where the snow, castle lighting, fireworks and parade would be shared. There's even some speculation about the Candlelight Processional being a part of it as well. So tradition is going to disappear for the almighty dollar....... The reindeer won't even be here this year, as they're already starting to phase things out. So I'm glad my family is getting to go & experience it all......it might be the only time we go.
Really??? This kinda blows. We are hoping to go next season, but i don't know about paying extra for this "party" to see everything. This is pretty disappointing.

Quote:
So the day is getting even better......I called Disney Travel to inquire about 2 rooms vs a suite at the PPH. Mike and I have been lucky enough to stay at the PPH, but none of the kids have.......and we LOVE it. The plan is to stay at HoJo's for the first 7 nights and then end on our last night at the pier. Out of curiousity, I asked about the amount for our entire stay. YIKES!!! In our conversation I asked if Derek would need a ticket since he was a CM at WDW.......she said, "you're son is a CM"?? I said yes.....she said "hold on, let me price that with his discount". I asked, he can use his discount for rooms at Disneyland, and she said he could. WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, he can't use the discount on a suite, but we could get into 2 Premium View, Concierge for an AMAZING price!! Derek would have to check in with us and provide his CM ID. So this would change our check in dates.......doable. So I thought I would compare the difference in price between 2 rooms at the PPH for the 8 nights, adding in 3 adult 5 day PH, 3 child 5 day PH & 1 Premium AP vs 7 nights at the HoJo's with 5 day PH's, 1 night at the PPH & upgrade 1 PH to the Premium AP..........
Are you ready for this????? The difference would be an addt'l $276!!!!! Are you kidding me?? We could stay top end, park view with concierge benefits, early entry everyday of our stay and only run us $276 more???? Oh you know that we will be going this route!!!!!!

So it looks like we'll be checking in on Sunday December 9th and leaving Anaheim on Monday the 17th. Derek knows he has the 9th-10th-11th off and will try to trade a few more days to get at least the 12th & 13th. I'm pretty excited.....just need to get enough together for the deposit!!!
Omg, wow!! That is awesome that you can get that great of a deal using Derek's discount!! Hopefully you can book! Glad this day is turning out so great for you! You all need the pick-me-up!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #37
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStitch626 View Post
Really??? This kinda blows. We are hoping to go next season, but i don't know about paying extra for this "party" to see everything. This is pretty disappointing.

Omg, wow!! That is awesome that you can get that great of a deal using Derek's discount!! Hopefully you can book! Glad this day is turning out so great for you! You all need the pick-me-up!
I know, I thought the party idea would be fun.......but after reading about people going to the Halloween party and not being happy with crowds and such.....I'm thinking DL really isn't "built" for that kind of thing. I'm sorry they're looking more at dollar signs vs tradition. I really am not happy with the powers that be running things right now. Seems to be a bit greedy and forgetting about us lower income families that would like to enjoy the parks too!!

Derek's discount is really something I hadn't even thought about using at DL. After canceling our WDW package, we booked 2 rooms using his discount there.....didn't even consider it for here. I figured their discounts were only good for their "home" park. I sure hope to take advantage of this deal. I've never, EVER thought about adding concierge before......so this really would be quite a dreamy trip!!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #38
kaci
Mouseketeer

Wow! Congratulations on your amazing deal at PPH!! How exciting
kaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #39
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have GREAT NEWS!!!! I finally broke down and called the IRS (again) and today was good news!! They approved our adoption credit on October 4th. Its not showing yet for a specific check run date, but should in the next week or so. Best guess is we'll see the check by the end of the month or into early November!!! I can't tell you how thrilled we are, knowing this is almost over and we are FOR SURE GOING ON THIS TRIP!!!!!!!!! (especially with the plans DL has in changing the holiday season next year)

Thank You Everybody for your pixie dust, prayers, good thoughts and shoulder for me to cry on as we dealt with this 36 wk nightmare!!! Finally, we're getting a break.....a much needed break.........
Laurie I am so thrilled for you and your family!

Kris
Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #40
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Laurie -

We come in on the 14th, DTD in the afternoon on the 15th, but we'll be in the parks on the 16th and 17th. It would be great if we could finally meet.

Kris
Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #41
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaci View Post
Wow! Congratulations on your amazing deal at PPH!! How exciting
Thanx!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Smiles View Post
Laurie I am so thrilled for you and your family!

Kris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Smiles View Post
Laurie -

We come in on the 14th, DTD in the afternoon on the 15th, but we'll be in the parks on the 16th and 17th. It would be great if we could finally meet.

Kris
Thanx Kris!!! With the change of dates....I can't see why we couldn't meet up!! I have to refigure the schedule but I do know we'll be doing the parks Tue-Fri but we'll be around early morning and dinner/evenings that weekend and half day on Mon the 17th......so we'll figure something out!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #42
DizNee Luver

Ok, so with the awesome PPH deal (that I hope to book this week).....we had to change dates around so Derek would be there at check-in. So now we'd be arriving on the 9th instead of the 6th of December. So here's Itinerary #2:

Sun, Dec 9:
Fly In, meet up with Derek at airport, shuttle to PPH
Check-in!!
Get Rental Car
Lunch at In & Out
Character Warehouse/Company D Store
6pm~PCH Grill
Watch WoC from rooms

Mon, Dec 10:
DL/DCA
9am~Carnation Cafe
5pm~Big Thunder BBQ

Tue, Dec 11:
DL/DCA
Breakfast~Concierge Lounge
Lunch~Jolly Holiday
6:30pm~Cafe Orleans

Wed, Dec 12:
DL/DCA
7:40am~Surf's Up with Mickey
Holding out for Candlelight Processional Dining Info

Thur, Dec 13:
DL/DCA
8:10am~Minnie & Friends
Lunch~Hungry Bear (2ish)
7:30pm~Goofy's Kitchen

Fri, Dec 14:
Breakfast~Tangaroa Terrace
LA Zoo
Griffith Park Observatory
7:30pm~Jazz Kitchen

Sat, Dec 15:
Breakfast~Concierge
Universal City Walk
Lunch~Bob's Big Boy (Burbank)
Hollywood
Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum
Disney Soda Fountain (sundaes!!)
7:30pm~Tortilla Jo's

Sun, Dec 16:
7:40am~Storyteller's Cafe
La Brea Tar Pits
Farmer's Market
Dinner~Mrs Knott's Chicken Dinner (late dinner)

Mon, Dec 17:
DL/DCA
Breakfast~Flo's V-8 Cafe
Lunch~Tangaroa Terrace (Mid afternoon)
Return Car Rental
Catch shuttle to airport
Fly home

The meals that have times are already reserved but the ones without needed to be changed or added.....so emailing Disney Dining to make the adjustments and will have times later. EDITED: Got my email back from Disney Dining so went ahead and added the times!!

I actually like this better.......being across from the parks and not going for the first 3 days would have been hard on all of us.....this way, we get to go the next day after arriving.......have ALL weekdays at the parks (so hopefully smaller crowds) and we'll end with our LA day trips and a half day at the parks before heading home.

Getting pretty exciting knowing this is REALLY happening now!!!

Last edited by DizNee Luver; 10-17-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #43
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Sounds like a great, action-packed plan, Laurie! And the plan has been made so much better now that you can stay at the PPH for the entire time.

Have you done a 7:30 p.m. Goofy's Kitchen meal before? If so, maybe it will be okay. If not, I would be afraid of the characters possibly starting to trickle out a bit early, since the restaurant closes at 9 p.m. It happened to Sherri (TheColtonsMom) in December in 2010, and she was crushed. The dinner that my friends and I did in December 2011 was just before 6 p.m., and we probably stayed probably the full 90 minutes. It was great as far as characters - there were 8 of us and we were seated off in a back corner somewhere, but the characters never forgot us or left early!

What a great idea to use Derek's CM discount for the hotel! (I wish I knew a handy CM who would help me out with that!) I think that Cast Members get a 35% or 40% discount on rooms, if I'm not mistaken (unless that's changed), don't they? The current hotel rates are so ridiculous, and the discounts available to AP holders or to the general public are getting less substantial. I mean, seriously - I love the PPH but I don't know that it is a $315 per night (not including tax) kind of hotel. And $500+ per night for the cramped GCH rooms just seems outrageous.

I definitely think it's good for you to get in one big holiday extravaganza at DLR this year - because who knows what will happen next year? The money may not be there for you to make a holiday trip at that point. The prices may be too high. The roster of holiday entertainment could be dramatically different.

While some of what Al Lutz has reported may not happen - there's a lot of time for things to change before the holiday season of 2013 - Disney does seem to be on a path of taking things away and charging more as they do it.

Taking the longstanding holiday parade, holiday fireworks, snowfall on Main Street and possibly the Winter Enchantment lighting of the Castle and making them all part of a party for even more money is risky. And the party will not be un-crowded; there will be a lot of people at the party just like there have been at the Halloween parties. Also, forcing people to go to DLR during Christmas week or New Year's week at a higher price to see those things outside of a party, when it is already impossibly crowded during those weeks - is going to be controversial & upsetting.

I think the things I would be most annoyed about are losing the snow and the Winter Castle's icicle lights. Who wouldn't want to see the nighttime Winter Castle sparkling in icicle lights every night during their holiday visit? That Castle provides a gorgeous backdrop for the entire season, starting in mid-November. Who only wants to see the sparkly Castle during a party? Who only wants to get dusted with light snow on Main Street when it's part of a paid event, and everyone is crowded onto Main Street to get the same snow? (Yes, WDW has had this set-up for years, but DLR has not...and WDW has many, many other options for holiday activities and parks/hotels to go to while MVMCP is taking place!)

Many people will be upset about these changes IF they happen in that exact way. There are also a lot of folks who appear to not be bothered by it and seem to think it's all reasonable and justified. What surprises me, though, is that some of the folks who are in favor of these possible plans seem to be annoyed at the people who are not in favor, calling it "whining" and all of that. That kind of bugs me, to be honest. People who are not looking forward to these potential changes should be allowed to discuss them and vent about them without being called whiners. I think that is unfair. People have a right to be displeased and unhappy about it! We all love Disneyland - and some of us are very attached to it - but that doesn't mean we have to like/agree with every single decision they make (IF these decisions are made next year)!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #44
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I forgot to mention in my post above...

This is just something to throw into the mix to make your plans more complicated (), but I just remembered it and thought I'd mention it if you wanted to throw in something extra Christmasy.

If you didn't have Mrs. Knott's on the night after being at The Grove and Farmers Market and could move the chicken dinner to another night, I would suggest staying at Farmers Market and sticking around at The Grove until it gets dark. It's quite a festive place when the Christmas lights are on, and they have their own snowfall at certain times (can't recall when). There are also carolers and a Santa photo spot.

You could always eat dinner there too - there are lots of places to chow down around FM and The Grove. There's a Cheesecake Factory. There's a Maggiano's Little Italy. There's a BBQ place.

After that, you could drive around Beverly Hills a bit and see the gorgeous holiday lights there too, before heading back to Orange County.

Anyway...just throwing it out there!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #45
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Sounds like a great, action-packed plan, Laurie! And the plan has been made so much better now that you can stay at the PPH for the entire time.

Have you done a 7:30 p.m. Goofy's Kitchen meal before? If so, maybe it will be okay. If not, I would be afraid of the characters possibly starting to trickle out a bit early, since the restaurant closes at 9 p.m. It happened to Sherri (TheColtonsMom) in December in 2010, and she was crushed. The dinner that my friends and I did in December 2011 was just before 6 p.m., and we probably stayed probably the full 90 minutes. It was great as far as characters - there were 8 of us and we were seated off in a back corner somewhere, but the characters never forgot us or left early!

What a great idea to use Derek's CM discount for the hotel! (I wish I knew a handy CM who would help me out with that!) I think that Cast Members get a 35% or 40% discount on rooms, if I'm not mistaken (unless that's changed), don't they? The current hotel rates are so ridiculous, and the discounts available to AP holders or to the general public are getting less substantial. I mean, seriously - I love the PPH but I don't know that it is a $315 per night (not including tax) kind of hotel. And $500+ per night for the cramped GCH rooms just seems outrageous.

I definitely think it's good for you to get in one big holiday extravaganza at DLR this year - because who knows what will happen next year? The money may not be there for you to make a holiday trip at that point. The prices may be too high. The roster of holiday entertainment could be dramatically different.

While some of what Al Lutz has reported may not happen - there's a lot of time for things to change before the holiday season of 2013 - Disney does seem to be on a path of taking things away and charging more as they do it.

Taking the longstanding holiday parade, holiday fireworks, snowfall on Main Street and possibly the Winter Enchantment lighting of the Castle and making them all part of a party for even more money is risky. And the party will not be un-crowded; there will be a lot of people at the party just like there have been at the Halloween parties. Also, forcing people to go to DLR during Christmas week or New Year's week at a higher price to see those things outside of a party, when it is already impossibly crowded during those weeks - is going to be controversial & upsetting.

I think the things I would be most annoyed about are losing the snow and the Winter Castle's icicle lights. Who wouldn't want to see the nighttime Winter Castle sparkling in icicle lights every night during their holiday visit? That Castle provides a gorgeous backdrop for the entire season, starting in mid-November. Who only wants to see the sparkly Castle during a party? Who only wants to get dusted with light snow on Main Street when it's part of a paid event, and everyone is crowded onto Main Street to get the same snow? (Yes, WDW has had this set-up for years, but DLR has not...and WDW has many, many other options for holiday activities and parks/hotels to go to while MVMCP is taking place!)

Many people will be upset about these changes IF they happen in that exact way. There are also a lot of folks who appear to not be bothered by it and seem to think it's all reasonable and justified. What surprises me, though, is that some of the folks who are in favor of these possible plans seem to be annoyed at the people who are not in favor, calling it "whining" and all of that. That kind of bugs me, to be honest. People who are not looking forward to these potential changes should be allowed to discuss them and vent about them without being called whiners. I think that is unfair. People have a right to be displeased and unhappy about it! We all love Disneyland - and some of us are very attached to it - but that doesn't mean we have to like/agree with every single decision they make (IF these decisions are made next year)!
Quote:
I forgot to mention in my post above...

This is just something to throw into the mix to make your plans more complicated (), but I just remembered it and thought I'd mention it if you wanted to throw in something extra Christmasy.

If you didn't have Mrs. Knott's on the night after being at The Grove and Farmers Market and could move the chicken dinner to another night, I would suggest staying at Farmers Market and sticking around at The Grove until it gets dark. It's quite a festive place when the Christmas lights are on, and they have their own snowfall at certain times (can't recall when). There are also carolers and a Santa photo spot.

You could always eat dinner there too - there are lots of places to chow down around FM and The Grove. There's a Cheesecake Factory. There's a Maggiano's Little Italy. There's a BBQ place.

After that, you could drive around Beverly Hills a bit and see the gorgeous holiday lights there too, before heading back to Orange County.

Anyway...just throwing it out there!
No, we've eaten around 7pm before (I think......) but when I originally had set up a "late" dinner.....they had us for 8:30pm........ so I'm thinking it will be ok??

We were going to stay just our last night at PPH and that would have run us over $750........so I'm glad we looked into the CM discount........I can tell you it was a substantial discount.......it really was only a difference of $276 with room, tickets and AP.......that's the ONLY way we could have even thought of staying the whole time at the pier!!! I'm super excited!!

All the changes and whether they happen or not makes for a lot of worry and speculation. I just wish the DL would stop trying to be WDW. DL can and never will be WDW....there isn't room to do that and it's a different "market". DL sits in the middle of a city, no room for growth, brings in lots of local visitors, and has many other options of vacation attractions for out of town guests. Where WDW is a HUGE spread out area, away from towns and also away from other attractions (yes there are some.....but not nearly as concentrated as S. Cali) So why do the powers that be, think they need to turn DL into an all inclusive resort?? They keep plenty busy, so why change things??

The 3 resort hotels are all expensive....it would be nice if they had made one of them affordable. It's getting to the point, the only reason we can afford these trips is because either Mike's mom treated us or we got a hefty refund from the IRS.....what happens when the adoption credits are all done (and they are) and Mike's pay goes up just enough to stop the nice tax credits we have qualified for over the last few years (and that could happen this year)....then what?? At the rate they're going......this possibly could be our last family trip!! I haven't said this out loud or even discussed it, but it's the truth. Disneyland is pushing out families on lower incomes or even moderate incomes.....they offer all these perks to stay at their resorts......so I see this as "if you can afford it, we'll cater and bend over backwards for you". Not really a good message for Disney to be sending out........ This subject actually depresses me a bit.......

I don't think it's fair for people in favor of paying for the holiday offerings (Like in a party) to call people against tradition~~whiners!! Here we go again.....if you can afford it, you'll get the benefits. For some people, just scraping enough money to go is a huge undertaking......now something they've always offered for all guests could become an expensive exclusive. Large families like mine would be screwed. (8 x $60 est. = $480).....that's a lot of money JUST to see snow fall on Main Street. It's magical, but I've seen it for FREE. Change is necessary, I understand that.......but we're not all made of money, or we have large families, or children with special needs that might not handle one of these parties & we would feel forced to stay because of the money we put out, etc. This is not whining.....its reality Big Difference!!

Oh, I'll see what I can find on the Farmer's Market holiday stuff. I might be interested in that. None of our plans are set in stone....we may have dining reservations.....but luckily, dining at DL isn't as major as it is at WDW.....so last minute changes can be made. (weather will also play into our plans)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: