Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #61
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue View Post
Why are you assuming that the conferences that I had with my foster son's school were only 15 minutes long?

Why are you assuming that he was not present?

I never said any of those things.

I am simply saying that when you have a child that is having trouble, sometimes a conference (or 2 or 10) during the high school years are necessary.

This particular foster son had an array of school personnel at his conferences and he also attended. They most certainly helped prepare him for the real world. He now has a full time job at a grocery store and his social skills have improved. Most of this was made possible by our school conferences.

I guess I should apologize b/c I am also assuming that Tinker'n'Fun's children also had difficulty in school and that is why she goes to conferences up until their senior year.
Ok.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #62
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Ok.
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #63
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
At Open House for my 5th grade dd, teacher told me and another parent that if we knew our child was doing well and there were no issues, we could forego the conference since we probably didn't want to have to just listen to her tell us how wonderful our kids were-we already knew that. I went over to the sign up sheets and signed up for a conference anyways.

Today, I got the following email from the teacher. A couple other moms got it too.

"Good Morning,
I wanted to touch base with you regarding the Parent/Teacher Conference you signed up for. As I mentioned at Open House, I am not trying to discourage any parent from meeting with me, but as a parent of a very successful student, I found it frustrating to make all the arrangements for a 15 min meeting where the teacher told me my child was great.

I am letting you know that your dd is doing very well so far this year, working at grade level and at the high end of grade level. Unless you have any concerns, I really don't have anything to discuss at our conference.

Please let me know if you would like to meet, or if a phone conversation would work better for you. Thank you, by the way, for raising such a kind and wonderful daughter - she is a pleasure to have in class!

Mrs. Teacher
Pleasant Valley Elementary School"

What are your thoughts? Discuss.
I think if the teacher already approached you at open house about not needing to come to p/t conferance and you still signed up for one, she should not have then sent you an e-mail about not attending.

She made an offer to you, you obviously declined and I think she should have dropped it.

She said in her e-mail that she was "not trying to discourage you from the meeting"........really???? By speaking to you in person AND sending you an e-mail, would seem to me that she is trying to discourage you.

I have one in college and one in 11th grade. Over the years, we went to some p/t conferances and some we skipped. However, I would have had a problem if, a teacher told me I didnt need to come, I wanted a meeting, so I signed up for one anyway and then received the e-mail that you did.

I think the teacher over stepped her grounds......by mentioning it once.....fine...but she should have realized when you signed up for one anyway, you did want to meet with her.......she should have dropped it at that point and not sent you an e-mail........I find that very strange!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #64
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Not all schools operate conferences in the same manner. I think that is the confusing part for you.
I'm not confused about how conferences operate thanks.

I just don't see how they prepare children for the real world. I would think parenting and school as a whole would do that. Not a parent/teacher conference.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #65
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
Our conferences are set up in ten minute increments and every parent has the opportunity to attend, so no time is taken from the parents of students who struggle. I think this teacher is trying to lighten her load.
My child is not at the top of her class in all her subjects and occasionally struggles. I know! It's hard to believe on the DIS! Sometimes I think we all live in a virtual Lake Wobegon. I have to tell you that 10 minutes in NOT enough time for parents of struggling kids. We need to know (1) what's going wrong in class and (2) how to make up poor grades if possible and (3) how to get better grades in the future. That simply can't be done in 10 minutes. If parents of the the kids who at the top of the class skipped having their egos stroked you would have had more time for the kids who really need it. Heck, you could probably even give them 15-20 minutes of your time.

FTR, I do enjoy having my ego stroked too. I saw my DD's computer teacher today and she said my DD was "A rock star in my class!" It was good to hear .
Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #66
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Why are you assuming that the conferences that I had with my foster son's school were only 15 minutes long?

Why are you assuming that he was not present?
Because that is what this thread is about, how is that confusing?

This is about skipping the 10 -15 minute mass, get them all in and out the door conferences. Or in Middle school and high school the 5 minutes meet and greets in the gym with 500 other parents all lined up.

No one is talking about skipping individual set up conferences about a child and a problem.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #67
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post

This is about skipping the 10 -15 minute mass, get them all in and out the door conferences. Or in Middle school and high school the 5 minutes meet and greets in the gym with 500 other parents all lined up.

No one is talking about skipping individual set up conferences about a child and a problem.
Thank you!
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #68
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
My child is not at the top of her class in all her subjects and occasionally struggles. I know! It's hard to believe on the DIS! Sometimes I think we all live in a virtual Lake Wobegon. I have to tell you that 10 minutes in NOT enough time for parents of struggling kids. We need to know (1) what's going wrong in class and (2) how to make up poor grade if possible and (3) how to get better grades in the future. That simply can't be done in 10 minutes. If parents of the the kids who at the top of the class skipped having their egos stroked you would have had more time for the kids who really need it. Heck, you could probably even give them 15-20 minutes of your time.

FTR, I do enjoy having my ego stroked too. I saw my DD's computer teacher today and she said my DD was "A rock star in my class!" It was good to hear .
Maybe it's a WI thing, because my kids are completely average, normal kids. One is a B/C student and the other is an A/B student.

Shocking, isn't it?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #69
SaraJayne

Quote:

Yes, this thread is about the regular, 10 or 15 mins scheduled conferences. It isn't about "special" conferences you call with the teacher to discuss additional issues with your child.

I think someone is confused.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #70
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Actually, I was responding to why, perhaps, people may be having conferences for their high school children.

This thread has branched out a bit, hasn't it

But, I will say, that not all schools ban children from conferences and not all schools only have 15 minute sessions. People are assuming that.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #71
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I'm not confused about how conferences operate thanks.
Oh. Ok. Perhaps just a misunderstanding. Why the "tone"?

I have lurked for quite awhile and I always thought you were a nice poster.

Maybe you are having a bad morning. In that case, I present to you a hug
Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #72
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Actually, I was responding to why, perhaps, people may be having conferences for their high school children.

This thread has branched out a bit, hasn't it

But, I will say, that not all schools ban children from conferences and not all schools only have 15 minute sessions. People are assuming that.
We know that this is not always the case. HOWEVER, obviously for a lot of us it is the case for the basic "keep you up to date" conferences. (Which is what this thread is about.)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #73
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
My child is not at the top of her class in all her subjects and occasionally struggles. I know! It's hard to believe on the DIS! Sometimes I think we all live in a virtual Lake Wobegon. I have to tell you that 10 minutes in NOT enough time for parents of struggling kids. We need to know (1) what's going wrong in class and (2) how to make up poor grades if possible and (3) how to get better grades in the future. That simply can't be done in 10 minutes. If parents of the the kids who at the top of the class skipped having their egos stroked you would have had more time for the kids who really need it. Heck, you could probably even give them 15-20 minutes of your time.

I understand that. My point, poorly stated, was that in our school district, all parents are allotted the same amount of time on conference day. If parents need more time, they are asked to make a separate appointment. The policy at your school might be different.

And for the record, it's not about having my ego stroked. I like to have one on one with the people that my kids spend their day with, and I exercise my right to do so.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #74
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Yes, this thread is about the regular, 10 or 15 mins scheduled conferences. It isn't about "special" conferences you call with the teacher to discuss additional issues with your child.

I think someone is confused.
No. I am not confused at all. Wait. Maybe I am

Again, I was responding to a specific person that was talking about having conferences for high school students.

These threads just have a way of morphing, don't they
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #75
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Oh. Ok. Perhaps just a misunderstanding. Why the "tone"?

I have lurked for quite awhile and I always thought you were a nice poster.

Maybe you are having a bad morning. In that case, I present to you a hug
Maybe it was misunderstanding on both sides. Perhaps I took your "confused" post differently than was intended.

I'm having a great morning actually! Sorry if there was a "tone".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: