Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Will a scooter fit in a standard room?

FIL just had knee surgery and plans to rent a scooter to get around. He doesn't need an HA room and doesn't want to take it away from someone who really needs it. Just wondering if they will have a problem trying to fit the scooter in a non HA room.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
FIL just had knee surgery and plans to rent a scooter to get around. He doesn't need an HA room and doesn't want to take it away from someone who really needs it. Just wondering if they will have a problem trying to fit the scooter in a non HA room.
The doorways of all rooms are large enough for a scooter to drive into the room.

The handicapped accessible rooms are no larger than 'regular' rooms in most cases. The ones with roll in showers are arranged differently - the bathroom is larger to allow room for a wheelchair or ECV to get into the bathroom. That space often comes by making the bedroom part of the room slightly smaller.

If he finds it tight, he can contact Housekeeping and they can move or remove furniture for him.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
The doorways of all rooms are large enough for a scooter to drive into the room.

The handicapped accessible rooms are no larger than 'regular' rooms in most cases. The ones with roll in showers are arranged differently - the bathroom is larger to allow room for a wheelchair or ECV to get into the bathroom. That space often comes by making the bedroom part of the room slightly smaller.

If he finds it tight, he can contact Housekeeping and they can move or remove furniture for him.
Thanks for the tip. I never would have thought about having them remove furniture. They wouldn't need the table and 2 chairs, so that's a great option.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 11-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

We fit 2 in a standard room at POFQ.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Piper
DIS Veteran

The same amount of space is allocated for both the HC and non HC rooms....the difference is usually that the bathroom is larger in the HC rooms. Sometimes, that takes space from the actual room the bed is in......so sometimes non HC rooms have more room to move around than the HC rooms. (Not the same on ships as the HC rooms have much more space plus the size door needed.)
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

We'll be at Pop, so he might need to have the table removed.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
momof5boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595
We'll be at Pop, so he might need to have the table removed.
We stayed at Pop in January , my DH used a scooter, absolutely no problem fitting the scooter in the room, we just moved one chair from the side of the table and pulled the scooter right next to it, easy access to the outlet to and the scooter was never in our way!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: