Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

Convince me poly is worth it!!!

Just booked poly for two nights in March for 709 taxes in...will be travelling with 3 young DDs...so thought of monorail was enticing...am already wondering if I should splurge or just stay at AOA suite....the difference was only 110 dollars so wondering if now is the time to try deluxe?!?!?!?
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

I'm going to be the first to tell you to TOTALLY do it! Especially if the difference in money is that little. I haven't stayed at the Poly, but we did stay at the GF and I'll tell you, staying on the monorail, especially with little ones, is wonderful. Traveling to the parks is MUCH easier, in my opinion. You have the option of the boat or monorail, which is really great. When the monorail is busy, the boat usually is pretty quiet. If you need a break from the parks, you can hop the monorail and be back in your resort in no time. We loved it so much, we're staying there again next year.

You also have easy access to the MK, and all three monorail resorts to get to character meals, if you are going to do them. The Poly (I think) has better quick service than the GF does...sitting on the beach at night watching the fireworks...priceless. I know that when we went our DD (who was 4 1/2 at the time) was awestruck at the magic of Disney staying on the monorail. If you can do it, I would really suggest it.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Actually $709 sounds pretty good for POLY. We went XMAS week and it was that per night. Stay with POLY IMO.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
designermv
Disco Miniature Golfing Queen

The difference is so small, I'd definitely stick with the Poly. Three young kids + Monorail = EASY. You can watch the fireworks from the beach, you don't have to deal with buses, kids will love the pool, etc. It is so nice to just head to TTC or the GCH and hop on the monorail.
Polynesian, November 2011
Polynesian, November 2012
Polynesian CL, October 21-28 2013
Upcoming: Wilderness Lodge CL, October 11-18

R Noodle (9yrs) Peepers (4yrs)

designermv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Are you sure it's not an extra $110/night? Even then that's still a great deal!!! The $709 wouldn't cover 2 nights for us when we go in September. I will say, once you stay at the Poly, you will not want to stay anywhere else.

I say go for it!!!!! For $110 more, you can't beat that!!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
nanhol
Mouseketeer

Definitely do Poly at that price difference! You'll be so glad to be on the monorail and skipping buses for MK & Epcot. (Now, if you're headed to AK, HS or DTD you'll be riding buses, but there's not much to be done about that!)

Poly is such a fun resort--we loved exploring the beach, the GCH, watching the MK fireworks across the lagoon and the parade on the water at night. The volcano pool is really fun, and I loved the food there. Captain Cook's has Dole Whip all the time! Since you're staying there you may as well eat breakfast or dinner at Ohana, too! Everyone seems to love Kona Cafe, too...but I didn't make it when we stayed there. It sounds like AofA is a really fun resort, but both you and your kids will love Poly!
nanhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
princessap
DIS Veteran

thanks so much

you guys are making me really excited to stay here!!!!!
Which building should I request? when can I do that?

which restaurants are must do at Poly?? have chef mickeys booked but wondering if should enjoy all the poly has to offer
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanhol View Post
Definitely do Poly at that price difference! You'll be so glad to be on the monorail and skipping buses for MK & Epcot. (Now, if you're headed to AK, HS or DTD you'll be riding buses, but there's not much to be done about that!)

Poly is such a fun resort--we loved exploring the beach, the GCH, watching the MK fireworks across the lagoon and the parade on the water at night. The volcano pool is really fun, and I loved the food there. Captain Cook's has Dole Whip all the time! Since you're staying there you may as well eat breakfast or dinner at Ohana, too! Everyone seems to love Kona Cafe, too...but I didn't make it when we stayed there. It sounds like AofA is a really fun resort, but both you and your kids will love Poly!
thanks, it is just two nights and we are only doing MK one day...I convinced DH to add this on after spending a week in Clearwater visiting family
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyCrzy11 View Post
Are you sure it's not an extra $110/night? Even then that's still a great deal!!! The $709 wouldn't cover 2 nights for us when we go in September. I will say, once you stay at the Poly, you will not want to stay anywhere else.

I say go for it!!!!! For $110 more, you can't beat that!!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
AOA was 591 for two nights and poly was 709 for two nights....i thought with that little difference might be good time to try deluxe. I should mention this is our first time onsite after staying offsite twice!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
designermv
Disco Miniature Golfing Queen

If your girls like the pool, you can't go wrong with Samoa, ground floor, facing the pool. You'll have a little patio and you can just leave your room via the sliding doors and go right to the pool. It's also very close to the GCH and Captain Cook's.

We love 'Ohana but Kona Cafe is also wonderful. 'Ohana has a great character breakfast with Lilo and Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto.
Polynesian, November 2011
Polynesian, November 2012
Polynesian CL, October 21-28 2013
Upcoming: Wilderness Lodge CL, October 11-18

R Noodle (9yrs) Peepers (4yrs)

designermv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post

which restaurants are must do at Poly?? have chef mickeys booked but wondering if should enjoy all the poly has to offer
The Poly is an amazing resort!!!!! It's our favorite and we love it for so many reasons . The tropical atmosphere is beautiful and it's relaxing walking around at night under the lit tiki torches, the volcano pool is awesome with a distant view of the castle while swimming, Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals or snacks, and it's relaxing lying in a hammock on the beach watching the fireworks . We have had great stays at all of the resorts we've tried, but one of our best vacations was when we stayed at the Poly.

We stayed in Samoa and loved the location as it's just steps from the volcano/quiet pool, GCH, the beach, and Captain Cooks . If you haven't yet, I would look into booking Ohana for breakfast or dinner (or both ).

Have a great time as the Poly is amazing and is a vacation within a vacation for us .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

at a $110 difference, it's a no brainer. Pick the Poly.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap

AOA was 591 for two nights and poly was 709 for two nights....i thought with that little difference might be good time to try deluxe. I should mention this is our first time onsite after staying offsite twice!
Yes, definitely time!!!! Be sure to try Ohana's character breakfast! It's Mickey, Stitch, Lilo, and Pluto. Kona is also good!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post

Since you're right on the monorail loop....since you're going w/ 3 little girls, I would suggest doing either the breakfast or dinner at 1900 Park Fare at the GF. You can hop right on the monorail. Breakfast is Alice in Wonderland, the Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins Pooh and Tigger and dinner has Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and the Step Sisters. It's WONDERFUL and alot of fun!!!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
mouseketeermama
Mouseketeer

For a $110 difference, the Poly is without a doubt worth it! Be sure to watch Wishes from the beach one night!

Just a married to my raising our littleand tiny
mouseketeermama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: