Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #76
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Maybe this will help. Thank you for anyone defending my decision to not run local races. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. But it's ok now. I'm not upset and we don't have to keep debating it.

For informational purposes tho I will say that it sounds like there are some cities with a lot more local races than I have found around my town. And no they aredefinitely not all for elite runners.

Thank you for encouraging others to go watch a local race though. I'm sure they are more friendly than many think. It just wasn't my thing and I have a right to feel that way. I am glad for those who do enjoy them! (like my BFF who ran the 5k here at Disney this weekend that I supported and cheered!)

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #77
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

I can't believe I'm jumping back into this too but I really want to say this.

For me, I don't run because I want to run races. I run because three years ago I was so injured I didn't know if I would ever WALK "normally" again. I told myself that if I made it "back" to running (which I used to do occasionally for fitness but not much) I would and I wouldn't take it for granted ever again.

So I run because I can. Not because I want to enter races or win them. I keep a slow pace right now bc it's best on my knee. I stay away from a lot of hills for the same reason. I guess that's what I meant by personal decision.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #78
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
Maybe this will help. Thank you for anyone defending my decision to not run local races. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. But it's ok now. I'm not upset and we don't have to keep debating it.

For informational purposes tho I will say that it sounds like there are some cities with a lot more local races than I have found around my town. And no they aredefinitely not all for elite runners.

Thank you for encouraging others to go watch a local race though. I'm sure they are more friendly than many think. It just wasn't my thing and I have a right to feel that way. I am glad for those who do enjoy them! (like my BFF who ran the 5k here at Disney this weekend that I supported and cheered!)
I'm sorry if I came across as sounding like you were wrong for not running local races. That was not my intention at all. In the first post I replied to I though the sole reason you did not want to was because you were intimidated. The suggestion to go watch a race was taken wrong, and not by you. I don't run to win anything but a personal victory. (and if I finish a finishers medal for those races that give them out) I run for exercise and as a way to spend time with my husband. Races are fun for me, too. I love the atmosphere and all the good energy. I understand that not all cities have the same amount of races but even when I lived in a smaller city (and was not a runner) I frequently heard of different races for different causes and themed races. That is why I am surprised to hear people say most local races are for elite runners. This has not been my experience in more than one city. I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just trying to clarify my point that may have been lost.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #79
johde
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
She is the minority, don't let her view destroy your impression of these boards. I get what you are saying 100%. I don't really think anyone wants to be last, and those that say it isn't a big deal have most likely never been last! Granted, it is an honor at the Air Force Marathon so I am pretty sure some people were fighting for last spot there.

So were you going for the tail end charlie award. When I did the 10K at the Air Force marathon in 2009, I finished 1320/1469.

On the not wanting to finish last question, for me, there is a difference between a last place finish that's in the mix and way back last place. At an extremely small 5K last winter I finished in 33:59, a huge PR for me. I was the last runner to cross the finish line the person in front of me finished in 33:29. There was then a 10 min. break before the first of the walkers finished in 43:33. Around here, people are usually very supportive of the people at the back of the pack.

Before entering a race, I usually look at last years results to see where I might finish. I skipped entering some races that seemed to be for a bit more serious runner. One was a charity run put on by one of the frats at a local college. The last finisher finished in just over 35:00. At the time, I was doing 45:00+ for a 5K. On the other hand, the very first 5K I did I finished in just under 1:00 and wasn't last.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #80
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
I can't believe I'm jumping back into this too but I really want to say this.

For me, I don't run because I want to run races. I run because three years ago I was so injured I didn't know if I would ever WALK "normally" again. I told myself that if I made it "back" to running (which I used to do occasionally for fitness but not much) I would and I wouldn't take it for granted ever again.

So I run because I can. Not because I want to enter races or win them. I keep a slow pace right now bc it's best on my knee. I stay away from a lot of hills for the same reason. I guess that's what I meant by personal decision.
Your story is one of the many reasons I have learned to really love this sport and have developed an addiction to it. It is so inspiring to see what obstacles others are overcoming by participating. I hope you find some great races that are flat and fun and that your knee keeps improving! Thank you for sharing that with us.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #81
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johde View Post
So were you going for the tail end charlie award. When I did the 10K at the Air Force marathon in 2009, I finished 1320/1469.

On the not wanting to finish last question, for me, there is a difference between a last place finish that's in the mix and way back last place. At an extremely small 5K last winter I finished in 33:59, a huge PR for me. I was the last runner to cross the finish line the person in front of me finished in 33:29. There was then a 10 min. break before the first of the walkers finished in 43:33. Around here, people are usually very supportive of the people at the back of the pack.

Before entering a race, I usually look at last years results to see where I might finish. I skipped entering some races that seemed to be for a bit more serious runner. One was a charity run put on by one of the frats at a local college. The last finisher finished in just over 35:00. At the time, I was doing 45:00+ for a 5K. On the other hand, the very first 5K I did I finished in just under 1:00 and wasn't last.
Makes sense to me and I wish more people would share that. I definitely wasn't going for that award, but I know someone who got it last year. I wanted to witness it this year, but wasn't feeling great after finishing the Marathon. The heat really got to me at the end. But, I will see and cheer on that runner next year!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #82
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

I ran the Wine and Dine (very fun!) and received a medal when I finished the race. I was there with my husband's cousin who also entered the race. She trained hard, but had some knee issues during her training, as well as several tragic family incidents in the month leading up to the race.

When I was just shy of mile 10 I read a text from her indicating that she had to stop due to her knee "popping". Somewhere during my final 5k I decided that I would give her my medal as a way to recognize all she had to overcome to get to the start. I was a bit surprised when I met up with her after I finished because she did indeed have a medal around her neck.

She told me that the sweeping was handled with dignity and respect. I guess I don't really focus on medals so much. I have several sitting in a closet and have never experienced a DNF. My "competition" is me and the goals I have set for myself. Who RD's decide to give medals to is outside my control or concern.

I hope to get to travel with my husband's cousin to a race again, and I know she will feel totally comfortable signing up for another race. What she does with her Wine and Dine medal and what it represents to her is personal to her. She had truthfully reported her race experience on Facebook before I ever reached the finish, so I know she will not try to pass herself off as a finisher.

My medal? It will likely go in my closet with the others......
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #83
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.

I have cute story to share that is the polar opposite of the "I don't want to finish last" spectrum.

Several years ago I was in PT for an injury and my therapist was really fast runner in her early 30s who frequently won local races from 5ks to halfs.

I went in for a PT session the Monday after Thanksgiving and asked the therapist how her hometown Turkey Trot had been on Thursday morning.....

"It was awful - I didn't win! This is the first time I have ever run this race and not won!" I could tell from her tone of voice that she was truly annoyed by this turn of events.

Now at this point I am trying really hard to keep a straight face but sympathy was beyond me so my response was just "oh".

She then told me that her dad was really annoyed with her attitude and told her to get over it before they got in the car to drive home or he was going to make her walk the 10 miles back to the house.

I think I love her Dad
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #84
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerGirl View Post
I have cute story to share that is the polar opposite of the "I don't want to finish last" spectrum.

Several years ago I was in PT for an injury and my therapist was really fast runner in her early 30s who frequently won local races from 5ks to halfs.

I went in for a PT session the Monday after Thanksgiving and asked the therapist how her hometown Turkey Trot had been on Thursday morning.....

"It was awful - I didn't win! This is the first time I have ever run this race and not won!" I could tell from her tone of voice that she was truly annoyed by this turn of events.

Now at this point I am trying really hard to keep a straight face but sympathy was beyond me so my response was just "oh".

She then told me that her dad was really annoyed with her attitude and told her to get over it before they got in the car to drive home or he was going to make her walk the 10 miles back to the house.

I think I love her Dad
That is too funny! Sometimes we all need a reality check, and she seems to have gotten hers that day, courtesy of a great Dad. I wonder if she won the next year.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #85
BikeFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilvr View Post
And trust me, I get the self-conscious bit. I'm a fat runner (~225 lbs; 6'4. started running half marys when I weight 250+). I get a lot of looks and comments out on the course, usually because I'm running faster than the skinny people and they can't figure it out. At first I was a little self-conscious about it, but I finally decided to let it go. It helps that I am much faster than anyone expects when they look at me. You should see the looks I get from people when I line up in one of the first corrals. I can practically hear them wondering why I'm there and not in the back "with the rest of the fatties" (yes, I've actually heard that said). Eh. Whatever. Once the gun goes off it's all about what you do on the road. I generally finish minutes ahead of my corralmates. They can eat my dust.
I love this. I've got a relative who's a bigger guy - just under 6 foot, 220 pounds, and very stocky-looking. He's also done an Ironman, and just dropped his PR in the half to under 1:45. You're totally right - once the gun goes off, looking fast does not beat being fast!!
BikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #86
BikeFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
I think many of you are being really insensitive to those athletes who trained just as hard, if not harder, than you did for a disney race and were swept.
If someone trained just as hard as me, then being swept would not be a concern. I am in no way a natural athlete - I was always picked last in gym class, and I was never a starter on any sports team. I'm not an elite runner by any means, but my times are respectable for my age group. But I train hard, and I train in heat, cold, rain - whatever. I'll only not run outside if it's icy, because I don't want to risk a fall. Luckily, I have a treadmill for those days. Proper training is, and should be, very hard.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #87
BikeFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worfiedoodles View Post
WISH is supposed to be a community of support and encouragement. It makes me so sad that it has apparently evolved into a group that is reserved for the "real" runners.

Maria
Support and encouragement mean different things to different people. To me, it means aiding a person in a positive way in reaching a worthy goal, but most of all, it means doing it honestly. Running halfs and fulls is a worthy goal, but it's a hard goal, and it takes lots of hard work and hard training to get there. There are no short-cuts here.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #88
Quiksilvr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeFan View Post
I love this. I've got a relative who's a bigger guy - just under 6 foot, 220 pounds, and very stocky-looking. He's also done an Ironman, and just dropped his PR in the half to under 1:45. You're totally right - once the gun goes off, looking fast does not beat being fast!!
On a whim, I ran a 5K recently up in my wife's hometown. I did okay for it being a very hilly course (23:00) and finished 4th in my age group. I had a guy come up to me afterwards and say:

"I was completely determined to catch you, because there is no way you should be able to run faster than me. But I couldn't do it."

I thanked him for the backhanded compliment and moved on with my life. It was kinda sweet.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #89
BikeFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilvr View Post
On a whim, I ran a 5K recently up in my wife's hometown. I did okay for it being a very hilly course (23:00) and finished 4th in my age group. I had a guy come up to me afterwards and say:

"I was completely determined to catch you, because there is no way you should be able to run faster than me. But I couldn't do it."

I thanked him for the backhanded compliment and moved on with my life. It was kinda sweet.
That's a great time for any 5K, especially a hilly one! Congratulations! Are you doing longer events too? I try to mix it up - everything from 5Ks to my first full marathon last weekend. Helps to keep it interesting.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #90
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
I think many of you are being really insensitive to those athletes who trained just as hard, if not harder, than you did for a disney race and were swept. Let's be clear that not every person who is swept planned on just running a mile or two and getting the medal anyway. There are folks who work their butts off and are extremely disappointed that they were swept. Do they deserve a medal? Absolutely. These races are more than just the race. They are the journey leading up to them too. And some of those folks who were swept went on the same journey as we all did and trained hard. They deserve the medal and them some for having the courage and the tenacity to keep going and trying even though those balloons were on their tail.

Don't "lose respect" for those who were swept and accepted a medal. Give them the utmost respect and be thankful that you have never been swept.

Do the medals say "finisher" on them? No. All participants absolutely should receive one.

Could there be people who signed up knowing they wouldn't finish but wanted a medal? Sure. Maybe. But does it harm you at all that they have one? No.

OP - sorry for the hijack. I know some of the folks who replied won't look at this post and think of those people that are sad to have been swept after having put so much effort in and realize that they definitely deserve a medal. But I hope your daughter will respect those people who worked their butts off and tried their best. I hope my kids realize that that is the most important thing.
But it isn't a training hard medal or a starter's medal. It is a finisher's medal. I'm sure a lot of people start college and study very hard, even harder than some at the top of the class, but they drop out and don't finish. These people don't get degrees because they studied hard.

I have the utmost respect for anyone that trains to do a race and goes out with the best of intentions. If you don't finish you use it as motivation the next year or at a later race somewhere else to earn you medal. Not finishing a race will never make me look down on someone but taking a medal you didn't earn in the only way you can...by finishing...yeah, I have no respect for those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
Someday they'll hand out medals with the bibs and goodie bags. Cut down on the congestion on the course.
They might as well at this point. There are many reasons I've lost respect for RunDisney over the years and handing out finisher's medals to people who don't finish is just one of them.

Last edited by FireDancer; 11-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: