Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

Personal mini fridge and microwave

Have any of you, who have driven, ever brought your own mini fridge and microwave?

Me DH, DD20, DS18, DD12 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
lmillercrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmillercrew View Post
Have any of you, who have driven, ever brought your own mini fridge and microwave?
No.

We always have a microwave & fridge in our room (DVC members), & never use those anyway (except for DH's beer). I refuse to cook anything on vacation.
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
es45
DIS Veteran

We are thinking about bringing a personal fridge too. I looked for restrictions on the Disney site about bringing personal appliances but I haven't found anything yet. Interested in reading other responses.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
We are thinking about bringing a personal fridge too. I looked for restrictions on the Disney site about bringing personal appliances but I haven't found anything yet. Interested in reading other responses.
I am too. I accidentally posted this question twice.

Me DH, DD20, DS18, DD12 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Patience
DIS Veteran

We'll be checking into POP on Sunday and we are bringing our own mini fridge. They were selling them at Walmart this summer for $57, cheaper than we could rent one for our 6 night stay. We are bringing bottled water, juice boxes, Horizon milk boxes and diet soda to stash in the fridge so we won't be buying the mugs (we upgraded from free QS dining to basic DDP so no mugs unless we buy them).
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Values are the only resorts without the in-room mini-fridge, unless you need them for medicine, or pay a daily fee.

Each food court has a microwave and a toaster. I would recommend using those appliances there. What are you planning to use the microwave for?
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

We are planning on staying at a value and I was lucky enough to be family of the day on my last visit and getting a free fridge. It would just be nice to not have to run. Down to the food court to toast a pop tart or waffle. We are very frugal when it comes to eating at the World. I was just curios if other travelers have done this same thing. Thank you for your responses!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
Kimberle
WL Vet

Microwaves/(cooking) are not allowed in rooms. If you choose to follow the rules, there are toasters and microwaves in the food court areas that you can use.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
trac96
DIS Veteran

I have never done this but I would consider it if I were driving. I don't know that I would need a microwave as much as the fridge and a toaster. Just try to always unplug the toaster when you leave in the morning. I don't see it being a big deal.
trac96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
Values are the only resorts without the in-room mini-fridge, unless you need them for medicine, or pay a daily fee.

Each food court has a microwave and a toaster. I would recommend using those appliances there. What are you planning to use the microwave for?
It makes no sense that people paying less money, for a value resort, get an appliance that everyone wants in their room. Its crazy infact.

I certainly wont be packing my fridge in my hand luggage from the UK so no doubt Ill have to pay extra to hire one.

I do need one for medication, and did someone mention that is provided for free?? If so, who do I need to contact? My injections need to be refrigerated at all times.
disneymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

We haven't yet but will be in a few weeks and then again in January. Just the mini-fridge, not a microwave since I rarely use that appliance anyway. We want the fridge for the Food & Wine offerings we want to have the next day and then in January, for the leftovers I know we will have with our grandkids. We are also taking coolers for drinks since the fridge isn't that big. The fridge is for things that will spoil quickly. It's difficult to keep things cool enough like that for a week long stay.
disnut8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymadness View Post
It makes no sense that people paying less money, for a value resort, get an appliance that everyone wants in their room. Its crazy infact.

I certainly wont be packing my fridge in my hand luggage from the UK so no doubt Ill have to pay extra to hire one.

I do need one for medication, and did someone mention that is provided for free?? If so, who do I need to contact? My injections need to be refrigerated at all times.
I agree. We are paying lots of money for our value resort. Not so much a value anymore. I believe that you just have to contact your resort for the medication issue, and yes, they are free for medicinal purposes.
I will not be breaking any rules. No micro or toaster, but for sure the fridge. If the cost to buy is cheaper than the rental cost.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Microwaves/(cooking) are not allowed in rooms. If you choose to follow the rules, there are toasters and microwaves in the food court areas that you can use.
I'm not sure microwaves are banned in all Disney rooms. I know that if you read the room descriptions on Disney's website for some of the deluxe resorts (BC standard room, for example) it says microwaves are available upon request. I've never asked for one myself, but they must allow them in some rooms unless they've changed their policy so recently they haven't updated their website yet.

Personally, if the OP wants to bring one, then I think they should contact Disney directly and get the answer direct from them. I know in the old days, when you had to pay for a fridge at the mods and deluxes, I would bring my own and no one said a word. But microwaves are a bit bulky to me, so if I'm not in a room with one in it, I do without. Plus, you wouldn't know if the circuits can handle a fridge and a microwave - especially since there are so few electric outlets in most Disney rooms.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
Grumpy's Gal
Of course, who wants to get gold lame' undies from a stranger? NOT ME!
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states

I thought I read something a while back that said the values were getting fridges in 2012-- anyone know?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Remember, this is all about the fire code and its restrictions and personal liability.

Microwaves are available first come, first serve, but they are provided by Disney. Disney can verify they are in working order and do not present a fire hazard. If something did happen, they have insurance to cover it.

Deluxes that do have toasters, microwaves, etc. also are provided by Disney and can be verified as to their working order.

Disney cannot verify or stand by appliances that are brought in by guests, therefore they are NOT allowed.

And if there was a fire and there was damage, and it was found to come from your appliance in your room, you could be held liable for any damage or anyone who might be injured as of a result of that fire.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: