Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #181
merbobear
DIS Veteran
 
merbobear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 946

We stayed in a 2BR at OKW this year! The resort really is beautiful, we had a really pretty view of a large fountain from our patio. I agree the bathroom decor is a little dated compared to the rest of the room (I actually really like the bedspreads and the color scheme of the okw rooms!) but having a nice spacious area where your butt doesn't bump the door when you turn around sure is nice!
__________________
| August 1997 - Offsite | May 9-17, 2011 - POP Century | May 7-15, 2012 - Old Key West | May 10-19, 2012 - POP Century | May 9-18, 2014 - POP Century |




merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #182
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,756

Ok...OKW is not what at all what I expected and does look comfortable! And with lots of room. Interesting! Beaches and Cream looks delish! Adding to bucket list.

Ha! Just corrected my spelling on 'comfortable'!! funny!
__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD6 Thanks Kook!

Last edited by jennyjinx3; 11-06-2012 at 09:02 PM.
jennyjinx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #183
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne
 
CandleontheWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,222

Glad you guys made it over to beaches and cream, that is a must when staying at the beach club! I love the no way jose too, and wish I could have one right now!

I completely agree about switching resorts. Disney does make it as easy as possible, but I still feel like you loose a whole day to the process. Maybe it would be easier without kids, but still I know that DH wouldn't enjoy it.

Glad you liked OKW, I wasn't a huge fan, but that is why there are so many resorts, there is something for everyone. Glad you got your room ready before MNSSHP, that would have been frustrating!
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #184
pas130
DIS Veteran
 
pas130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,366

One of my favorite things about okw is the Mickeys in the railings..glad you guys liked it and very glad they found you a ready room!
__________________
Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #185
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,399

Interesting assessment of the resorts. One of these days I'd love to stay at either the Beach Club or Yacht Club for Stormalong Bay. It is a disappointment that there is some disrepair in some of the deluxe resorts though. I've always thought about doing a split stay just as a way to experience some of the other resorts in a more economical fashion. It would definitely not be a really convenient thing to have to spend part of a day checking out/in.

The No Way Jose looks awesome. Maybe you guys should have just skipped the actual meal and ordered a couple of them?
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #186
holleypie
Mouseketeer
 
holleypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Have you done other Disney races?
No, not yet. We were actually there last year during the Wine and Dine half but I was seven months pregnant and not running anywhere except to the bathroom.

OKW isn't really as enticing as the other resorts (we stayed there because it was cheapest!), but we've been there twice now and really ended up loving it. The resort is so peaceful and relaxing, the rooms are large, and it's especially convenient if you're bringing a car.
__________________
holleypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #187
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran
 
marDgreen88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,819

Beaches and Cream is so fun! YAY, FIRST FAMILY OF THE DAY! That No Way Jose looks and sounds completely amazing. Chocolate and peanut butter is the best, most genius combination ever.

I used to just be in love with the Beach Club, and it is a great and beautiful resort. Lately though, the Boardwalk has just been at the top of my list. For some reason everything about it just seems so perfect. Even though I definitely still want to stay at BC someday, your review made me realize that Boardwalk is definitely # 1 for me now, in terms of where I want to stay in the future!

That's annoying that the room took a lot longer than it was supposed to, but it seems like it worked out great after all! I might have to work on a "mean mommy stare" of my own! Now if only there was a baby I could borrow...
__________________
-Marissa
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #188
emma212010
DIS Veteran
 
emma212010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 1,194 miles from the Magic Kingdom
Posts: 1,168

Your meal looks delicious, and that No Way Jose.... WOW! Just beautiful!

OKW sure is pretty! I really want to stay there sometime. Your room is very nice! And spacious!!

I can't wait to hear about MNSSHP!
__________________
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR


Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
emma212010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #189
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 40,626

Phew............I was so afraid that you were not going to like OKW from something you had said earlier, especially after I told you how much we loved it and it is now "our home." I'm sorry you had trouble checking-in, but at least you got your roo a whole lot sooner than we did (I guess I should try the mean mommy face next time).

It really is a beautiful resort; I agree, the bathrooms should have probably been redone, but they are spacious and I really like that.
__________________
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #190
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Now I'm getting nervous. Your review of BC coupled with the pics of OKW make me think that maybe I'm just a mod girl at heart? I really, really love the outdoor spaces at the mods. OKW looks lovely. I've always thought it'd be nice to stay there.

GRRRR to the CMs giving you the run around, but YAY for the Mommy glare working like a charm!

Can't wait to hear more!
I was really expecting to go on this trip and end up loving Beach Club and really hating OKW. But, it was quite the opposite. Well, that's not completely true. I didn't HATE Beach Club. I just didn't love it. Know what I mean? Anyway, I would say they worth checking out at least once. Beach Club definitely it you want lots of pool time.

Unfortunately, I have to use the Mommy glare quite a lot at home, so I have perfected it.
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #191
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
We stayed in a 2BR at OKW this year! The resort really is beautiful, we had a really pretty view of a large fountain from our patio. I agree the bathroom decor is a little dated compared to the rest of the room (I actually really like the bedspreads and the color scheme of the okw rooms!) but having a nice spacious area where your butt doesn't bump the door when you turn around sure is nice!
The space definitely can't be beat at OKW! And I'm with you - I like the bedspreads, too! Even if they just painted the tiles in the bathroom it would help. That pink is just yuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Ok...OKW is not what at all what I expected and does look comfortable! And with lots of room. Interesting! Beaches and Cream looks delish! Adding to bucket list.

Ha! Just corrected my spelling on 'comfortable'!! funny!
Beaches and Cream was so, so, so good!! I'm really glad we made a point of going there. Definitely worth it!

OKW wasn't what I was expecting either. It was so nice to have so much space for all of our stuff, especially after spending the previous 2 days living out of suitcases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Glad you guys made it over to beaches and cream, that is a must when staying at the beach club! I love the no way jose too, and wish I could have one right now!
That No Way Jose is ridiculously good!! I'm really glad we made a point to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I completely agree about switching resorts. Disney does make it as easy as possible, but I still feel like you loose a whole day to the process. Maybe it would be easier without kids, but still I know that DH wouldn't enjoy it.
It really is just a nuisance. That being said, I am working on a possible 2nd vacation for us in 2013 right now. And if works out, it would involve a split stay. I'm willing to do it if gets me more time at WDW. We shall see.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Glad you liked OKW, I wasn't a huge fan, but that is why there are so many resorts, there is something for everyone. Glad you got your room ready before MNSSHP, that would have been frustrating!
Absolutely! I will say this....I don't know if I would love it if we didn't have our car. We ended up driving almost every day because it was so much easier than the buses....especially with a small child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
One of my favorite things about okw is the Mickeys in the railings..glad you guys liked it and very glad they found you a ready room!
The railings are so cute! I want a fence like that in my front yard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Interesting assessment of the resorts. One of these days I'd love to stay at either the Beach Club or Yacht Club for Stormalong Bay. It is a disappointment that there is some disrepair in some of the deluxe resorts though. I've always thought about doing a split stay just as a way to experience some of the other resorts in a more economical fashion. It would definitely not be a really convenient thing to have to spend part of a day checking out/in.
Given the amount of foot traffic seen at WDW, I truly don't expect everything to look perfect. But, it really is disappointing when you're paying very high room rates (even with our RunDisney discount) to see things dirty and in a really worn out state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
The No Way Jose looks awesome. Maybe you guys should have just skipped the actual meal and ordered a couple of them?
OMG! That thing was awesome indeed!! Next time I think we will go just for dessert. But, I will say that the burgers were worth trying also! They were very yummy....and the fries, too!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #192
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by holleypie View Post
No, not yet. We were actually there last year during the Wine and Dine half but I was seven months pregnant and not running anywhere except to the bathroom.
I definitely remember how that feels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holleypie View Post
OKW isn't really as enticing as the other resorts (we stayed there because it was cheapest!), but we've been there twice now and really ended up loving it. The resort is so peaceful and relaxing, the rooms are large, and it's especially convenient if you're bringing a car.
Yeah, I don't know if I'd want to stay there without a car. But, with our car, it was really nice. And maybe because I went in with really low expectations it helped me to like it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Beaches and Cream is so fun! YAY, FIRST FAMILY OF THE DAY! That No Way Jose looks and sounds completely amazing. Chocolate and peanut butter is the best, most genius combination ever.
It was so fun when the lights were going off & they were cheering for us. You should definitely go back to try the No Way Jose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I used to just be in love with the Beach Club, and it is a great and beautiful resort. Lately though, the Boardwalk has just been at the top of my list. For some reason everything about it just seems so perfect. Even though I definitely still want to stay at BC someday, your review made me realize that Boardwalk is definitely # 1 for me now, in terms of where I want to stay in the future!
Glad I could help! Our first night there, when we were on the Boardwalk, part of me was really sad that I had switched us to Beach Club and not back to Boardwalk. But, I can cross BC off my resort list now. I think Boardwalk will be at the top of our list for 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
That's annoying that the room took a lot longer than it was supposed to, but it seems like it worked out great after all! I might have to work on a "mean mommy stare" of my own! Now if only there was a baby I could borrow...
If you can't find a baby, just get a baby doll. Put it in poses like it's doing mischievous things and then glare at it with a look that says, "You will regret even thinking about doing that!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Your meal looks delicious, and that No Way Jose.... WOW! Just beautiful!
It was beautiful! I just stared at it for a moment before I could even dig in. That meal was really great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
OKW sure is pretty! I really want to stay there sometime. Your room is very nice! And spacious!!
Loved all the space we had. And the resort is very lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I can't wait to hear about MNSSHP!
Hoping to start with that in a day or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Phew............I was so afraid that you were not going to like OKW from something you had said earlier, especially after I told you how much we loved it and it is now "our home." I'm sorry you had trouble checking-in, but at least you got your roo a whole lot sooner than we did (I guess I should try the mean mommy face next time).
Definitely try the Mommy glare! We really did love the resort. I will say this though: if I based my review completely on the check-in CM's, I don't think I'd like it as much. And not just because of my check-in experience. I'll have story about our checkout day as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
It really is a beautiful resort; I agree, the bathrooms should have probably been redone, but they are spacious and I really like that.
I was very happy to have a studio with that much space. And to have a studio with 2 queen beds. You really can't beat that!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #193
pas130
DIS Veteran
 
pas130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
The railings are so cute! I want a fence like that in my front yard!
Oh, me too
__________________
Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #194
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 18,974

We tried to each at Beaches N Cream in October. It was around 1pm ish and forget it. The wait was 45 minutes. Much too long. So we went to the Captains Grille Instead.

I agree that the YC looks like an awesome place to stay. It's one of the resorts that makes me a little sad that I am DVC. I do love the Boardwalk. Like it even more after my second stay.

So glad you liked your room at OKW. What a pretty view. I agree that changing resorts definitely slows down the day.

You have a lot of nice pics in your last update.
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #195
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
We tried to each at Beaches N Cream in October. It was around 1pm ish and forget it. The wait was 45 minutes. Much too long. So we went to the Captains Grille Instead.
Yeah, I can see where the waits get long there. The place is so tiny. If we ever eat there again, we'll try to get there for opening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I agree that the YC looks like an awesome place to stay. It's one of the resorts that makes me a little sad that I am DVC. I do love the Boardwalk. Like it even more after my second stay.
I was so surprised that we like the decor of YC more than BC. I really didn't think that resort would appeal to me. But, I think Boardwalk is really at the top of our list....with Contemporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So glad you liked your room at OKW. What a pretty view. I agree that changing resorts definitely slows down the day.
Thanks! After being so hesitant to stay there, I was really relieved to get in the room and be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
You have a lot of nice pics in your last update.
Thank you!!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: