Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
bkjewett
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18

Fantasy Internet Service

Wondering how internet service is on the Fantasy as well as cost? I wish I could say that I'm on vacation and I don't need to check email but I own my own business so I do need to check it occasionally. Thanks for your feedback.
bkjewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
racingfandj
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 496

I personally think it looks pricey, but if you have to work, you have to do it.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...services/#wifi

I used the experimental browser on my Kindle 2 to check facebook and email occasionally to check on the house/animals. I would also look at your cell phone carrier and what islands you're going to. Text rates were reasonable to get on once a day and check on things.
__________________
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2012
Disney Dream - January 2013
Disney Wonder - June/July 2013
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
BrettW
Brett
 
BrettW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjewett
Wondering how internet service is on the Fantasy as well as cost? I wish I could say that I'm on vacation and I don't need to check email but I own my own business so I do need to check it occasionally. Thanks for your feedback.
Slow and overpriced, but it works. Note that Skype and GoToMyPC among others are blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Brett
BrettW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran
 
disneyfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 920

The internet is not only overpriced, but extremely slow. We were able to get some work done, but the time it took, took away from cruise fun.
If you have to log on, try doing it in the morning or afternoons, nights tend to have many trying to use the service and it is even slower!
__________________





[




disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
SG101
Mouseketeer
 
SG101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 230

Thanks for the info like always....hubby wanted to know pricing and speed. Thanks!!!!
__________________
Love Sailing DCL!!!
* Disney Wonder 3 Days Bahamas October 2000
* Disney Wonder 3 Days Bahamas October 2001
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Slow and expensive. 75 cents per minute out of a package down to about 30 cents per minute if you buy the biggest package.

Alternatives--most ports have free or low cost wifi available. Examples:

St. Thomas--Asian restaurant $3 for all day with no other purchase, less if you buy a meal. Walk toward the cable car entrance. Just before the ticket booth, this restaurant is on the right
St. Maarten--McDonald's free
Cozumel--Starbucks right at the pier, free with any purchase (code is on the receipt
Grand Cayman--I know they have it free, but we didn't use
Key West--several internet cafes at $5 per hour
St. Croix--turn right at first street. There is a building on the left side of street that houses a Budget car rental, art gallery and gift shop as well as an internet cafe. 15 minutes free with any purchase (they don't time you unless there is a line) or $3 for an hour without purchase. Also international cell phones $3 for 30 minutes of use.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjewett View Post
Wondering how internet service is on the Fantasy as well as cost? I wish I could say that I'm on vacation and I don't need to check email but I own my own business so I do need to check it occasionally. Thanks for your feedback.
I am in the same situation that I never completely get away. We have been on the Dream twice and I found it extremely slow and I would get kicked off constantly. We did the Fantasy Eastern last June and I was floored that it was pretty quick (expensive, but quick).
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
rhinodadz
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47

We'll be on the Fantasy (Eastern) in 2 weeks and my cell carrier (AT&T) considers both St Thomas and San Juan to be part of my US coverage. Check with your carrier - even if you're visiting other "foreign" ports you may be able to get a short-term international plan from your carrier.
rhinodadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinodadz View Post
We'll be on the Fantasy (Eastern) in 2 weeks and my cell carrier (AT&T) considers both St Thomas and San Juan to be part of my US coverage. Check with your carrier - even if you're visiting other "foreign" ports you may be able to get a short-term international plan from your carrier.


We use T-mobile and that was the case for us also.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
WonderlandsMostWantd
Actively enhancing my muchness.
 
WonderlandsMostWantd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post
We use T-mobile and that was the case for us also.
This is also the case for Sprint
__________________
WonderlandsMostWantd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
BeardedDragons
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Slow and expensive. 75 cents per minute out of a package down to about 30 cents per minute if you buy the biggest package.

Alternatives--most ports have free or low cost wifi available. Examples:

St. Thomas--Asian restaurant $3 for all day with no other purchase, less if you buy a meal. Walk toward the cable car entrance. Just before the ticket booth, this restaurant is on the right
St. Maarten--McDonald's free
Cozumel--Starbucks right at the pier, free with any purchase (code is on the receipt
Grand Cayman--I know they have it free, but we didn't use
Key West--several internet cafes at $5 per hour
St. Croix--turn right at first street. There is a building on the left side of street that houses a Budget car rental, art gallery and gift shop as well as an internet cafe. 15 minutes free with any purchase (they don't time you unless there is a line) or $3 for an hour without purchase. Also international cell phones $3 for 30 minutes of use.
Awesome info! Thanks kcashner!
__________________
Tammy
Mom of Brayden - keeper of Steven, the bearded dragon.



---
WDW, Pop Century ~ Jan 2014 | Atlantis ~ July 2013 | Fantasy ~ Jan 2013 | Magic ~ Jan 2012 | WDW, Off-site ~ Dec 2011 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Jun 2011 | Wonder ~ Dec 2010 | WDW, ASSports ~ Dec 2010 | Atlantis ~ May 2010 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Dec 2009 | Quebec City & Nova Scotia ~ July 2009 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2008 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2007 | WDW, Off-site ~ Feb 1987
BeardedDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
Slow and overpriced, but it works.
yep...i got it to make a quick deletion of the zillions of emails i knew i would be getting....
__________________
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
Kman34
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 119

The Wonder had a couple of computers that you could use in one of the lounges....are there any on the Fantasy?
__________________
Kman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust
 
Itinkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: California
Posts: 8,711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman34
The Wonder had a couple of computers that you could use in one of the lounges....are there any on the Fantasy?
You can borrow an iPad on the Fantasy.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Slow and expensive. 75 cents per minute out of a package down to about 30 cents per minute if you buy the biggest package.

Alternatives--most ports have free or low cost wifi available. Examples:

St. Thomas--Asian restaurant $3 for all day with no other purchase, less if you buy a meal. Walk toward the cable car entrance. Just before the ticket booth, this restaurant is on the right
St. Maarten--McDonald's free
Cozumel--Starbucks right at the pier, free with any purchase (code is on the receipt
Grand Cayman--I know they have it free, but we didn't use
Key West--several internet cafes at $5 per hour
St. Croix--turn right at first street. There is a building on the left side of street that houses a Budget car rental, art gallery and gift shop as well as an internet cafe. 15 minutes free with any purchase (they don't time you unless there is a line) or $3 for an hour without purchase. Also international cell phones $3 for 30 minutes of use.
Do you know where in Grand Cayman?

Any body know about Costa Maya?
__________________
DH, me, DS 16, DS 14
Candy Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.