Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Especially for celiac/medical needs,there may not be the variety of products available or offered if you *just* alert your server? Just seems the case from what I've read online/experienced. Next time, I will do everything I did last time and ask to speak to a chef the first night as well I think.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Melissa R
Jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by momhmmx2 View Post
I have celiac as well and I'm cruising in December. Who are you talking to? I called DCL and they tell me I have to wait until I'm on the cruise and find my servers to let them know
I have Celiac as well and had it noted on my reservation in advance, but the best advice I can give to you is to go to the place where they take dining change requests and Palo reservations on the first afternoon after you board. Talk to someone there about your dietary needs. My head server just so happened to be there that day, and I was able to preorder my dinner for the first night at that time. That way, my food came out with my family's.

Every night at dinner, I had gluten free rolls brought to me. Each night, I ordered my dinner for the next night. I don't think I ordered specific desserts but instead just told them to surprise me. I have fantastic desserts!

Now, they also told me that I needed to eat all my breakfasts and lunches in the dining rooms, but I didn't want to do that. So when I went to Cabanas for a meal, I just used my best judgement to find things that I knew were safe, and then when I had questions, I would explain my situation to a host and they would get a chef for me. I was able to find out what was safe and what wasn't. I did also get gluten free waffles from Cabanas once. It was a long wait but worth it.

At the fast food locations, they have gluten free pizza crusts but they take a little while to prepare. I think I was offered gluten free hamburger buns, but I can't remember because i really don't like those - I just prefer to do without.
Melissa R is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I'm going on my 9 & 10th disney cruises, I did 3 cruises last year as vegan and gluten free. Suggestions, bring snacks for movies. Check in at the the restaurant change area and let them know you have allergies. I suggest you ask for the restaurant manager or your head server, they can bring a chef out like the raw vegan link mentioned. Beware of desserts. Make sure to ask that there is no dairy products. On my may 2011 cruise they brought a dessert that had marscepone cheese. Luckily I managed not to eat any.

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
pearljammer
Mouseketeer

Gluten and allergy?

I would imagine you may have a hard time finding out if something is gluten free. I dont' know if this is an allergy concern or merely other reasons. I say this because we've sailed with our DS who has an egg allergy. Although they know this, we had to pre-order meals and it was often difficult to find out if something had egg. We often played it safe and just passed if we had to question it. This limited his eating selection but they did a great job attempting to cater to his allergy though. So if it's you or anyone else who may read this with a food allergy of this type, just don't go into thinking it's perfect and easy. I found it to be frustating at times but not enough that it overshadowed the joy we experienced from our cruise. I have to keep in mind that if I'm frustrated, it may be frustrating for them as well.

There is plenty of food though. Have a great trip.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Thanks for this thread. I'm gluten free (intolerance, not celiacs) and was wondering. I know they are usually great at the restaurants at the parks (even in Japan) with allergy free options, so I was hoping the cruises would be the same. Sounds like they have lots of options!
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: