Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
mickeys#1fan
Mouseketeer

Fancy dress nights

Are there any nights aboard the Dream that involve wearing a suit? I wear one all week and would like it a lot if I didn't have to on vacation. Besides, I can travel all the more lightly without one.
January 2001 - New members at VWL
June 2001 - HHI Resort
June 2001 - 4 day Wonder
July 2001 - VWL
Sep. 2001 - BWV
Dec. 2001 - VWL
May 2002 - HHI Resort
Aug. 2002 - BCV
Sep. 2002 - OKW
May 2003 - HHI
July 2003 - VWL
May 2004 - HHI
Aug 2004 - SSR/BCV
March 2005 - OKW/VWL
July 2005 - HHI
mickeys#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeys#1fan View Post
Are there any nights aboard the Dream that involve wearing a suit? I wear one all week and would like it a lot if I didn't have to on vacation. Besides, I can travel all the more lightly without one.
Cruises on the Dream have an optional dress-up night. You may see a few suits, but they are not required.

Disney "requests" no shorts in the dining room, but not everyone honors that request.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
maryliz
The Whoosh Fairy RULEs, the Bloat Fairy DROOLs!
(the tag fairy rules, too!)

DH did not take a suit on our Dream cruise ... just wore pants, shirt/tie each night. And for our Fantasy cruise next year, I will have to seriously consider if I want to pack a suit for him ... takes up too much room in the luggage. We will definitely tone down our dress for the MDR's for more of the nights next year ... I will take more capris and blouses for me, rather than skirts/dresses for each night, and more dockers and polo shirts for DH and DS.

You will see a broad range of dress in the MDR's, so next time, I'm going with what is most comfortable and easy for us.

Me DH DD DS
maryliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
samily
DIS Veteran

Are you dining at Palo or Remy?

From the DCL site:

At Palo, dress pants and shirt or jacket is required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

Remy:
Dinner Dress Code
A dress code is enforced during dinner.

Men: A jacket (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket) is required, with dress pants/slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Please no jeans, shorts, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
Ladies: Cocktail dress, evening dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse are required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
Brunch Dress Code

During the Remy Champagne Brunch, dress pants and a shirt are required for men. A jacket is optional for Brunch. Women's attire requires a dress or pantsuit. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeys#1fan View Post
I still believe they call it "optional" dress up, and you'll see many people relishing the opportunity to dress up and feel really classy aboard a beautiful ship. The central atrium is a delight to visit and you can almost imagine yourself transformed back in time to the golden age of sailing. Really.

But, many people do not dress up. Optional is pretty clear, so whatever floats your boat.

Just have respect for your fellow cruisers, DCL guidelines about no shorts are also very clear. Nice slacks and a shirt will always, always work in the main dining rooms.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Also depends on length of cruise. Seven nights have a "formal" night but four/five-nights only go to semi-formal and that covers a wide range. We had the wrong night last time, but did not feel out of place in khakis and golf shirt...I was not alone. But whatever you do...don't forget pirate night!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by samily View Post
Are you dining at Palo or Remy?

From the DCL site:

At Palo, dress pants and shirt or jacket is required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

We had dinner in Palo two weeks ago on the Fantasy and there were a few men wearing nice polo shirts and slacks. They didn't look out of place to us.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
linco711
DIS Veteran

sailing on the Fantasy next week and DH just hates formal night. I always force the issue and insist he wear a suit which is probably not very nice of me. He's always so uncomfortable! I 've packed him a suit this year, but am thinking I may have to be nice and loosen up a little and just have formal night dinner in Canannas or have room service...I Know that would make him very happy, and I'm sure he'd enjoy the cruise much more...anyway glad to hear that there are others who feel the same...
linco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linco711 View Post
have formal night dinner in Canannas or have room service...
This is what we plan to do for formal night. neither myself or DH has any desire to dress formally on vacation
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linco711 View Post
sailing on the Fantasy next week and DH just hates formal night.
<Snip>
I 've packed him a suit this year, but am thinking I may have to be nice and loosen up a little and just have formal night dinner in Canannas or have room service...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz View Post
This is what we plan to do for formal night. neither myself or DH has any desire to dress formally on vacation
I don't think there's any reason to skip the main dining room on "formal night" just because you've chosen not to get so dressy. No one else in the room cares what your family is wearing.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWQuestie

I don't think there's any reason to skip the main dining room on "formal night" just because you've chosen not to get so dressy. No one else in the room cares what your family is wearing.
I agree. Don't let the judgement of others stop you from enjoying the MDR. We never go all out and we are always quite happy
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

I agree! I can't remember one time noticing what other people were wearing! If you don't want to participate in formal night, don't! If anyone complains, it seems that is their issue.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

I also agree and no one will complain! DD and I dressed up only because she wanted to and we entered Royal Court next to a guy wearing cargo shorts and Topsiders. I remember because I was soooo envious - he looked so comfortable and my feet were already killing me!! So on semi-formal night I wore my trusted black cruise dress with my trusted black Keens! DD thought it was funny and I didn't care !
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: