DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Night Vision at AKL--Now A Charge?

It used to be a nightly event to use the night vision binoculars at AKL. Is this new "safari" a way to charge $70 for what used to be free?
Night Safari: This nighttime safari is only available for guests staying at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge and must be booked via the concierge. Guests will use night vision goggles to search out the animals on the Sunset Savanna.

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
It used to be a nightly event to use the night vision binoculars at AKL. Is this new "safari" a way to charge $70 for what used to be free?
Night Safari: This nighttime safari is only available for guests staying at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge and must be booked via the concierge. Guests will use night vision goggles to search out the animals on the Sunset Savanna.
This is something completely different. They still offer the night-vision animal viewing for free. You don't go in a safari vehicle though. You never did. You go out to one of the savanna viewing areas and use the goggles to view the animals.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

So is the only difference here that you go in a vehicle then..? We are currently booked for Wanyama (ouch $$$) but I dunno that I would switch if thats all there is...
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

sometimes people like to try it for the experience, but $70. not everyone would feel it justifies the cost, others yes.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
This is something completely different. They still offer the night-vision animal viewing for free. You don't go in a safari vehicle though. You never did. You go out to one of the savanna viewing areas and use the goggles to view the animals.
I know there is no entering the savanna with the free viewing (which I've done--and not seen a blessed animal LOL). But the description given of the $70 option doesn't really make clear that you do the viewing from a vehicle IN the savanna.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Can someone please tell me exactly where viewing with the night vision binocculars is held? I went once, about 6 years ago, and I can't remember the exact location. However, I do remember that at that time, there was a wait to use the binocculars. Then you weren't supposed to use them for too long, because others were waiting.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Can someone please tell me exactly where viewing with the night vision binocculars is held? I went once, about 6 years ago, and I can't remember the exact location. However, I do remember that at that time, there was a wait to use the binocculars. Then you weren't supposed to use them for too long, because others were waiting.
It's at Jambo House. The time I was there, it was too cold, so they used the "library" that's off the lobby. I believe that usually it's held at the flamingo area near the pool. But if you check at the front desk, they can tell you.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At Kidani it is by the fire pit. We have done it each trip to AKV and have seen many animals and never waited for the binoculars. I think it's more of a hidden gem at Kidani than it is at Jambo.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had the same experience in December 2010. And they only gave us one pair per family, then got annoyed when each of us actually wanted to use them! And saw NO animals whatsoever. (they were likely all cold and hiding somewhere warmer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
It's at Jambo House. The time I was there, it was too cold, so they used the "library" that's off the lobby. I believe that usually it's held at the flamingo area near the pool. But if you check at the front desk, they can tell you.
Oh if only they had done it like that the time we did it! So so so so cold.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

At one time, I thought Owners Locker was renting out the night vision goggles. That was a few years ago though, and I don't know if I'm remembering right.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Now I'm really confused. I always thought you could just go downstairs and check them out and take them back to your room. What did I miss? Did I imagine this?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
monorailmom
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Kidani in August..the first time we tried to do Night Vision Goggles, the weather was un-cooperative. The next time, the animals weren't 'cooperative', so they sent us to Jambo house.

This was a night we won't forget. There was no charge. We had a fabulous CM, whose name was J.T., who took an interest in our family (because we are a large family and he wasn't used to that!) and really made a great experience for us all. He told us all about his experiences in S. Africa working on the real savanna with real lions and giraffes, and the differences between that and the experiences in FL.

We were sure to stop by the front desk the next day and write up a card explaining our fantastic experience with this CM.

I would *highly* recommend this to anyone.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
At one time, I thought Owners Locker was renting out the night vision goggles. That was a few years ago though, and I don't know if I'm remembering right.
Last time i checked (about a year ago), they were not doing this.

January 1979 Offsite; January 1992 POR; March 1999Honeymoon ; May 2002 CBR; May 2008 Offsite; November 2008 CBR March 2009 DVC SSR, BCV; August 2009 DVC AKV,BCV; December 2009 DVC SSR; February 2010 DVC BCV; November 2010 DVC BWV; May 2011 POP; March 2012 DCL Dream and POP; May 2012 POP; April 2013 DVC BCV; November 2013 CSR; Yacht Club, DCL Dream and BWV May 2014
Hunclemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Is there a particular time for this.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Is there a particular time for this.
Night.
But seriously, it will be listed in the schedule.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: