Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Teen Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Chocolab23
Disney Dreaming

Question Getting a trip excused?

We are going to Disney in January to celebrate my birthday and I'm not sure my high school will excuse it. Any words of advice? Thanks
2013-Going to celebrate my birthday the best way!-PORLet your Hart be your guide/January 2013 PTR
2013-Alex's Unbirthday trip-POR"A Very Merry Unbirthday!" DEC 2013 PTR
Chocolab23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
acebatonfan
VMKer at heart

It depends on the teacher, level of the course, and what will be missed during your absence.

I have had a pre-calculus teacher deny my request to go to a MANDATORY orchestra event a few weeks ago just because he could (and I soon transferred out of his class), but more often than not, teachers will be understanding of the trip.

Teachers, though, may be a bit less willing if the classes you are leaving are AP classes compared to "blowoff electives." Some AP classes may have attendance policies, so I suggest that you re-check the syllabus for your classes if you're concerned about that.

Depending on what will be missed, you could be in for an easy return or a few days of torture. If you will be missing state exams, expect to be missing even more classes to make up these tests, and most schools do have a policy on how long you have to do your work, if any, before it counts as a zero. It would be a good idea to collaborate with your teachers to see what you will be missing, when you should turn in your make-up work, and when you should make up and tests, if any, before you leave for your vacation.

Here's an example of some of the work I've received when I went on a vacation in April last year for three days:

H Algebra II: Complete a homework and notes packet for when I return to school. Make up a test.
Biology: Complete a lesson packet for the day before I leave.
English: Complete a grammar packet and essay for the day I return.
H World Affairs: Study for Asia exam and get notes on what I've missed.
Orchestra: Nome (we all were gone on this trip)
H German: Complete a few book pages and make up a quiz.

Last edited by acebatonfan; 10-13-2012 at 11:30 AM.
acebatonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
wdwithinkyes
The Happiest Place On Earth DISNEY WORLD

At my school you can go to the main office and get a pre-arranged absent form to fill out, but I dont know about yours....
wdwithinkyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
HeyItsNickCA
Mouseketeer

At my school, we can apply for short - term independent study which means that the teachers give me my work and I do it out of school while I'm vacationing (or in my case, I am taking it for Dec 3 - December 7 which is a Monday - Friday and I will do as much work as I can before we leave which is on December 2 so I will have the Friday and Saturday before we leave to do as much work as possible which I'm sure I can finish.)

I suggest that you talk to your guidance counselor (if you have one) and if you don't have one then you should talk to your office staff. It would be much easier to do this via the office than going to each teacher personally.
HeyItsNickCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Orreed
Olivia

Glad to know I'm not the only one doing this. Planning on taking off three days one including a half-day. Will be reading along to hear all the good advice.
Orreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Chocolab23
Disney Dreaming

Thanks for the help I was thinking about doing YES classes while I was there too. Has anyone taken one?
2013-Going to celebrate my birthday the best way!-PORLet your Hart be your guide/January 2013 PTR
2013-Alex's Unbirthday trip-POR"A Very Merry Unbirthday!" DEC 2013 PTR
Chocolab23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
trvlqueen
Earning My Ears

Your school might excuse a college visit ... try visiting UCF or UF while you're there or on the way ... then you can have your visit and have it excused, too!
trvlqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
PrincessBelle319
Mouseketeer

I've missed school every time I was in Disney, and I will again in 6 days (but only 2 days of school)! If your grades are good, mention how well you do. Also, request work before you leave so you can work on it on the flight/drive/whatever there. Enjoy your trip!

November-December 2006-CSR
December 2007-CSR
December 2008-CSR
November 2012!-AoA LK Suites!
I love CSR! <3

PrincessBelle319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlqueen View Post
Your school might excuse a college visit ... try visiting UCF or UF while you're there or on the way ... then you can have your visit and have it excused, too!
Hehe...you might research before you ask...
Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
disney is my life
DIS Veteran

I was sooo worried about this last year because we were going to Florida for two weeks in November right after I had just started high school. All my friends would tell me how I was going to get in soo much trouble for missing so much school and how I would never catch up. I got my mom to write a note 2 weeks before we left and I took it to the attendance office at my school and the lady gave me an extended absence form that I just had to get my teachers to sign saying they knew I wasn't going to be there. When I came back to school I didnt have much trouble catching up because I did some of the work while I was there. The only problem I had was all the tests on Shakespeare but that's just because I didn't read the book so you should be fine and have fun

November 2011-All Star Movies
March 2013-POP Century
November 2013-Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2015-Caribbean Beach Resort
disney is my life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Oswald lover
Hylian

do what i did

you can always tell them in a way thats true but not all the story. Im going to disney with my grandma and all i said was that she wants to take us there on one last vacation with her and all my teachers were fine with it!
Oswald lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

My school refuses all absences because it's rubbish and trying to raise it's attendance. Heck, they even rejected someone's request to go to their grandma's funeral! How disrespectful is that?!

We get charged £100 per person if we go after getting refused. Totally worth it though. Some people just call in sick if they only miss a few days. Disney is very educational so I don't see the problem!

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Experiment113
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebatonfan
It depends on the teacher, level of the course, and what will be missed during your absence.

I have had a pre-calculus teacher deny my request to go to a MANDATORY orchestra event a few weeks ago just because he could (and I soon transferred out of his class), but more often than not, teachers will be understanding of the trip.

Teachers, though, may be a bit less willing if the classes you are leaving are AP classes compared to "blowoff electives." Some AP classes may have attendance policies, so I suggest that you re-check the syllabus for your classes if you're concerned about that.

Depending on what will be missed, you could be in for an easy return or a few days of torture. If you will be missing state exams, expect to be missing even more classes to make up these tests, and most schools do have a policy on how long you have to do your work, if any, before it counts as a zero. It would be a good idea to collaborate with your teachers to see what you will be missing, when you should turn in your make-up work, and when you should make up and tests, if any, before you leave for your vacation.

Here's an example of some of the work I've received when I went on a vacation in April last year for three days:

H Algebra II: Complete a homework and notes packet for when I return to school. Make up a test.
Biology: Complete a lesson packet for the day before I leave.
English: Complete a grammar packet and essay for the day I return.
H World Affairs: Study for Asia exam and get notes on what I've missed.
Orchestra: Nome (we all were gone on this trip)
H German: Complete a few book pages and make up a quiz.
I take orchestra too! What instrument do you play? I play a violin!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
dISNEYlOveer
Disney World Veteran but Earning my Ears on dis boards

I am going on a cruise (sadly not a DCL cruise) in 2 weeks and I was wondering the same thing...
Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
MickeyisBeast
Some people just don't understand what Mr. Tom Morrow meant to me
I think you need some ICE for that burn!
This is sooo Tinsel

I'm pretty sure at my school they don't excuse you for going to Disney/on vacation, and I don't see why they should... I missed two days of school last year, they were make up exam days, to go to Disney for my birthday in January but I didn't need to get it excused because they turn in the attendance record the day before the exam make up days, so it doesn't count against you. Try to get it excused, and if not, oh well you'll have some unexcused absences.

1999-Day Trip // 2000-Day Trip // 2002-Day Trip // 2006-Offsite // 2008-Contemporary // 2009-All Star // 2009-Polynesian // 2009-POR
// 2010-Coronado // 2010-Pop Century // 2010-Grand Floridian // 2011-CBR+Polynesian // 2012-Pop Century // 2012-Contemporary

MickeyisBeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: