Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
JCH
DIS Veteran

Two half marathons in 2 weeks?

I may have had a moment of crazy and signed up for 2 half marathons back to back. The first is A1A on Feb 17th, and the second is the Princess. I had already planned on using the Higdon Intermediate plan to get ready for the Princess as it's my 5th half and I want to break 3 hours (yeah, I'm slow!). My previous PR is 3:06. Since there is a 12 mile run the week before, it seemed logical to go ahead and do a half.

Should this be a problem? A1A has a time limit of 6 hours, so I can do it as a super slow training run and then race the Princess. Or would it be a better idea to train up to the A1A and then take the Princess nice and slow? Advice?

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
steph0808
Mouseketeer

I did two half marathons back to back during this marathon training cycle. I subbed them in for an 11-miler and a 12-miler. I ended up racing the first one and just doing the second one as a training run.

So I would do whichever you are more comfortable with. If you are going to do photo stops during the Princess and are going to be slower anyway, then I would race the A1A and run the Princess at a training pace.

If you want to try and set your PR at the Princess and won't be stopping for pictures, etc., then I would run the A1A at a slow training pace and race the Princess.

5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Go for it. Though i would not run either slower than your training pace. Injuries can occur if you try to go much slower than where you normally train.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Reep
Mouseketeer

Just pick which one you want to race, and do the other one at training pace. Totally up to you. Princess may be a bit more congested though.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

My strategy has been to give my all with the first one, and just rely on how I feel for the second one. I don't think it is ever possible to speed up for the second one, but I am sure some are able to. The key to surviving that is all in your recovery. I have always stuck to CW-X compression tights and added Endurox R4 recovery drink (I prefer the chocolate) and I just have a bottle with the powder that I mix with water as soon as I finish.

I will say that once you start doing races close together, it is the most empowering feeling. Somewhat exhausting as well.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

If you want your PR to occur at the Princess, then I'd treat the first one as a training run and run at your normal training pace, being careful not to get caught up in the excitement of the race and end up running too fast. If it were me, I'd go for my PR at the first one and then spend the Princess enjoying myself and taking pictures at all of the character stops along the way. To me, that's what Disney races are all about. Other races are for PRs.

John
FFigawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
JCH
DIS Veteran

Okay, so it seems the consensus is to race A1A and then take my time with Princess. In that case, should I start with Week 2 of the Higdon plan so that I have finished it before A1A and then just do a short recovery run or two in between that and the Princess? I just did a half marathon on Sunday, took Monday/Tuesday off from running (just did some Pilates for stretching), so will start up running again today.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: