Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
nikki7680
Mouseketeer

Going Insane! GF, Poly or WL????? Help me Choose!

Booking Disney has never been this hard! We received a pretty good PIN code and we decided to stay Deluxe for our next trip which will be September 2013. We can do WL woods view for 7 nights for a really nice price! Or we can do 6 nights at GF for about $250 more. Or we can do Poly for 6 nights for $300 more than the GF price. It's all so frustrating because we really want monarail access but on the other hand, the cheapest of all three choices actually gives us an extra night in Disney! GF is a basic room category and Poly is a Lagoon View. We have never stayed at Poly or WL. We did stay at GF for our honeymoon and loved it but not sure if my DS8 and DS5 will like it. Deep down I have always wanted to try the Poly but won't I get the same experience at GF and save some $$$? I need to pick something soon or else I am going to drive myself nuts! Any insight you guys can give is already appreciated! Thanks!!!

Take Me To My Happy Place! September 2014 PTR
nikki7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Lisann
Mouseketeer

I've been to all three. It's difficult to do WL after staying at Poly or GF.

I think the kids will enjoy Poly or WL. I'm assuming you have time to get a standard view for the Poly, instead of the more expensive lagoon view, if you want?

Since you've done GF, I would try WL or Poly.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

I am biased because we absolutely LOVE WL, but we would save the money and stay there.

I know you'll get all kinds of feedback of varying helpfullness, but a few things to consider are:
Plusses of WL:

WL also has bus service to Epcot, which the others do not. We found it to be a fast (although not as much fun) way to go.

WL is all under one roof, in one building which we really enjoyed, especially in the rain.

WL has a quiet secluded feel, while physically being quite close to the others and MK.

For Monorail access you can still take the boat to Contemporary (see below)

Minuses of WL:

For monorail access you can take the resort loop boat to the Contemporary. It is definitely not like having the monorail in the lobby, but it adds about 15-20 minutes travel time from your room.

The rooms are smaller than the others.

Quick service restaurant has small eating area that gets crowded during busy times.

Sit down restaurant (WCC) is too rowdy for some adults.

Our choice was to do a Standard view room at WL and save even more money, but that's just us. Overall they are all Disney Deluxe and you should have a wonderful time staying in a beautiful resort.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Personally, we've done all three... Poly back when the rates were not so ridiculous even with a good discount, GF was not a hit for us and thought you didn't mention the CR, back in the late 70's and 80's it was our favorite resort, until they made alot of changes that turned us away...

We discovered the WL during the one trip we made to the GF and it was a hit... Couldn't switch from GF to WL, was their opening year but swore we'd return to it next visit.... we did and its been our home for over 12 trips.... Don't care about the other resorts, we have stated in a majority of them and nothing feels as good as the WL...when something works and you're at ease and enjoying it...why mess with it... The grass is never greener elsewhere ...

Plus we would take the boat over the monorail any day...I've never stood on a boat but have on the monorail... I think it's overrated... I'd take the savings from the monorail resorts, stay at the WL extra days... Nothing beats more time in Disney.

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
NNPMom
Disney Princess Since 1973

Team Grand Floridian

Here's a vote for GF. We have kids now ranging 10-18 but they were 1-8 when we started going. They call it their home at Disney. We have never felt like it wasn't kid friendly. There are lots of kid activities there you cannot find other places like pirate adventure and cupcake decorating, and a fun pool. You can see fireworks from the courtyard, and get boats, etc. monorail and boat access to MK, as well as walking distance to Poly and TTC if you want. The Mouseketeer club babysitting was fine for us to get a nice dinner at one of the great restaurants there, and two character experiences there too. I say go for it, you will not be sorry!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

We haven't stayed at WL, but I definitely vote for the Poly. My kids love it. The monorail was such a great help with getting around. The food is great! The movie (and water parade) from the beach were major pluses for us.
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
padawans
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at Wl and Poly. I would defenitely do Poly and then keep calling back to see if a GV becomes available. Wl is nice, but the transportation options are not that great. There is are also very few choices for dining. I found the boat to CR or Mk to very time consuming. The monorail is much faster, and I can't remember ever having to stand on the monorail. They are both great choices, but given a choice I would go with Poly.
padawans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNPMom View Post
Here's a vote for GF. We have kids now ranging 10-18 but they were 1-8 when we started going. They call it their home at Disney. We have never felt like it wasn't kid friendly. There are lots of kid activities there you cannot find other places like pirate adventure and cupcake decorating, and a fun pool. You can see fireworks from the courtyard, and get boats, etc. monorail and boat access to MK, as well as walking distance to Poly and TTC if you want. The Mouseketeer club babysitting was fine for us to get a nice dinner at one of the great restaurants there, and two character experiences there too. I say go for it, you will not be sorry!
Agreed!! Love GF and so do the kiddies.
I can't wait until we will be back there in Sept!
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Eliserose
Mouseketeer

Have you gotten a rate for Poly garden view? We just got back. We had a gv in Tokelau and it was really nice (and cheaper than LV).
Eliserose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki7680 View Post
Booking Disney has never been this hard! We received a pretty good PIN code and we decided to stay Deluxe for our next trip which will be September 2013. We can do WL woods view for 7 nights for a really nice price! Or we can do 6 nights at GF for about $250 more. Or we can do Poly for 6 nights for $300 more than the GF price. It's all so frustrating because we really want monarail access but on the other hand, the cheapest of all three choices actually gives us an extra night in Disney! GF is a basic room category and Poly is a Lagoon View. We have never stayed at Poly or WL. We did stay at GF for our honeymoon and loved it but not sure if my DS8 and DS5 will like it. Deep down I have always wanted to try the Poly but won't I get the same experience at GF and save some $$$? I need to pick something soon or else I am going to drive myself nuts! Any insight you guys can give is already appreciated! Thanks!!!
I would choose which ever theme is most appealing to you.
I personally do not care for the Poly's theming ... visited it many times but have never stayed there. I also didn't really care too much for the basic room category at the GF ... Love the GF but for me, it's RPC only from now on. Which leaves my favorite, the WL, which gives you that extra night

Last edited by elaw; 10-12-2012 at 06:57 PM.
elaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I agree that you should choose the theme that appeals to you most. Personally I really like the Poly, but the price makes me cranky
The Wilderness Lodge is beautiful and if it gives you an extra day that would be my pick
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

I think all three of the resorts you mentioned are very nice but I will admit that I am partial to the WL. But with that said, you mentioned the GF and the Poly were more expensive for a 6 day visit than staying at the WL for 7 days. With that alone I would have to say WL without a doubt. The location is excellent, and the transportation even without a mono rail is still very good. And to top it off, you get another day to enjoy WDW for a few dollars less. That is what I call a win, win situation.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki7680 View Post
Another vote for the Poly! The Poly is so wonderful! It's convienent to MK and it's a short walk to TTC to catch the monorail to EPCOT. It's so nice to be able to watch the MK fireworks from the beach. The entire resort has such a great tropical feel and you leave there feeling so relaxed. The experience at the GF will be totally different! Something that may help you decide is to look at the theming and decide which theme you would prefer.
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. AKL stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

For the monorail and the better amenities, I would go GF on this one. If Poly's price had come in a little lower, I probably would have voted for Poly, but for $300 less, GF!! If you really want Poly, see if you can get a standard there to save some $$. We stayed in Fiji a few years ago and LOVED our garden view room (now called standard room).

I'm not a big WL fan - don't like the transportation or the dining options.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

As others have said, going with the one that the theme/decor appeals to you the most would probably be the best solution. We've stayed at all 3 and while we don't usually pay for views, the Poly is our favorite resort and that would be my choice (even though it is the most expensive). I agree with padawans that I would book the LV and keep checking to see if a GV becomes available. All 3 resorts are beautiful and all have great transportation options (IMO), but we just love the tropical atmosphere of the Poly and it's hard to beat having the beach for watching the fireworks, being just 2 monorail stops from MK, and being within walking distance to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. With all of that said, you really can't go wrong with any of them as they are all fabulous places to stay. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: