Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #76
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

I think no child is perfect and they all deserve a conference if the parents want one.

If your child is going into middle school next year, this conference could be a great way to find out what skills they might need to make that transition.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #77
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What are your thoughts? Discuss.
If this were me and my child, I would be quite happy to not have to go. I don't need to see the teacher in person to tell me how good my child is. I already know that. It would be a waste of my time and theirs. If the teacher had something specifically she wanted to discuss or if I had a concern, that would be different.

My advice to you is to go if you want to. If you have a concern you need to address, then tell the teacher you want to meet with her. If you just want the teacher to tell you how great your child is in person, I don't see the point.
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #78
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1700 View Post
I think no child is perfect and they all deserve a conference if the parents want one.

If your child is going into middle school next year, this conference could be a great way to find out what skills they might need to make that transition.
Not true - dd11 is perfect! And I've been told this by every teacher she's ever had, and every one of her friends' parents. Ds14 thinks that she's going to be the one who gets involved with drugs, and breaks our hearts. But even he will admit that she's pretty much the perfect child.

OP, I'd be happy to skip a conference. All of my kids are straight A students, but I still needed to have conferences for 3 of my kids.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #79
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

As someone who has a child in 9th grade and has not had a teacher conference since the child has been in school, I would appreciate the email and not worry about it.

IMO, conferences are more of a time to sit and dicuss problems, not tell someone how great their kid is doing. And even then, some problems can be handled through email.

When younger ds was in school we had a lot of conferences because of his ADHD, the last one was when he was in the 9th grade. But, if there are no issues to discuss, I don't see why you would want to waste your time and her's.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #80
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue View Post
That is what I am assuming Tinker'n'Fun was dealing with.

I don't think any person would go to a conference for a senior just to see what was going on in his school life They would just sit down and ask their soon-to-be adult child.

But, if your child is having issues (either social or poor grades) during any high school year, I would hope that parent would go in.
IDK...in the high schools I'm familiar with I'm thinking that many of the teachers wouldn't be able to offer much insight into much beyond the academic. Teachers have hundreds of students, most of whom they only see for a 60-90 minute period. Kids sit in their chairs and listen. Some participate in class discussions, some don't (and often that has more to do with the kids' personalities than whether they are having any problems). They do their homework. They take tests. Sure, some kids will develop a relationship with one or more teachers, but most will just come and go.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #81
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I think that she is trying to open up more time to meet with the parents whose kids need more help and intervention. Give yourself a nice pat on the back that's not you.
We are always told this from day 1. Conferences are only for parents/teachers that have concerns about a student. If there are no concerns, no conference is necessary. I love it, as a parent. No need to find someone to watch my kids for 15 minutes while I talk to a teacher about something I already know.

I think it's a waste of time on both sides to schedule one when there is nothing to discuss. Save it for the kids who really need it..

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #82
clm10308
DIS Veteran

Our current disrtict only does organized conferences for elem/mid school. I think the HS teachers have professional development on conference day. The HS has yearly "Next Step" meetings with the counselor were the counselor and student discuss progress toward graduation, college, and future goals past High School. Theses are scheduled on an individual basis not on any specific day, and I did attend my DDs this year.

Also, our conferences are not parent-teacher conferences. They are Student Led conferences where the student has an agenda and leads the conference. The teacher does not even sit with us untl the end of the conference to answer any questions. I would guess that younger kids get a little more help in running the conference, but by the 2nd conference last year my son did fine following the agenda and that was his first year at this school. The student reviews test scores, grades, goals for the year (personal goals), how they can improve at school, and how parents can help at home.

I did think this type of conference was strange at first, but I can see how this does make the child more responsible for their own education and does build skills for the "real world". I never would have imagined that this little school district would be so progressive compared to what I am reading here.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #83
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
I understand that. My point, poorly stated, was that in our school district, all parents are allotted the same amount of time on conference day. If parents need more time, they are asked to make a separate appointment. The policy at your school might be different.
Yes, you can make a separate appointment at my DD's school too. It's easy for me to make it since I work from home, but I can imagine that it's not as easy for other working parents to take work off for two appointments.

Quote:
And for the record, it's not about having my ego stroked. I like to have one on one with the people that my kids spend their day with, and I exercise my right to do so.
If you want to see your kids teachers, that's OK. But don't pretend that it's not taking some time away from kids who need more help and guidance.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #84
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence about the teacher's email. I am a former teacher and I never thought about suggesting parents don't come to conferences because their child was a great student. No student is perfect, there is always room for improvement somewhere, even if it's just recommending books or activities outside of school to encourage a student's interests. I saw conferences as a way to see the parents and just talk to them about their kid. I always encouraged parents of struggling kids to set up an additional time with me where we could meet for longer and discuss their child more in depth.

I had a P/T conference with DD's 3rd grade teacher last night. DD is a good student and I really had no concerns about her. But I went anyway because I just wanted to touch base with her teacher and to use the time to get a better feel of the teacher. I'm glad I did go because we talked about the state testing in the spring that starts in 3rd grade. The teacher gave me a bunch of ideas of how to help DD at home prepare for the reading portion of it. These are things that we can work on outside of school to help her do well on the test. I was able to learn more about some science activities that DD really enjoyed. I also got a better sense of the teacher's expectations with certain homework assignments so I can help DD if she needs it.

Despite the teacher's recommendation, if you want to meet with her and talk to her, then you have every right to keep that appointment. Conferences are not just about how to help struggling students, but they're also about finding ways to keep challenging good students.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #85
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Unless there is something SPECIFIC you need to discuss, going to a parent/teacher conference is just a waste of everyone's time.

But I don't think the teacher should be emailing individual parents and telling them not to show up. When the conference forms are sent home, it should have been specified then that they would prefer to only talk with students with issues.

Actually, our district doesn't even send home forms anymore unless the teacher feels a conference is necessary.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #86
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
Mrs. Teacher
Pleasant Valley Elementary School"

What are your thoughts? Discuss.
My thought is that if that is the Pleasant Valley Elementary School in Parma, OH that I went there for Kindergarten.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #87
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=robinb;46423423

If you want to see your kids teachers, that's OK. But don't pretend that it's not taking some time away from kids who need more help and guidance.[/QUOTE]

Again, in our district, parent teacher conferences are limited to ten minutes, no exceptions. Whether I attend or not, each student's parents get ten minutes. So no, I'm not taking time from anyone.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #88
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
She's probably trying to schedule two dozen or more conferences into a limited time frame and focus on the problem/struggling students.
This.

I don't have a huge problem with this email.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #89
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

I have a college freshman and a high school senior. We went to parent teacher conferences in grammar school but not middle or high school.

We did go to the welcome to school night at the middle and high school. You would have to follow your children's schedule for classes with 10 minutes in each classroom and 3 minutes to get to the next classroom. We got the outlines of the work they were doing at that time along with contact info.

Both my DDs got good grades so we saw no need for the conference. When DD19 was a sophomore in high school, she had a medical issue that interfered with her school work. I made sure to speak to the school at that time to make sure she would not fall behind. Otherwise I would talk to them about their grades and if they had any problems.

OP, I would do as another poster suggested and email the teacher that you appreciate her suggestion but that you have some things you want to discuss with the teacher at conference.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #90
TheIncredibles!
Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award!

I'd be celebrating if I received an email like that. I think school conferences are a waste of time unless you are a complete bozo as a parent and are so clueless that you need to go in there to have the teacher point out something you should know already....
TheIncredibles! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: