Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Summer143
Earning My Ears

Only for moms who have/had colicky babies!! (or have any experience with colic)

Hi!!! After posting a few questions asking for different parenting advice, I have come to the realization that I'm playing a whole different ball game lol My 3.5 daughter was extremely colicky, and just seems to be growing out of it now. After literally exhausting all efforts trying to figure out the reason and trying what seems like a million different things to make things better (some of which seemed to), it seems like time was all that was needed. Now here is my dilemma. Although the colic seems to be over, the aftermath of the colic is still there. We are left with a 3.5 month old baby with what seems like no eating or sleeping schedule (everything is done on demand because that's just how it had to be) so my days are extremely unorganized. My daughter also loves to be held all the time, to sleep on my chest for all naps because that was the only way she would sleep during her colicky period, so she got used to that, and is just overall extremely clingy. Finally, another huge problem we have (which I posted another question about), is that she cries when anyone holds her or we go anywhere and doesn't even fall asleep in the carseat! I believe this has to do with the fact that during her colicky period we were always home and rarely saw anyone. I made the mistake of isolating myself big time. She went from crying what seemed like all day to every evening from 5 to 9, so it made it really hard to go out or have guests. These days, she is a great baby at home, rarely cries, smiles all the time, is very playful and loves to interact, but god forbid anyone besides me holds her or we try to go anywhere I feel like she is a much easier baby now, but now it's hard trying to get life back to normal after all that we went through. I have to admit, the colic situation really contributed to the depression I went through after baby as well.

For those moms who have/had colicky babies, how did you get through it, and how did you get life back to normal afterwards??? Did you get your baby on a sleeping and eating schedule or did you continue to do things on demand until they got into their own routine?? How did your baby act when they were out or held by others after they got through the colic??? Did anybody have the same issues that I described?? Finally, when did your life seem to get back to normal?? Any advice or similar stories would help immensely. I need to get some organization going since I haven't been able to do proper housework in 3 months!!! lol I wouldn't wish colic on my worst enemy, I feel like I was robbed of many happy moments with my beautiful beautiful baby girl because of it!!!!
Summer143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Ds14 had reflux, and just was a miserable baby. I ferberized him (CIO) for naps and sleeping through the night. I did it pretty late - 6 months - but it only took a couple of days, and then BLISS. He was always my best sleeper after that.

And, after going from catnaps to real sleep, he was no longer such a miserable baby!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

The usual disclaimers (every baby is different, etc etc) apply:

My sister was incredibly colicky and she had post-colic behaviors similar to what you describe. One thing my mother said she regretted doing was "giving in" th the crying when someone else held her, etc because she felt she taught the baby that if she cries, she automatically get what she wants. My mother was very tied to my sister because she wanted and got, then grew to expect/demand, that her only interaction was with my mother.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Your life goes back to normal and then you have another one.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Summer143
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Your life goes back to normal and then you have another one.
loool!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Summer143
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Ds14 had reflux, and just was a miserable baby. I ferberized him (CIO) for naps and sleeping through the night. I did it pretty late - 6 months - but it only took a couple of days, and then BLISS. He was always my best sleeper after that.

And, after going from catnaps to real sleep, he was no longer such a miserable baby!
My baby sleeps well at night and takes great naps!!! 3 sometimes four hours! The only problem is I have to be holding her the entire nap . Needless to say, I watch a lot of shows and do many things with one hand
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

My youngest was very colicky. Actually she cried all the time, the only time she wouldn't was when I was carrying her around the house, so I could never just sit down and hold her. Since my first was such an easy baby, this was a complete shock to me. And though now she is 3, she is still very high-maintenance. She has to have her voice heard, is very demanding, and will not take no for an answer. What keeps me going is the hope that those characteristics will make her very successful when she enters the workforce.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

OP- Congrats on your baby!

I just wanted to say that I was fortunate not to have a baby who had colic but I did want to offer some thoughts.
What you are describing is imo normal baby behavior. Eating on demand is usually how babies eat. All of mine did. They eat when they are hungry. They do outgrow this and you will notice that it happens at only certain times of the day.
Also, I held all my kids all the time. The time you get to do that is so short. Enjoy it. The house can wait. I really mean this. You cannot spoil a baby by holding them. Now before anyone starts flaming saying that the baby will never learn to sleep on their own etc. I am calling bull on that. Kids do transition into their own beds for naps/nighttime. Some need more cuddling. Is that really such a bad thing?
Oh- and none of my children wanted to be held by family members when they were infants. They might have tolerated it for a little bit but after that it was Mommy they wanted. I didn't mind. They outgrew it. They love their family members and are happy to spend time with them whenever they can.

Don't worry about all the small stuff. Just be. Meaning just enjoy each moment. It will all come together eventually.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Summer143
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
OP- Congrats on your baby!

I just wanted to say that I was fortunate not to have a baby who had colic but I did want to offer some thoughts.
What you are describing is imo normal baby behavior. Eating on demand is usually how babies eat. All of mine did. They eat when they are hungry. They do outgrow this and you will notice that it happens at only certain times of the day.
Also, I held all my kids all the time. The time you get to do that is so short. Enjoy it. The house can wait. I really mean this. You cannot spoil a baby by holding them. Now before anyone starts flaming saying that the baby will never learn to sleep on their own etc. I am calling bull on that. Kids do transition into their own beds for naps/nighttime. Some need more cuddling. Is that really such a bad thing?
Oh- and none of my children wanted to be held by family members when they were infants. They might have tolerated it for a little bit but after that it was Mommy they wanted. I didn't mind. They outgrew it. They love their family members and are happy to spend time with them whenever they can.

Don't worry about all the small stuff. Just be. Meaning just enjoy each moment. It will all come together eventually.
thank you for this post, it made me feel better!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

DD#1 was a colicky baby. DD#2 (born less than a year later) was also a colicky baby.

I rocked DD#1 to sleep every night until she was 3 years old. She slept on my chest until she was so heavy I couldn't breath. She never learned to crawl, so when I would leave the room she would scream until I came back. I brought her to a home day care when she was 4 months old, and she refused to eat and screamed all morning until I had my in-laws go pick her up. Fun times - NOT.

DD#2 ended up liking her swing, and when she outgrew the infant swing, we hung a swing on the front porch where she would swing for hours. She did like to sleep in the car, though, so we would take her for rides when things got bad.

I always envied the parents who had easy, go with the flow babies. Mine were just not like that. What helped me through it was a lot of help. DH was/is a great dad, and his parents helped us a lot too. And in the end it was really just a matter of time.

I know it is frustrating for you now, but time will pass by pretty quickly. You and your DD will get the hang of it, and someday this will all be just a memory (a bad one, I know). In the mean time, talk to her pediatrician and see if she has any suggestions. Has she been evaluated for reflux? Are you breast-feeding? If so, try eliminating some things from your diet to see if that helps. If you are bottle feeding, perhaps a change in formula would help.

13 years later, life still hasn't gotten back to normal. My house is a disaster and some days I am lucky to get through the day without having a melt down. But my DDs are the best things that have ever happened to me, and I would not trade a day with them for the world. They sleep fine, they talk to other people, they do well in school and activities, they aren't joined to me by the hip. Enjoy every precious moment.

eta - DD#1's first Christmas was a blur for me. We traveled to NC to visit my parents, and I swear she screamed the entire time. All the pictures show her with red, puffy eyes. I found out on New Year's Day that I was expecting DD#2 - which might explain why she was so fussy (I guess my milk supply may have changed).

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer143 View Post
My baby sleeps well at night and takes great naps!!! 3 sometimes four hours! The only problem is I have to be holding her the entire nap . Needless to say, I watch a lot of shows and do many things with one hand
Lucky! :P
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
ncmickeyluvr
darn. I really like being right...maybe next time
What? You don't think shivering is exercise?

I found myself in the same position when my dd was a baby. She is about to turn 13. She was very colicky and got into the habit of being held all the time....especially when she napped. She slept alone at night but had to be rocked to sleep, even if she woke in the night. This went on until she was nearly 2 1/2 and ds was born. I finally let her cry it out and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

When ds was born, I forbid anyone to hold him while he slept!! I just couldn't do it again. We were all much happier.

I am not 34 weeks with my 3rd. If he is like his sister, I will definitely not hesitate to sleep train him early on. I know that it might seem hard at first but I think that it really is better for the baby and Mom.

Baby's First Birthday trip at Pop January 2014
Quick trip to Pop Century! October 2012
Port Orleans French Quarter November 2011 DD's 12th Birthday and first MVMCP!
Port Orleans French Quarter September 2010
Port Orleans French Quarter September 2009 Bounceback w/ Free Dining!
Port Orleans French Quarter October 2008
All Star Music November 2006
ncmickeyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

DD#1 was colicky, fussy & a non-sleeper unless held also. I thought I would lose my mind from sleep deprivation & never, ever experience a time in life when I did not smell of spit up, was wearing spit up, was cleaning up spit up, launder more clothing & blankets from spit up or be blissfully free of a crying child. We tried it all & were endlessly told we were nervous first-time parents. Several years down the road (yes, we did survive) I finally realized she has reflux, that was her issue all along -- & still gets the better of her if she eats the wrong thing or eats too late. She's a freshman in college. I wasn't a nervous first-time parent, just sleep deprived.

I'll never forget standing over the bassinette when we brought her sister home four years later, yep, a four-year gap because it was a long haul w/ #1 & sleep. DH & I could not believe standing there after putting baby #2 down to sleep, watch her squirming and grunting to get comfy and then --- falling sound asleep! We had serious doubts babies were actually equipped to do that, but it did happen.

You'll make it through OP. A lot of the time it might not be exactly pretty, but you will make it.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

My first one was a big, fat crybaby! No fun at all. All he did was cry and eat for the first 6 months. It made it very hard for me to tolerate. He was a very high maintenance child and wanted to be held all the time. I felt like I must be doing everything wrong because I just could not make this child happy. He didn't get over himself until he was about 6-7 months old and even then, he wasn't a very happy child until he hit 2yrs old. I used to say that my baby went through the terrible 2s FIRST. It took DS 15 months to learn to sleep through the night! I was so sleep deprived it made me ill.

I learned a lot with that first child. I did things differently with the second one. For starters, I got myself a baby sling and wore her about 12 hours per day--that really settled her down. Rather than nursing her to sleep(which I'll admit, is a delightful feeling but it comes back to bite you), I nursed her until she was drowsy, then moved her to her crib. She usually cried hard for about 30 seconds, then fell asleep so quick you'd think she fainted. Wish I had done that the first time around! My third child has severe developmental delays, so his situation was totally different. He required special handling due to being failure to thrive and I had to really work at getting him bonded with me. He never cried to be fed, so I had to put him on a schedule. But if someone walked through the room, or the breeze ruffled his hair, or the shades were raised he would scream like someone was skinning him alive. He needed a LOT of holding and carrying ad gave very little in return. Not a fun baby at all.

I have to tell you, my oldest child is still pretty high strung at 26. He is personally rather disorganized. DS has learning disabilities and anxiety, among other things. Christian, 17, turned out really well. He learned to organize himself somewhat and he has the most pleasant, friendly, easy-going personality despite his severe disabilities. DD19 also is very self-regulated. I attribute the differences to personalities, but also to the fact that I learned some things from experience. A lot of people are strongly against letting babies cry, but I found that a little bit of crying wasn't a bad thing. I'm not in favor of letting a baby scream for an hour, but there isn't anything wrong with letting them go for 4-5 min, if necessary. My opinion, of course. YMMV

I wish you the best. It's really hard when your baby starts out so colicky. Hopefully, it will get better soon. My oldest seemed to improve once he became a little bit mobile and had something to do all day besides whine and cry.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

My 3rd baby, my 2nd dd was my colicky baby. Ugh..miserable time. Her older siblings were the easiest babies ever. No sleep issues, if they cried they were hungry or need changed.

I can only tell you that I discovered over time that my dd learned that when she cried I would be there to hold her. I was convinced that crying made the colic worse. So, if she cried, I held her. She slept in my bed, because honestly it was the only way we were getting a few hours sleep. We were both exhausted.

I had to let her start crying it out a little at a time. I could distinguish by 3 months what was an attention seeking cry and what was a pain cry. If it was attention, she was let to cry a bit before I picked her up. As she became more mobile it was a lot easier. I think by 6/7 months you will have an easier time with that. My dd also loved her swing and by 6 months was able to sit easily in a walker. With toys. I would let her cry it out if I knew it had more to do with she didn't want to be by herself. It was the only way I got anything done.

I hope that you are able to find the solution that is best for your little one. Its a difficult time for sure! My dd is mom now, who has two of the sweetest little boys. Yes, she was always a more challenging child. I don't think I left her with the sitter very often before a year and even then my mom would watch her. Before that I worried about her to much. She could cry for hours and I wasn't sure someone who didn't love her like I did could handle it!

Kelly

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: