Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
DaniH
Earning My Ears

Haunted Mansion Holiday at WDW ever?

Has there ever been any talk of doing this at Disney World? My kids adore Jack and I know they would love this but I don't know if we will ever make it out to Disneyland.
DaniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniH View Post
Has there ever been any talk of doing this at Disney World? My kids adore Jack and I know they would love this but I don't know if we will ever make it out to Disneyland.
No. The overlay downs HM at DL for nearly one month every year. WDW has a different demographic of visitors and does not need it. I like that some things are different at DL and WDW.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I have no desire to see HM go down for two weeks before and two weeks after the Halloween/Christmas season- so I'm fine with things staying the way they are. Jack and Sally will just have to be happy with their California holiday home.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

We did lunch with an imagineer a few years ago and he said probably not. I asked specifically because I'd love to see it too!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Spanky
Mouseketeer

Slim to none are your chances. DL has lots of repeat customers so they do things like the Haunted Mansion & Its a Small World make overs- also they change up Space Mountain to encourage repeat business. Disney World markets itself more as a world wide park where many folks come once in their lives. [That does not apply to any of us]. There is no need for them to go the expense of doing a make over to generate repeat business - they stay full with first time visitors. Also there is a down time envolved in putting on such a show - 2 weeks to set it up and 2 weeks to put things back the way they were. WDW gets enough grief over rides being down for mainteanace - can you imagine the cry that would go up if these popular rides were down just to set up another scene?
I do encourage you to look into going to DL during this time. I was there last year and the makeover on the Haunted Mansion is really wonderful - we rode it 11 times during the week we were there plus DL now have the great car ride & World of Color. We stayed at the Best Western across from DL - the walk to the front gate was shorter than the walk at Pops Century to the bus lines. It really is very compact. A great park to start out with young kids as there is so much less walking than there is at WDW.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
matheke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I have no desire to see HM go down for two weeks before and two weeks after the Halloween/Christmas season- so I'm fine with things staying the way they are. Jack and Sally will just have to be happy with their California holiday home.
Just from personal experience, I think it is more than two weeks after. In 2004and 2009 we went to DL for my birthday (45 and 50th) the first week of Feb and have never seen the HM open at DL. Now maybe we were just the unlucky types and they were doing a rehab along with the changeback.

Dan
matheke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Slim to none for all the reasons mentioned.I could hear the outcry now if they closed HM 4 weeks each year ( not including rehabs ) for this.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Hopefully never.

I actually greatly dislike the idea of closing an attraction for a period of time just so they can change it temporarily. Sorry, when I am there, I want to ride Haunted Mansion... not an overlay from a film I don't care for.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I love the NBC overlay at HM at Disneyland and would like to see it at WDW too. It's a fun addition.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

I'm almost tempted to take a trip to DL just to experience it. Almost.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
Bagheera23608
Bagheera23608

I can understand the reason for not doing the overlay at WDW, however they need to do SOMETHING at WDW for NBC. This movie is still insanely popular almost 20 years after it's release. There is no reason for Jack and Sally to be banished to CA only. I hope the hours long wait for pics with them during Frankenweenie weekend does some convincing. It doesn't have to be the overlay, but something more than just merchandise.
Bagheera23608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
DaniH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera23608 View Post
I can understand the reason for not doing the overlay at WDW, however they need to do SOMETHING at WDW for NBC. This movie is still insanely popular almost 20 years after it's release. There is no reason for Jack and Sally to be banished to CA only. I hope the hours long wait for pics with them during Frankenweenie weekend does some convincing. It doesn't have to be the overlay, but something more than just merchandise.
Agreed. It would make a great dark ride for Hollywood Studios.
DaniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCntryGirl View Post
I'm almost tempted to take a trip to DL just to experience it. Almost.
Well, it's *almost* worth it. I'm not even a huge NBC fan, but what they do to the HM at DLR is amazing.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
+Rosetta+
Garden Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera23608 View Post
I agree, it would neat to have something for NBC featured in the parks even if it was just something for the MNSSHP like a special meet & greet and/or a float in the parade.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

I got to see Haunted Mansion Holiday @DL for the first time ever on Monday while visiting DS23 in LA. I don't really know NBC much, I have watched bits and pieces with the kids over the years, but the overlay is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!! We all loved it - I would gladly give up HM@ WDW for the time it takes to put this together - but it would GREATLY spike the attendance at MNSSHP & MVMCP IMHO. Still, I'd like to see it.
We also got to meet Jack and Sally out front - great character interaction!!!

There were so many things at DL and CA I would love to see at WDW - takes a bit of the sting out of loosing one of my kids to Cali - I'll just have to visit more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: