Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Be Our Guest Lunch or Dinner?

If you have been to BOG, please share your experience. I am trying to decide between lunch or dinner. Party has people ages 11 - 75. All comments welcome. Thanks.

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

I have not been yet, but we just cancelled our dinner reservation for next week and will be doing lunch instead. The dinner reports have been overwhelmingly negative. There have been a few positive posts, but most have indicated that the servers are not well trained enough and the food was mediocre at best.

Lunch, on the other hand, has been getting very positive reviews. Keep in mind that you will have to wait in line for lunch, possibly for 20-25 minutes. Even so, we have decided that the price of dinner is not worth "maybe" having a good meal. We will do lunch this time and save dinner for our next trip. Hopefully by then they will have worked out all of the kinks.
MouseMomx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

I had a great time eating lunch there last week and highly recommend it!

Wander into one of the two side rooms (not the main ballroom) for more space.

My friend and I ordered the turkey sandwich and the croque monsieur and had half of each - they were yummy!

Another tip - we got in line around 10:50 and were lined up almost to the end of the bridge. We were seating within 15-20 minutes. No big deal - don't be intimidated by what looks like a long line - they move you through very quickly.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, and Newly Ordained.

Our Ratings of Be Our Guest (lunch / dinner): (11/3/2012)
. . . food price value: B / C
. . . food quality: B / C
. . . food quantity per serving: B / C
. . . food prep speed: B / C
. . . food selection: B / B
. . . seating quantity: A / B
. . . seating comfort: B / B
. . . eatery atmosphere: A / A
. . . eatery convenience: B / B
. . . staff friendliness: B / C
. . . staff attentiveness: C / D
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The eatery has different food themes than usually found
in a park. Although not "signature" eatery quality, food is good and
tasty. Lunch is QS with no ressies available, and dinner is TS and
ressies are highly advised. The atmosphere is very well done and
probably the most fancy and most themed of any WDW eatery.
As a QS eatery it is one of the best, as a TS eatery it is average.
(For dinner, think:CRT -- good atmosphere, average food quality.)

Our reviews of menu offerings: (we thought lunch is better than dinner)
LUNCH:
. . . tuna nicoise salad - pretty good, but light on the olives for my taste
. . . croque monsieur sandwich - nice, but Béchamel needs more nutmeg
. . . turkey on a warm baguette - good, especially with the dijon
. . . grilled steak sandwich - tasty, but slightly tough
. . . braised pork - recommended
. . . vegetable quiche - wife liked it (real mean don't sample quiche)
DINNER:
. . . pork rack chop - the pasta out-shined the pork
. . . rotisserie rock hen - nicely done and recommended
. . . pan-seared salmon - cooked properly, but average taste
. . . grilled strip steak - good, not great, steak
. . . sautéed shrimp and scallops - were only average
. . . oven-baked ratatouille - average
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
I have not been yet, but we just cancelled our dinner reservation for next week and will be doing lunch instead. The dinner reports have been overwhelmingly negative. There have been a few positive posts, but most have indicated that the servers are not well trained enough and the food was mediocre at best.

Lunch, on the other hand, has been getting very positive reviews. Keep in mind that you will have to wait in line for lunch, possibly for 20-25 minutes. Even so, we have decided that the price of dinner is not worth "maybe" having a good meal. We will do lunch this time and save dinner for our next trip. Hopefully by then they will have worked out all of the kinks.
I agree - I have read a ton of posts on BOG lunch vs. dinner. I also cancelled our dinner ressie because of the reviews and the dinner menu selections seemed a bit bland. In my opinion, the lunch menu seems better. Dinner doesn't seem to be that impressive of a menu to me. Pork chop, half a chicken, etc. Lunch has gotten better reviews and some of the lunch items look great!

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTtinkerbell View Post
If you have been to BOG, please share your experience. I am trying to decide between lunch or dinner. Party has people ages 11 - 75. All comments welcome. Thanks.
My answer is yes to both! Lunch and dinner are completely different experiences. During a passholder preview we were able to do both! I preferred the lunch menu to the dinner menu, but I preferred being waited on at dinner. We sat in the Rose Portrait room for lunch and the Ballroom for dinner.

The cupcakes are the best! My favorite was the lemon.

I really enjoyed my sauteed shrimp and scallops in a pastry. Dh got the ratatouille, he said it could have used more sauce, but he enjoyed it.

At lunch I just had french onion soup and a strawberry cupcake. Dh got the steak sandwich, he said he preferred the steak sandwich at The Plaza over this one.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
4simpsons
Earning My Ears

Dis Board Podcast

The DIS Board podcast that I listened to said that BOG dinner was amazing. I had not heard that people were saying bad things about dinner.

The lunch menu does not look good at all to me. I was also concerned that my kids wouldn't be able to pick out anything they like.

I will be curious to follow how this thread turns out.
4simpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

We just returned from a 7 night trip. We ate lunch and dinner there during our trip. We all agree that we really enjoyed our lunch. Our dinner was average. The atmosphere of the room and seeing the Beast were very cool. Food was mediocre at best. I don't have any regrets for eating dinner there, I just know we will never do it again. Lunch however was wonderful. It will be a must every trip!
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

We were lucky enough to catch BoG during a preview and had no wait for a table at lunch. We were not even hungry but couldn't pass it up! DH and I shared a steak sandwich and pomme frittes. Sandwich was really good. Fries were the same as everyplace in WDW. Chocolate cupcake was great, but messy as we could not get it out of the wrapper! LOL. We also ate dinner there a month later. It was great. We had 2 steaks one medium and one med rare. Both cooked just as ordered. The fries, or pomme frittes were differant than at lunch. More of a steak fry. DDIL had the Ratatouille and enjoyed it. I had the chocolate cupcake again and it was just as good as the first time. DS had the chocolate cream puff. He was not impressed. DDIL had the Grey stuff and loved it but it was a very small portion. She wanted to lick the plate! LOL We will be back Feb 25 for dinner and probably for lunch during our 10 day stay! Dinner is pricey but it it is WDW and the fantastic setting was worth it IMO!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

I was suprised how easily I got a May dinner ressie this week. Guess it was you folks cancelling.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
partigus
Mouseketeer

wow

Reading these posts...I'm a bit confused. I work in investments and we discuss performance on an "absolute" and "relative" basis. In this context, are people saying the steak sandwich is a better (absolute) meal than the steak, or simply on a relative basis- was it a really good sandwich and an average steak. This is an important question as many people would still prefer an average steak over a really good steak sandwich.

My feeling is if dinner fits into your budget and traveling plan- book it. This will be a spotlight location for disney- any short term issues will be solved in short order. if the worst case is you get an 'average" meal while seated in a french chalet while the Beast makes an occasional appearance.......................
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
Atchley
"Bedsheets? Who invited that kid?"

How do you find tables at lunch? Is it like Pecos Bills and you get your order then look for a place to sit or do they sit you somewhere? I know it is CS during lunch but just wondering?
If you have a large party and want to stay together, I would do dinner. I hate looking for a place for my family of four to sit together, let alone a larger party. I like TS meals because they find the table for me. (Six of us going next time, heaven help me )

May 28/May 31 2015-CBR May 31/June 6-AKV May 30/31 2013-ASMo May31/June 8 2013-AKVJune 6/9 2012-CBRJune 9/16 2012-VWL
Sept 4/11 2010-BLTSept 3/8 2009-PORJuly 17/25 2009-WLJuly 19/26 2008-WL July 15/22 2006-CBR July 20/26 2003-ASMo
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the responses, so far. I always enjoy reading these boards to get feedback.

I was able to book dinner at BOG for my June trip. At this time, I feel we should experience it at least once. I will keep reading reviews and discussing with my family.

Keep the reviews coming.......

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atchley View Post
How do you find tables at lunch? Is it like Pecos Bills and you get your order then look for a place to sit or do they sit you somewhere? I know it is CS during lunch but just wondering?
If you have a large party and want to stay together, I would do dinner. I hate looking for a place for my family of four to sit together, let alone a larger party. I like TS meals because they find the table for me. (Six of us going next time, heaven help me )
You are not allowed to enter the dining area until you have placed your order. This, plus the size of the place, means finding a table is not difficult. (You don't have people holding tables for people in line so nobody sits until just before they eat.). Reports have been very positive about table availability during lunch.
MouseMomx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #15
collegejunkie
DIS Veteran

we had both lunch and dinner and dinner was not good at all. lunch was way better. we won't return for dinner ever again, most likely, unless they add something like characters (not just the beast posing for pictures) and we really want to see them. lunch had great food and all 3 rooms were open. i'd vote lunch over dinner a thousand times

collegejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: