Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #91
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I personally love this email. She praising your child and suggesting options. Nowhere do I see that she doesn't want to meet with you. I doubt that she is trying to get out of her job as someone said since I imagine that there are plenty of kids that need help.

I probably would have skipped myself. I would go to the "meet the teacher" nights in elementary school and that was it unless there was a special program or some situation that I wish to discuss.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #92
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
I understand that. My point, poorly stated, was that in our school district, all parents are allotted the same amount of time on conference day. If parents need more time, they are asked to make a separate appointment. The policy at your school might be different.

And for the record, it's not about having my ego stroked. I like to have one on one with the people that my kids spend their day with, and I exercise my right to do so.

June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #93
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

I would be grateful to receive that email. I just signed up for parent/teacher conferences yesterday. They are "mandatory" during the fall. The spring conferences are not. My children have been in school for 9 weeks. If there was a problem, I would expect to know about it by now. I would actually be annoyed to show up to a conference 9 weeks into school and find out that there has been a problem that I was not told. The teacher does a great job of sending all work home in a timely manner. The grades are posted on-line. Her teacher already mentioned that my DD was doing fine and she doesn't have any concerns, but the meeting is mandatory. So, I have to drive 20 minutes to the school, for a 15 minute meeting, to be told what I already know. Honestly, our school is small. We have the ability to talk to the teacher anytime after school that we need. If I questions, it is perfectly acceptable at our school to stop by the teacher's room before or after class. The conference, however, is a waste of my time and gas.
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
traviesojmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #94
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
We are always told this from day 1. Conferences are only for parents/teachers that have concerns about a student. If there are no concerns, no conference is necessary. I love it, as a parent. No need to find someone to watch my kids for 15 minutes while I talk to a teacher about something I already know.

I think it's a waste of time on both sides to schedule one when there is nothing to discuss. Save it for the kids who really need it..
There is always something to discuss imo. Just because a child gets good grades and is well behaved doesn't mean the parents don't have other questions. Every kid "really" needs it imo. Not just kids who are struggling. 15 minutes isn't going to take away from a child who is struggling just like their 15 minutes isn't going to take away from another child. JMHO.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #95
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
There is always something to discuss imo. Just because a child gets good grades and is well behaved doesn't mean the parents don't have other questions. Every kid "really" needs it imo. Not just kids who are struggling. 15 minutes isn't going to take away from a child who is struggling just like their 15 minutes isn't going to take away from another child. JMHO.
Can you give me an example of something you would discuss during a conference not related to behavior and grades that you couldn't discuss via email/phone during off hours? Not trying to be snarky, but I can't imagine what it could entail?

I chat with my kids teachers pretty frequently - via email, they call me if something comes up with one of them, etc.

I just chatted back and forth with ODS's teacher a few times via email today about AR books. If I have a question, I ask when I think of the question and then I get an answer within a few hours. So there really isn't anything to talk about at conferences if there is continual communication prior to the conferences.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #96
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
OUt teachers would simply send a note home stating this. My DS just came home last week and his English teacher said to talk to us about moving to AP English, we did and we called the registrar to let her know. All done, no need to go in and take up the teachers valuable time. One simple phone call an it was done.
Personal preference I guess. Sort of like at work, some of my co-workers will call someone who works 30 feet away (or email). I walk over and talk to them face to face. It certainly cuts the risk of misunderstanding, which is a huge problem with emails.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #97
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Can you give me an example of something you would discuss during a conference not related to behavior and grades that you couldn't discuss via email/phone during off hours? Not trying to be snarky, but I can't imagine what it could entail?

I chat with my kids teachers pretty frequently - via email, they call me if something comes up with one of them, etc.

I just chatted back and forth with ODS's teacher a few times via email today about AR books. If I have a question, I ask when I think of the question and then I get an answer within a few hours. So there really isn't anything to talk about at conferences if there is continual communication prior to the conferences.
Okay I understand what you are asking. Here they do not do email. I either have to call the school and leave a message with the secretaries or send in a note and hope to be home when they call. The one on one conference allows me to ask questions. What are they doing to challenge my child who is breezing through? Is my child social? Are they an outsider? (my kids have plenty of friends but I want to know the school dynamic) Do they raise their hand without prompting? Are they staring out the window? (bored) I want to see the setup of the classroom. I basically want to know that they "get" my child and they are not simply writing them off because they don't cause any problems and don't need help with the work. In the same way a child who is struggling needs help a child who is bored needs a challenge. I want to know if the teacher is up to the challenge herself/himself or are they just glad my child doesn't need their attention in the way that those that might be struggling do.

I hope I am coming across the right way. I just think that parents who have children who don't have issues have questions as well. I am entitled to my 15 minutes just like everyone else. I hate to use that word (entitled) but it is true.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #98
MM27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
: Me thinks the would rather be at home doing this instead of her job.

I usually do not tattle, but I wonder if the principal is aware of this teacher's policy and agrees with it.
That's the most ridiculous comment. Perhaps the teacher just doesn't want to waste everyone's time. If there is nothing to talk about, there is nothing to talk about. Unless the parent is just bored and wants to hear again how wonderful their child is

My school does three conference days. 2 days are 1:30-3:00 and one day is 6:30-8:00. That's 18 fifteen minute slots. I have 21 kids this year. So if there was someone that really didn't need to have a conference, I would be upfront with their parent. When I schedule conferences, I always give at least a 1/2 hour window for my more needy students. I know that I will have a lot to talk about with their parents and I give the extra time for just that. I don't need 1/2 an hour to tell someone that their child is progressing nicely or that they are a wonderful student.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #99
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hope I am coming across the right way. I just think that parents who have children who don't have issues have questions as well. I am entitled to my 15 minutes just like everyone else. I hate to use that word (entitled) but it is true.
Absolutely, you are entitled to speak with the teacher. I don't believe the teacher was insisting the parents whose children were progressing stay away. She was simply offering that option. A lot of parents are happy to avoid those mandatory conference sessions and use alternative methods to communicate with the teachers. Others want that formal meeting. Neither way is wrong, just different.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #100
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
Absolutely, you are entitled to speak with the teacher. I don't believe the teacher was insisting the parents whose children were progressing stay away. She was simply offering that option. A lot of parents are happy to avoid those mandatory conference sessions and use alternative methods to communicate with the teachers. Others want that formal meeting. Neither way is wrong, just different.
I think the first mention of not needing a conference was appropriate. The email was not. Clearly mom wants a conference and she deserves one just like every one else.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #101
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
We are always told this from day 1. Conferences are only for parents/teachers that have concerns about a student. If there are no concerns, no conference is necessary. I love it, as a parent. No need to find someone to watch my kids for 15 minutes while I talk to a teacher about something I already know.

I think it's a waste of time on both sides to schedule one when there is nothing to discuss. Save it for the kids who really need it..
....which is why it's SO IMPORTANT for parents to attend B-t-S Nite....I can't imagine not wanting to meeting the persons who spend more then half the time with their children....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #102
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Agree. Plus the fact that your child KNOWS that YOU are meeting with THEIR teacher means something to THEM.

Yes, I go in there and the teachers "love my dd". However guess what, there are questions I would like to ask. And there may be some things my dd wants ME to ask because she can't get a straight answer from the teacher due to whatever reason.

In addition, I agree with Erin1700. The initial email was appropriate, the follow up email berating parent for attending PT conference was way out of line.

IF I had something to discuss with the teacher I would expect that I should be treated with respect as a parent, not berated.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #103
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1700

I think the first mention of not needing a conference was appropriate. The email was not. Clearly mom wants a conference and she deserves one just like every one else.
OP here. This is my main point. She had already told us we had the option of a conference or not. At that point I signed up for one. She should not have sent that email knowing she had already told me and I had let her know I wanted the conference.

I have four kids, all have done well in school but I went to every conference for each child. Never before has a teacher practically discouraged me from attending a conference. Questions. always came up, comments that enlightened me either about the teacher or about m child.

We only have a fall conference for k-5, after that only if there is a problem. As a parent and educator myself, I feel these one time personal meetings are important. My kids know I am going and it means something to them.

BTW, I blacked out the teacher's name and asked my principal (I teach in four elementary school) what she thought of the email. She said she would not be happy of any of her teachers were trying to discourage ANY parent from attending a conference.

While I know dd is doing well and not causing trouble, I have questions. I want to be one on one with this teacher who does not have a very good reputation ( other teachers in the school confirmed that her reputation is well earned). Dd has mentioned no problems so for that I am thankful. I want to ask whether my daughter is on track for being recommended for advance math next year. I think she is but if teacher knows that we are interested in this for dd, then she will be looking more closely at dd's math ability. This is my 4th child so by now I know how things in our district work. I'd like to see samples of dd's work, writing. Teacher often comments that dd's writing is very sloppy. After having two boys with horrific handwriting, I'm surprised to see these comments each time. Not the most perfect girly handwriting but without a doubt legible.

A conference is not just for a teacher to tell you if your kid is wonderful or not. I am going to learn a bit more about the teacher, as I do every year. BTW, this will be my last parent teacher conference. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #104
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post

In addition, I agree with Erin1700. The initial email was appropriate, the follow up email berating parent for attending PT conference was way out of line.

IF I had something to discuss with the teacher I would expect that I should be treated with respect as a parent, not berated.
Berated??? First there was only one email according to OP.

Where in the email was the teacher berating the parent for wanting to come in? The email reiterated that OP's child was doing well, that there was no need for her to come to a face-to-face conference UNLESS the OP wanted to.

In no way could the teacher's communication be interpreted as a "berating."
You are reading waaaay to much into the message.

OP, maybe the teacher was just making sure that things were still status-quo since BTSN. While the school I'm teaching at now has conferences very early in the school year (only a couple of weeks actually between them & BTSN), I've been in other schools where the time frame was much longer, maybe 6 or 7 weeks. A lot can change in that time frame, so maybe the email was just reassuring you that your child was still doing a great job.

PSA here: (and not saying that this is the case for OP) Parents please know that the vast majority of teachers are not looking to get out of any work when they suggest you don't need to come in for a conference. The fact is that most of us understand that family life is busy; two parents working (frequently during the times when conferences are being held), your children are in after-school activities, in this economy many parents have gone back to school themselves and may have class at that time, doctor appointments (I know in most cases I have to make an appointment 3 months in advance - cancelling an appointment means another 3 month wait), caring for senior parents, etc. We know that a lot, and I do mean whole heckofalot, of parents feel it is a waste of time to come to a conference to just hear the teacher go on about what they already know about their child. We know this because parents actually tell us! So when we offer you the option to not attend, please don't read the message as not wanting to meet with you. We want to meet with you, even if your child is the rare perfect kid. In reality, we're just trying to be considerate.

ETA: Just saw the OP's post that was not there when I started my post. You have very good reasons for wanting to see your child's teacher. It's rare when a teacher (or any other professional) with a poor reputation hasn't come by it honestly.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis

Last edited by Kathi OD; 10-13-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #105
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....which is why it's SO IMPORTANT for parents to attend B-t-S Nite....I can't imagine not wanting to meeting the persons who spend more then half the time with their children....
Here, in elem and middle school, back to school night is a time for you to find your child's classroom and locker, drop off supplies and pick up paperwork due back the first day of school.

There is no back to school night for high school.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: