Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up OT-Trip Planners, do you pamper yourself before your trip?

This is the first time I've had the foresight to build some extra time into my schedule in these last couple of days before the trip. I've got some packing to do, but the worst is done & everything is scheduled, printed or otherwise tended to. I've spent literally MONTHS working out the details of this trip, finagling schedules & pet sitters, hours spent figuring out & shopping for needed supplies, researching new attractions & pins, making reservations & budgeting to make it all happen. I realized a couple of weeks ago that I DESERVE to pamper myself a bit before the trip so that I don't start everything off by being the most stressed out person in our group.

So for these last 2 days before the trip I'm gifting myself a pedicure, massage & eyelash tinting. Yesterday I had an acupuncture session followed by 20 mins in the hot tub. I also built in some extra time to rest or get in an extra yoga practice. (Or to deal with any last-minute stresses that pop up like they tend to do!)

It never occurred to me before how stressful just preparing for these trips can be & how it wears on you, no matter how much fun you PLAN to have. This is the most relaxed I've ever been in the last couple of days before a trip like this, I'm so happy I did it! If you can work in some relaxing 'extras' for yourselves pre-trip to set the mood, DO IT!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Flounder11
Earning My Ears

Love it! I am doing the same, we leave in 6 days!!

POFQ 10/12
Off Site 5/11
Flounder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

I just have some routine "maintenance" (haircut and eye brow wax) to get taken care of before we go. I am also thinking about getting a "Mickey head" pedicure!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

This whole idea cracks me up. I don't think I will ever go to Disney again if I need several days off pampering to recover from planning before my vacation. I guess if I regularly got those kind of services, I would probably get them before my trip, but I'm not going out of my way to do anything special. The 8 day vacation, enjoying the fruits of my labor, will be enough for me.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69 View Post
This whole idea cracks me up. I don't think I will ever go to Disney again if I need several days off pampering to recover from planning before my vacation. I guess if I regularly got those kind of services, I would probably get them before my trip, but I'm not going out of my way to do anything special. The 8 day vacation, enjoying the fruits of my labor, will be enough for me.
Hey, to each her own. I work a grueling schedule of 50-60 hour workweeks & get very little time for myself. I'm not apologizing for making time for myself when I can or for giving priority to my own wants/needs. I consider it the same difference as those that book these sorts of services DURING their vacation, I'm just getting an early start.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFairy View Post
Hey, to each her own. I work a grueling schedule of 50-60 hour workweeks & get very little time for myself. I'm not apologizing for making time for myself when I can or for giving priority to my own wants/needs. I consider it the same difference as those that book these sorts of services DURING their vacation, I'm just getting an early start.
I wasn't dogging on you for doing it, I was just answering your question as to myself.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I got a pedi with one of the OPI Minnie Mouse collection polishes.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

I personally think it's a great idea to do a little pampering before the trip! Kind of starts the vacation early!
I usually get my nails done and maybe (if it's in the funds) my eye brows waxed. Not sure about this next trip. If my hair is a mess I might get it cut!

As soon as we can plan another trip, I'll start my TR
Time to go for Christmas! Dec '12 PTR
TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009
amandaluvsgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

I absolutely have been. We leave in 4 days. I got a mani pedi today, tomorrow a fresh haircut, and Friday I am going to get my makeup done, as we are taking family pictures for my daughter's birthday that day. Then Sunday we hit the road!
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit0863 View Post
I absolutely have been. We leave in 4 days. I got a mani pedi today, tomorrow a fresh haircut, and Friday I am going to get my makeup done, as we are taking family pictures for my daughter's birthday that day. Then Sunday we hit the road!
We fly out early morning in 3 days!!!! Being there IS enough for me, and the planning I've done the last 2 months WAS pure enjoyment! We are a family of 5 too, so there was much to be plan ( all the Disney World stuff, Discovery Cove , Sea World , and Universal + we are also celebrating a birthday while on vacation) I got a fresh haircut and coloring with highlights. I also had my eyebrows waxed. I do this stuff regularly any way, but i just timed it right to have done right before we go. I'm giving myself, and my 3 daughters, a manicure and pedicure. We are going to Disney theme on our toes I think having a girls "spa" night at home is more relaxing,and memorable than going out to get it done anyways! Not to mention, must cheaper!
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

I almost always get a haircut within a few weeks of vacation, usually have my brows waxed a few days before we leave and get a pedicure a day or two before we go. I only get a couple of pedicures a year, but I always make sure I get one before a Disney or beach trip. I wish I found these things relaxing, but I really don't. I do it because I like the way it looks and I don't do those things very often to begin with, but to me it is really just one more thing on the to do list.

Enjoy your trip. This is a great time of year to go.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
LilnStitchy
Earning My Ears

I got a pedi before our last trip to WDW and I will this time. I still have 17 days to go and I can only go on the weekends when DH is home to watch the kiddos. I'm planning for the weekend before. I also just so happen to have a mani/pedi groupon to use up, it'll be perfect. I also need to schedule a hair cut, I'm long long overdue.

Caribbean Beach Resort- 2011
LilnStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

I love to treat myself to a fresh hair cut, colouring and pedi before our trips. Have forgotten the Mickey heads for my toes but hopefully I'll remember that next time!

The one difference about my pre-Disney pedi is that I don't have them use the shaving tool on my feet as I need that stuff to help avoid blisters.

Enjoy your pampering!

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

I'll often get a mani-pedi before our trips (I wax my own eyebrows), but not a massage or other stress-relief treatment. I like to save those for after vacation, when my muscles have gotten their "Disney World workout."

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Most I do is a salon visit if it is time to have my hair permed. But then I donít normally get those other things done. I havenít had my nails done professionally since I had children. I got a kit from the mall I can use at home that gives me the same look I want from a regular manicure. After a couple of times juggling both children at the salon getting my eyebrows done, I learned how to do that at home too.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: