Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #91
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Hi Amanda! I went missing, but I'm back.

Hurray for the sweatshirt miracle!!!

You really had a great drive down - I mean, only one potty "emergency" - that's pretty dang good!!!

The check-in process at both the race and the hotel sounds a little irritating, but it all worked out so we're on to the vacation!

The pictures of the BW area are killing me! I want to be there so bad - seriously, I know that I haven't really stayed anywhere else yet, but that is my FAVORITE resort area.

Can't wait for more!!!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #92
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Nothing like the rains in Florida! At least they usually pass. I didn't realize yall stayed at BC before OKW. Makes perfect sense because of the run. BC/YC is on my bucket list....however, Boardwalk Villas are next (as of now). Glad you made mention that you liked the area...reaffirms me wanting to stay there. You got some great shots looking over at EP. Just curious...you said the halls were really long. Like longer than WL?? The last time we were at the WL, our room was forever away!!
I think the area is great! I was really surprised by just how close EPCOT really was. And we saw the walking path to DHS - it looked really nice.

In my opinion, the halls at BC were a good bit longer than WL. Now, perhaps our room at WL was just closer to elevators than our room at BC was. But, I would say that BC halls are longer. It just felt like we would walk & walk & walk before getting to our room. If we were to stay in one of the EPCOT resorts again, I would request a room near the elevators for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Hi Amanda! I went missing, but I'm back.
Hey there! Glad to have you back!

Quote:
Hurray for the sweatshirt miracle!!!
Yay!! I was so happy Ed found my beloved sweatshirt!

Quote:
You really had a great drive down - I mean, only one potty "emergency" - that's pretty dang good!!!
The drive went better than I had hoped! Was it perfect? No. But not much ever is, right? I thought Reid did really well with the long drive.

Quote:
The check-in process at both the race and the hotel sounds a little irritating, but it all worked out so we're on to the vacation!
Neither were fun & they had me on edge, that's for sure. But, thankfully, it all worked out & didn't take too terribly long.

Quote:
The pictures of the BW area are killing me! I want to be there so bad - seriously, I know that I haven't really stayed anywhere else yet, but that is my FAVORITE resort area.
I really loved walking along the Boardwalk. It was so nice and helped turn our evening around. It really is a great area!

Quote:
Can't wait for more!!!
Thanks! I'll have the next update in a few days - maybe like Monday!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #93
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Hey there! Glad to have you back!

Yay!! I was so happy Ed found my beloved sweatshirt!

The drive went better than I had hoped! Was it perfect? No. But not much ever is, right? I thought Reid did really well with the long drive.

Neither were fun & they had me on edge, that's for sure. But, thankfully, it all worked out & didn't take too terribly long.

I really loved walking along the Boardwalk. It was so nice and helped turn our evening around. It really is a great area!

Thanks! I'll have the next update in a few days - maybe like Monday!
I think Reid did GREAT on the drive! Willow would have LOST IT at his age.

Hopefully, I will get on here more next week and catch your update earlier. Things have been so dang busy at home and at work.

Are you ready for Halloween???????
Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #94
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think Reid did GREAT on the drive! Willow would have LOST IT at his age.
Thanks! He really was quite the trooper with it all. I think he had one little fit on the way there, when we were looking for dinner the 1st night. And he had 1 or 2 fits on the way home because he was just ready to get out. But, we drove the whole way home that day so I couldn't really blame him.

Quote:
Hopefully, I will get on here more next week and catch your update earlier. Things have been so dang busy at home and at work.
I hope things calm down for you! My goal is to do 2 updates a week for this TR.

Quote:
Are you ready for Halloween???????
We are! We have a Halloween party tomorrow afternoon, one next Friday night and then trick-or-treat of course on the 31st. I love Halloween!

How is Willow's Michael Jackson costume coming along? I love how original she is!!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #95
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! He really was quite the trooper with it all. I think he had one little fit on the way there, when we were looking for dinner the 1st night. And he had 1 or 2 fits on the way home because he was just ready to get out. But, we drove the whole way home that day so I couldn't really blame him.
Honestly? I think Reid did AMAZING!

Quote:
I hope things calm down for you! My goal is to do 2 updates a week for this TR.
Thanks, I hope so too, but I don't see it happening!

Quote:
We are! We have a Halloween party tomorrow afternoon, one next Friday night and then trick-or-treat of course on the 31st. I love Halloween!
Wow - you are going to be busy!!! What is Reid's costume???

Quote:
How is Willow's Michael Jackson costume coming along? I love how original she is!!
My friend finished it today - it will arrive next week - we are both excited to see it. I cannot believe this is what she chose, but . We ran into her teacher in the grocery store tonight and mentioned her costume - the teacher gave me a very weird look. I figure I will be getting a few of those.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #96
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow - you are going to be busy!!! What is Reid's costume???
We've had stuff every single weekend since we've returned from Disney. Once we get to November, our weekends will (hopefully) slow down. Reid is just going to use his Captain Hook costume. I wasn't buying 2 costumes in one year! And I will bring it for pirate night on the cruise in June. I'm making sure I'm getting my $$$'s worth out of that costume.

Quote:
My friend finished it today - it will arrive next week - we are both excited to see it. I cannot believe this is what she chose, but . We ran into her teacher in the grocery store tonight and mentioned her costume - the teacher gave me a very weird look. I figure I will be getting a few of those.
Eh - let them give their weird looks. Who cares! Willow is her own unique spirit & I think that is fantastic. I always like seeing a kid who's a leader & not a follower!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #97
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We've had stuff every single weekend since we've returned from Disney. Once we get to November, our weekends will (hopefully) slow down. Reid is just going to use his Captain Hook costume. I wasn't buying 2 costumes in one year! And I will bring it for pirate night on the cruise in June. I'm making sure I'm getting my $$$'s worth out of that costume.
I think that's a great idea! The years that we did MNSSHP, that is what Willow wore for Halloween - seriously, Halloween was a let-down compared to MNSSHP anyway.

Quote:
Eh - let them give their weird looks. Who cares! Willow is her own unique spirit & I think that is fantastic. I always like seeing a kid who's a leader & not a follower!
You are right. I used to live in a place where I would get hundreds (not kidding ) of trick-or-treaters each night. I only remember one of them now years later - a little boy dressed as an old man with a cane. He never broke character - he tottered up my steps leaning on his cane, spoke with an old-man voice, etc. My friend (in the same neighborhood) and I actually talked about him the next day because we both noticed him. I guess I should be happy that my kid knows what she likes and doesn't care that other kids won't know who she is supposed to be.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #98
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think that's a great idea! The years that we did MNSSHP, that is what Willow wore for Halloween - seriously, Halloween was a let-down compared to MNSSHP anyway.
Reid is like me - he loves Halloween! He's so excited about trick-or-treat. He's already been practicing.

Quote:
You are right. I used to live in a place where I would get hundreds (not kidding ) of trick-or-treaters each night. I only remember one of them now years later - a little boy dressed as an old man with a cane. He never broke character - he tottered up my steps leaning on his cane, spoke with an old-man voice, etc. My friend (in the same neighborhood) and I actually talked about him the next day because we both noticed him. I guess I should be happy that my kid knows what she likes and doesn't care that other kids won't know who she is supposed to be.
We used to live in a neighborhood that would get that many trick-or-treaters. It was so fun! Everyone would set up on their driveways & we would all just sit outside all night. Last year, the neighborhood we lived in didn't really get into it too much. The neighborhood we moved into this year isn't huge but it connects to 3 other neighborhoods. So, I'm thinking it will be a big deal & should be a lot of fun again this year.

The kids may not know who Willow is but I bet a lot of the adults giving her candy will know!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #99
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Reid is like me - he loves Halloween! He's so excited about trick-or-treat. He's already been practicing.
Aww - that is SO CUTE!!!!

Quote:
We used to live in a neighborhood that would get that many trick-or-treaters. It was so fun! Everyone would set up on their driveways & we would all just sit outside all night. Last year, the neighborhood we lived in didn't really get into it too much. The neighborhood we moved into this year isn't huge but it connects to 3 other neighborhoods. So, I'm thinking it will be a big deal & should be a lot of fun again this year.
You know, the idea of it where I lived was great, but the reality was kind of a nightmare. I would literally spend hundreds of dollars on candy and be out before 8:00. I couldn't leave my door long enough to go to the bathroom. And at times it got downright intimidating. It actually kind of ruined Halloween for me for a while.

Quote:
The kids may not know who Willow is but I bet a lot of the adults giving her candy will know!
Yes, I think you are right. The only concern I have is that for as many adults who will think it is awesome will be adults who will think it is inappropriate. I hope not, but you never know! I wasn't impressed with the look on her teacher's face! I mean, she will be wearing this costume to the school party. Whatever - she loves MJ, and honestly, so do I, so she should do what she wants and be thrilled about it. My friend has nearly killed herself sewing this thing for her, and I know it will be AMAZING!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #100
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

I love Reid's Mickey shirt! I want one in my size. Happy to hear u found your sweatshirt. I sure wish I could find our Disney tix from last June. Ha ha I'm gonna try and exchange them for a gift card next visit. Subbing so I can read more at home!
OneTreeHillAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #101
ShannonMarie
Mouseketeer

Same thing happened with us and our tickets and to my parents (who we booked through Run Disney also). I found it a bit hard to believe also!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #102
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sounds like they have the same setup indeed! If we ever stay at any of those EPCOT resorts, I'll know to request a room near the elevators.
Absolutely agree with you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Nothing like the rains in Florida! At least they usually pass. I didn't realize yall stayed at BC before OKW. Makes perfect sense because of the run. BC/YC is on my bucket list....however, Boardwalk Villas are next (as of now). Glad you made mention that you liked the area...reaffirms me wanting to stay there. You got some great shots looking over at EP. Just curious...you said the halls were really long. Like longer than WL?? The last time we were at the WL, our room was forever away!!
I actually requested a room by the elevator at WL Heather... From what I remember the halls are longer at YC, but at WL we were in a Honeymoon room so literally right by the lounge...but we did some wandering about
Old 10-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #103
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw
Does anyone ever sleep well on vacation? I surely don’t. It’s rare that I sleep a full night without waking up when we’re on vacation. I don’t know if it’s the excitement of vacation, not being in my own bed/home or something else but I usually wake up about every hour or every couple of hours during the night. Once we’re towards the end of vacation, I may have a night or two that I sleep that whole night through. The only time I’ve slept peacefully on a vacation is when we were on the Dream last year. The beds are just heavenly! The thought of them makes me excited to get on the Fantasy in June.

But, I digress. Back to talking about our most recent trip. We had checked into our hotel room in Tallahassee for Thursday night. After much tossing & turning & waking up, my alarm went off at 6:30 am. I was tired and slow to get up but eventually all three of us were out of bed by 6:45 am. Reid was enjoying a little bit of TV time:

Everyone got ready for the day and then we headed to the lobby of the Wingate for the free breakfast. I thought they had a decent food selection: scrambled eggs, sausage patties, toast, french toast, English muffins, pastries, cereals, yogurt, milk and juices (apple and orange). They also had a “make-your-own-waffle” station. We chose this option. Reid and I got drinks while Ed made a waffle for himself and one for Reid and I to share. I have to say that the waffles were pretty good! And quite filling!

Once our bellies were full, we went back to our room to grab our luggage. The boys went to load up the car while I did one last room check for our stuff. Unfortunately, I think I didn’t do a very good job this day. I am almost certain that I somehow left my favorite LSU sweater here. Unless I left it at Beach Club. Either way, my favorite sweater that I wore all the time is now gone. But, anyway, I did my room sweep and went out to meet the boys at the car.

We were loaded up and on the road for 8:25 am. Someone was excited to be back in the car and on our way:

It was a really pretty morning and everyone was in good spirits. Until Reid started getting a little restless. So, I quickly gave out another goody bag:

He loves the Three Mouseketeers movie so he was very excited when he pulled out the book. He was quite content from this point out and was pretty much able to entertain himself. When we got around Lake City, FL we made a gas and potty stop. That was quick enough. Then Reid wanted something to drink. I put some Sprite in a lidded cup for him. Well, evidently that cup doesn’t like carbonated drinks & started spewing Sprite everywhere. So, we quickly pulled into a hotel parking lot so I could empty out the Sprite. I found some water to put in his cup instead. The cup was much happier with that choice.

We were finally back on the road! Only thing was that when we got back on the road, Ed and I realized pretty much right away that we had forgot to take out cash before leaving home. We never carry cash on us. Seriously. Not even change. But we knew we were going to need some sort of currency to get onto all the lovely Florida toll roads. We drove for a bit and then got off at an exit in Gainesville. Luckily, we were able to find an ATM very close to the interstate.

Cash in wallet, we were back on the road! And we were determined not to stop until we got to Disney World! However, Reid’s bladder had different plans. Right before we were going to get on the toll road, he told us he needed to potty. Okay, fine, we’ll stop. Only problem is that there were no exits with gas stations or anything. I really felt bad for him and was close to making Ed pull over on the side of the road for the little fellow. But, we were now at the first toll plaza. Thankfully, Ed thought to ask the toll booth operator how far the next exit with a bathroom would be. Her answer was, “16 miles”. She must have seen the look of horror on my face because she quickly added, “But, you can carefully cross all the way over to your right and pull into our office parking lot. There’s a public restroom there.” Thank goodness!

We made our quick potty stop and were, once again, back on the road! It wasn’t too long before we started getting closer to Disney. Someone, besides myself, was started to getting excited.

And excitement really started to grow when this sign popped up:

And then we finally came across the best sign in the world:

Excitement was at a full-blown high at this point:

One more picture because I just love that sign so much:

Reid and I were squealing so loud that I think all of Florida certainly heard us. I was happy to have my sunglasses on so Ed couldn’t see me tearing up. I knew he’d make fun of me.

Then it wasn’t long until we arrived at our first destination:

We were on our way to the Fitness Expo for the Tower of Terror races. Ed had to pick up his packet for the 10 mile race and I needed to get mine for the 5K. This was our first time ever going to Disney’s Wide World of Sports.

When we arrived, all you could see were cars everywhere. That place was busy! But there must have been some sort of baseball tournament going on because we saw lots of baseball players unloading equipment and such. We got parked and everyone hopped out of the car, happy to stretch our legs.....and to finally be in Disney!! Someone was being a little extra silly:

We followed the crowds and made our way towards the main complex:

We made our way to the Expo. It was crowded! Once we found the lines to pick up our race bibs, we split up. Ed went to stand in his line while Reid and I went to get my bib. My line was extremely short and we were done quickly. Unfortunately, Ed had hardly moved. At this point, Reid was starting to get really whiny and defiant. I knew I had seen a booth earlier that might brighten his mood: a Dannon yogurt booth. My child loves yogurt and especially the kind they were handing out: Dannon Light & Fit. That’s the kind I buy at home and he gobbles it up!

So, Reid and I made our way to the yogurt booth. I grabbed him a Strawberry Banana yogurt and we found a spot on the floor to sit where we (hopefully) wouldn’t be trampled. Right when Reid was finishing his yogurt, Ed walked up to us. He finally had his race bib. Now, we had to go stand in another line for our race shirts. This didn’t take long but I don’t understand why they can’t just give you a shirt when they’re giving you your other race stuff.

Once we had that in our hands, I was ready to get out of there. The place was really crowded. There were a few times that Reid got stepped on/into by adults. They had you exit near a food place, ESPN Grill or something like that. Reid said he was hungry. I couldn’t blame him, it was getting past our lunchtime. I offered up food from that place but he didn’t want anything there. I asked if he would rather just go to the resort for lunch and he said yes.

We made our way back to our car and were soon headed out of Wide World of Sports!
I am not sure if I let you know I sub'd... I did. But have not been able to catch up. I am trying to now. I thought I would take a moment after this update to comment.

The laces on the stroller- I wondered how they would work. I remember you mentioning them on your prt. I am glad they worked well for the stroller... Too bad they didn't for the shoes. Did they not "loop" easily?

Not sleeping on vacation- yup... I have the hardest time too!

Sprite in the cup- "the cup was happier with water"

Driving- Reid seems to do so well! That was quite the drive!

Fitness expo- it looks like you got there at a good time. We had a hard time leaving because the heavens opened up and spilled down the most intense amount of rain! I also didn't like how they were manny everyone funnel out through that one exit!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #104
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Folks.....I've had a miracle or some pixie dust or something come my way!!

Ed just called me from his office. He said, "Guess what I found?"

Me, "I don't know. What?"

Him, "Your LSU sweater."

Me, "WHAT?!? WHERE?!?"

Him, "My work backpack. In a compartment I barely use. I don't even know what I was looking for when I opened it up just now."

I am beyond excited!!!! I must have just stuffed it in there when we were leaving Tallahassee that Friday morning. I don't even know why I would do such a thing. I'm telling y'all - I was really running on fumes & excitement.

But, I'm getting my sweater tonight when he gets home. Or maybe he'll come home for lunch & I can wash it.

I can't even begin to tell y'all how happy I am. Yes, I know it's just a sweatshirt. But, it's my comfort sweatshirt.
YAY!! I am getting caught up using my phone, so I have no emoticons.... But if I knew the "code" for the dancing bananas, I would put a ton of them here! I hate losing stuff... And I ALWAYS seem to lose something while on vacation.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #105
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I truly thought either Reid or myself was going to have a meltdown in that place. It was so busy, people walking into us constantly, Reid threw a fit because he didn't want to hold my hand. I was like, "Uh you're holding a hand so you don't get lost in this sea of people." That was the 1st time during the trip I had to threaten him with a timeout in Disney. Thankfully, he chose to just hold my hand.

I have never been so happy to get a container of yogurt in all my life. It completely changed his mood......at least for the time being.
I was seriously overwhelmed at the expo! I did have a bit of a melt down :roll eyes: I missed the yogurt- maybe it was gone by the time we got there

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: