Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
BeckyEsq
Mouseketeer.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

You ARE a person, and one with her whole future ahead of her. IT DOES GET BETTER. Picture yourself in the future happier and healthier. You will get there.

Your mother loves you but she obviously doesn't know how to help you. If your doctor is recommending a course of treatment, please seek it. Do you have health insurance that will allow you to see a therapist? It might really help you to have someone to talk to.

Sometimes there is no easy answer. Sometimes people do need medication to feel better and do what they need to do to heal themselves. Please hang in there.
DisneyLand 6/05
Wilderness Lodge 8/06
Port Orleans Riverside 8/13
*now planning* POR Royal Guest Room 8/14

Is She Ready To Be A Princess? August 2013 Trip Report
BeckyEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEsq
I am so sorry you are going through this.

You ARE a person, and one with her whole future ahead of her. IT DOES GET BETTER. Picture yourself in the future happier and healthier. You will get there.

Your mother loves you but she obviously doesn't know how to help you. If your doctor is recommending a course of treatment, please seek it. Do you have health insurance that will allow you to see a therapist? It might really help you to have someone to talk to.

Sometimes there is no easy answer. Sometimes people do need medication to feel better and do what they need to do to heal themselves. Please hang in there.
Thanks. I am on prestiq. Just started today. He said there might be something wrong with the thyroid so they took blood... but I am not putting any hope in this cuz we ran the thyroid test a yr ago and nothing was wrong. but sometimes I hope it is so that it can be cured.

I am seeing therapist but she isn't really helping.
Is anybody on prestiq here?

Check out my 2014 Pre-Trip Report
Wish It Was May

Check me out on Pinterest!
Luv0fDisney's Pinterest

Luv0fDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Honey, a lot of physical things can be hard to figure out. And they do affect us emotionally. I've seen too many others go through the same thing.

Are there any teaching hospitals near you? If so, ask for a referral there. Student doctors sometimes see things that the seasoned old docs overlook. Also, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. They are the ones trained to understand thyroid issues. Most family doctors just don't get it. My sister was in desperate straits before they finally figured out that she had thyroid problems.

Also, thyroid numbers need to be checked at several weekly intervals to get an accurate reading. My sister and my daughter have both had to deal with that. Some doctors seem to think one round of blood work is enough, but really it is necessary to get the numbers watched for at least a month (one full monthly cycle for a woman) to get the complete picture.

Keep coming here and talking to us, it is good to express yourself.

You mentioned your weight, so I know this bothers you. Can you join a weight-loss group and attend meetings? Getting out, meeting people, and having a goal can do a whole lot to lift a person's spirits. Plus you would be doing something good for yourself. I'm preaching to the choir here because I weighed what you weigh just a few months ago. Having the outside voices of encouragement have meant a lot to me.

Last edited by pwdebbie; 10-16-2012 at 02:26 PM.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
Thanks. I am on prestiq. Just started today. He said there might be something wrong with the thyroid so they took blood... but I am not putting any hope in this cuz we ran the thyroid test a yr ago and nothing was wrong. but sometimes I hope it is so that it can be cured.

I am seeing therapist but she isn't really helping.
Is anybody on prestiq here?
I would suggest if there is anything abnormal on your thyroid results that you see an endocrinologist (actually I recommend seeing one so that you can be sure that the correct panel is run --some doctors only run the basics when you need a bit more data to identify some thyroid issues). The thyroid is an incredibly powerful thing --- it will affect weight, body temperature, moods, appetite, heart rate and much more. I am hyperthyroid with Graves Disease and sometimes it does feel as if it defines you especially if it limits you. Regardless of what the issue is please do continue to seek help for yourself wherever possible. ((HUGS))
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

I just wish my mom would stop this attitude where if anybody has a different opinion they are idiots. my mom doesn't understand that heavier people can have friends.

Wish It Was May

Luv0fDisney's Pinterest

Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
MomiTo2SwtGuys
DIS Veteran

I'm praying for you. I hope things get better.

MomiTo2SwtGuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Stop listening to your mum.......you know she's wrong, so learn to let it go. When you learn to say 'whatever' you can face up to most things. You need to get some interests that are outside her sphere of influence.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

everything gets on my nerves.
we used to be close but I don't know what happened. Its like we are two different people now. I know I have changed in the brain cuz life isn't one big happy family. it's like all dark and gloomy for me. even Disney World at this moment. my mom watches those murder mystery shows and they just get on my nerves.

I wish she would not watch them. I can't move out because of everything I am going through. She and my dad treat me differently then they do my brother.
I can't go on a trip by myself because my brother got stranded in vermont. i am not my brother.

Wish It Was May

Luv0fDisney's Pinterest

Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
ctl
Mouseketeer

There are other things you can also do

It will take time for the Pristiq to take effect. If the therapist you are seeing is not helping enough at this point, then you need to change and see someone who works better for you. Also, if you can exercise it actually helps your body produce endorphins (I understand you may have issues with your joints, but swimming will really help and the pressure on your joints is reduced by the support of the water). A daily 30-45 minutes will make a huge difference in your attitude about yourself. Also there is a book by David D. Burns MD "Feeling Good". It is a great book where you can use the daily exercises to change the way you think about yourself so that you give yourself a chance to feel better. If you can find a support group locally join one. Getting out of the house and spending time with others will be difficult at first, but it will help in the long run. The test results should tell you whether your health issues are linked to your thyroid or not. Weight issues are obviously not the only issues in your life, you seem to be suffering from clinical depression. When your hormones are not in balance it can cause depression and weight gain. If the issues can be traced to your thyroid then over time the hormone imbalance can be addressed. For now it is good that you have reached out for help. I would make sure that your other appointments with medical providers are private and that your mother is not in the room for them. She loves you and there will be a time when she can help, but it doesn't seem to be right now. Know that you always have friends to reach out to on the boards. Hang in there.

Last edited by ctl; 10-16-2012 at 07:37 PM.
ctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #25
disneygal2007
He's my Soldier and I am his Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
Its hard because my mom just blames all the aches and pains on me being over weight and she doesn't think medication ever helps. It's sad and irritates me into being sooooo freaking angry it's not even funny any more.

All she says is "take advil" it does nothing for me. I took over 6 advils yesterday and it does absolutely nothing.
I have nothing in my head. Every time I get an idea my mom puts me down like i can't take a laptop to wdw ebcause she says it will get stolen from our room.
she drives me insane but i don't know how to live on my own. i have no friends nobody. My mind is black like I don't even have a brain any more like it's empty all the time.
i don't like anything any more because stupid people/companies and have to change things. I don't adjust to change easiuly as the next person, i get attach to something
and if it changes I go balistic cuz it's extremely hard to find something i like. like it doesn't exist. Happiness doesn't exist any more. My mom used to be my favorite person in the world but now she is just a big pain in the butt
Hunny please seek help. Don't let anyone including your mother make you feel less then. You seem really depressed and there is help out there for you. Hugs to you.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

I just feel angry most of the time, and aggitated in the head.

Wish It Was May

Luv0fDisney's Pinterest

Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

I agree with everyone here.

You are MORE than a person, we all are.. I am not sure of your age, but I would definitely see the Dr. ALONE. This is a personal appointment, and most are not as candid with their mother there.

My heart goes out to you not getting the support you need from her. As a mother myself, it is heartbreaking. Have you had an open heart to heart with her about it? Letting her know how much she hurts you?

Age and size to me are just numbers. We are the person we are. You can be 20 years old or 88, 100 pounds or 600. That doesn't have an inch of reflection as to who we are. I agree with others about an endo. The thyroid has such an affect on our bodies..

I am sending you the most loving hugs and often think about you throughout the day.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #28
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

I agree with the others about talking to the doctor alone.

I read on your pretrip report you are a graduate from college, that means you are of a legal age to talk to the doctor by yourself. You need to open up to the doctor about all these feelings you are having. Did you tell them that you felt like dying and all the other feelings you are having? That would make the choice of the proper medications a lot easier.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #29
Aidan's Mommy
Mouseketeer

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt, This is My Story

Don't let your mom treat you this way. I'm sure you love your mom a lot, but that still gives her no right to treat you this way. You need to tell her that it's unacceptable.

Is there anything that YOU like to do? Something that you can do with an end/measurable goal that is attainable? A sense of accomplishment can work wonders for a person's self confidence.

Something you also may want to look into is taking Vitamin D. I don't usually push vitamins or pills but in my experience, it has helped me a TON! Last winter, I was having pain in my arms and legs all of the time, exhausted, depressed, heart palpitations, loss of interest in everything. My doctor checked my thyroid which was normal...also checked my vitamin d level which was severely low. He put me on a prescribed dose of 8,000 iU's for 2 weeks and then taper down to 4,000 iU's a day since then and EVERYTHING has improved! I completely scoffed at him when he told me about it but he made a believer out of me.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #30
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Dear OP,

You were not brought to this life by happen chance. Your life has purpose, meaning and you are LOVED so much by the one that created you. It pains me so much to hear you hurting. We all go through times where it is difficult to just put one foot in front of the other and it sounds like this is where you are right now. Try not to focus on the big picture but just one minute at a time. Maybe make a goal each day to find one positive thing or something to be thankful for in your day. It could be as simple as a green light, the signs of fall or the kind words of the posters here. You can build on that each day until you find a new therapist to talk to. I am making a commitment to pray for you daily starting right now.

If you have the desire download: The Hurt and the Healer by Mercy Me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: