Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
guava
Mouseketeer

Using Disney gift cards at Parks/Resorts/Restaurants

Hi there! We are headed to WDW on Thursday for a long weekend. I was thinking this time of buying gift cards to use rather than charging everything to the room. Primarily because I want it keep better track of our spending. I want to use the cards for Disney restaurants, snacks at F&W, souvenirs, Neverland Club, etc. How easy is it to use the cards? Are they really acceptable everywhere? Would appreciate any feedback from prior gift card users. Thanks!
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
PosadaGirl519
Mouseketeer

I love the idea of a debit instead of a credit. I've never had a problem using a disney gift card but I'm thinking I read somewhere that there are stores in DTD that don't accept it for payment. But I could be confusing that with the KTTW. If you can get a no-fee Visa/AMEX/MC gift card that may be the way to go because that will be accepted everywhere.

March 1985 OP
, March 1988 OP, March 1991 OP, Christmas 1993 OP, January 1999 OP, March 2005 OP, August 2008 AllSS, May 2009 '29th Birthday Celebration' POR, December 2009 'Fairy Tale Wedding' AKL, November 2011 'Quinn's 1st Birthday' SSTHV , March 2013 'Kennedy's 1st Birthday' BWV, October 2013 'Cary's 35th Birthday Present'
PosadaGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

I used Disney gift cards on my last trip and had no problem using them anywhere. I never charge to the room because it is not as easy to keep track of what you are spending. Have a wonderful time....we will be there in a month!
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
Hi there! We are headed to WDW on Thursday for a long weekend. I was thinking this time of buying gift cards to use rather than charging everything to the room. Primarily because I want it keep better track of our spending. I want to use the cards for Disney restaurants, snacks at F&W, souvenirs, Neverland Club, etc. How easy is it to use the cards? Are they really acceptable everywhere? Would appreciate any feedback from prior gift card users. Thanks!
You shouldnt have any problems using them except for some of the snack carts dont take them.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

We charge to KTTW and pay it off with the gift cards at the front desk. I can't imagine using gift cards alone would make it easier to track spending because the front desk provides you with a printout that lists the transaction amount, which card was charged, where the charge was made and when. Much easier than keeping track of all the loose receipts.

Find me on Instagram and Twitter!: @missx0xdelaney
Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip!
missx0xdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
guava
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missx0xdelaney View Post
We charge to KTTW and pay it off with the gift cards at the front desk. I can't imagine using gift cards alone would make it easier to track spending because the front desk provides you with a printout that lists the transaction amount, which card was charged, where the charge was made and when. Much easier than keeping track of all the loose receipts.
I guess I just feel I always spend a little more when I charge things. When I have to actually fork over the cash (or in this case the gift card) I'm more frugal. Plus, once the cards are gone they're gone. I'll be more apt to stick with my predetermined budget and no surprises at check-out.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like it will be doable!
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Downtown Disney and World Showcase are where you'll find the most vendors who may not take them. That's because that's where the most outside vendors have shops/dining. It's usually just a matter of asking.

As for dining, they'll treat a giftcard just like a charge card at most table service locations. Found that out when I did table service while doing some meals with friends and wasn't sure if they'd wipe the card out or could split it and charge me for my portion of the bill.

And I see how it makes it easier to budget. Having run around with multiple giftcards (hooray getting them as gifts!) I'd recommend using the "Notes" or something on your cell phone to keep track of the balance on each. Also, just put a sticker on each one or make sure you get different designs. Every receipt you get after using one will state the remaining balance. If you update your "Notes" after each use, you'll easily be able to see which one has $10 left versus which one has $200. I'm assuming you wont put all your charging for the entire stay on one card.. as that's all your cash gone if you lose your wallet/purse. Losing $150 or so of a $200 card if you lose your wallet will suck, the same as would losing cash, but it's not the end of the world.

Just keep in mind that once it's on a giftcard, it's Disney's money and you can't get it back.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add that if you use a Disney gift card, it prints your available balance remaining on each receipt. It's much easier to keep track of that way. If you use a Visa/Master/AmEx card, you have to call or go online to get your balance.

Disney will not refund a gift card balance so make sure you don't put too much money on a gift card.

Take a picture of the numbers on the back or write them down somewhere else. If you have that information, you can get replacements if the cards are lost or stolen.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
MVC1225
Mouseketeer

We only use gift cards. I know that some places don't take them (only places we've had an issue is the funnel cake kiosk in epcot and AMC in downtown disney) but these places wouldn't take your KTTW card either so no difference.

If you have an iPhone there is an app called Disney Gift Card where you input your card info and it updates your balance when you hit refresh. It's almost instantaneous when you refresh so very easy to keep track of your balances that way as well.
Future Trips: November 2014 - AoA; January 2015 - FW

MVC1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC1225 View Post
We only use gift cards. I know that some places don't take them (only places we've had an issue is the funnel cake kiosk in epcot and AMC in downtown disney) but these places wouldn't take your KTTW card either so no difference.

If you have an iPhone there is an app called Disney Gift Card where you input your card info and it updates your balance when you hit refresh. It's almost instantaneous when you refresh so very easy to keep track of your balances that way as well.
I LOVE this app!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

We charge our big purchases, but we like to use the gift card for little things like snacks, CS meals, etc. These are cases when we'd normally use cash, but the gift card makes it easy - no small bills, no change.

We always get the gift card on the wrist strap. They are available at Guest Services (for sure at the TTC) and of course at Epcot now during the Food and Wine Festival. We upload cash to the card each day. Most merchandise locations can easily do this for you. (We've had a few CMs that look at us like we have two heads, so I say most). We bring a certain amount of cash for each day. We just add it to the card in the morning, and we're set. This way, if we lose the card, we're only out the money for that day instead of the amount for each trip. Since it goes on the wrist, we've never lost it, misplaced it, set it down, nothing. Quite convenient.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: