Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
KatieKat
Mouseketeer

Recipe ideas for a cheap wedding reception/party

So my boyfriend of 9 years and I are leaving for Jamaica in 16 days to get married!

When we get back we are having a VERY casual party for family/close friends at my parents house. There will probably be about 30-ish people there total. We are doing things super low key and casual. (IE CHEAP)

So, I need ideas for food and drinks that can be done CHEAP. So any good punch and appetizer recipes I can use? This party will be at 2 PM so we don't need anything to heavy. THANKS!

Pop Century (twice!) Port Orleans Riverside (twice!) Saratoga Springs All Star Sports Beach Club Swan
Treehouse Villas
KatieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Mom2Ben02
Our little souvenir from WDW was baby #2! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKat
So my boyfriend of 9 years and I are leaving for Jamaica in 16 days to get married!

When we get back we are having a VERY casual party for family/close friends at my parents house. There will probably be about 30-ish people there total. We are doing things super low key and casual. (IE CHEAP)

So, I need ideas for food and drinks that can be done CHEAP. So any good punch and appetizer recipes I can use? This party will be at 2 PM so we don't need anything to heavy. THANKS!
Congrats!!!!

My fave is pulled pork. Buy a cheap cut of pork. Cook it in a crockpot the day before in a can of Coke. Drain liquid. Shred meat, removing fat and bones. The day of, put it back in the crockpot, add another can of Coke and a bottle of BBQ. Serve on slider buns
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

At 2pm, I would just get a yummy cake, maybe a veggie platter or some fruit, nuts and mints and call it at that. If you really want, some deli sandwiches too.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Maybe a taco bar, and a margarita type punch. I have a large glass drink dispenser that holds 3 gallons. I always do a signature drink in that. For instance, at Thanksgiving, I do Cape Cods, for a back to school brunch, I did mimosas, etc.

I also provide wine, beer, and sodas, but the one signature drink knocks out the need to do a full bar. Our home is small, so I'm always looking for a way to provide a drink without doing everything under the sun.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Typical fun food for me is fruit with fruit dip
Combine one part 8oz. cream cheeze with marshmellow cream in a jar--easy to double recipe and folks eat it up. Can also color it with food coloring.

I do pinwheels. Use a soft tortilla. spread cream cheese, lay down slice or two of ham, then a green onion, roll up and slice.

Wedding cookies. Take Strawberry Newtons rolled in powdered sugar.

Best punch--1:1 ratio of Sprite and Welch's white grape joice. Easy to place white grapes in mold with punch for ice ring. Has an elegant flavor and is the color of champagne.

Cheese ball (made one tonight for party this weekend)
8 oz cream cheese
3 tbsp mayo
1/8 tsp Worchetershire sauce
3-4 drops hot sauce
2 cups fancy shredded mild cheddar cheese
2 tbsp green onion
1/4 cup bacon bits ( I use the Oscar Mayer packaged bits near the dressing)

Combine cream cheese and mayo first then other things. Chill for at least 2 hours, roll in ball, serve with Wheat Thins. It will feed about 20 people so I would double recipe. Good becasue it can be made ahead of time and you can also roll in almond slivers. It is just as popular as the fruit dip.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
crisi
DIS Veteran

There is a range of things from kitchy (suburban delight - one can no beans chili, one package velveta, one crockpot - and tortilla chips), to classy (bruschetta - french bread toasted with tomatos) Some are easy (it doesn't get any easier than suburban delight) some are fussy (stuffing dates with cream cheese and then wrapping bacon around them).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I guess a 2 pm party would infer lunch (I really think your party time should be adjusted though, why not set it at an actual meal time?) so get lunch stuff. I would do subs, side salads, and chips maybe. Or you could do a hot pasta and salad with fresh bread for lunch. Or if you really don't want to feed people anything more than cake, have the party start at 3 or 8 pm.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

this is my "go-to" Punch, it can be doubled, tripled or divided

1 two liter of lemon lime type soda ( Sprite, Sierra Mist)
2 quarts of pink or strawberry lemonade
1 can of frozen Raspberry or pink lemonade concentrate

Stir together, it's ok to not entirely disolve the frozen concentrate.

I throw in a handful of what-ever frozen berries I have. Sometimes directly into each glass, but usually into the drink pitcher
Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Sherbert, sprite/7-up and a fruit punch

Depending on where you live, tea(from the south sweet ) and water

Food: get some lunch meat and roll it up with cheese add some cracker, fruit, veggies. Meatballs/lil smokies in bbq sauce.

Don't forget the cake

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
mom2cookies
DIS Veteran

I often cater luncheons for funerals and open house wedding receptions. Usually upwards of 100 people. What we usually do is roll lunch meat ( usually ham, turnkey and roast beef ), stack some american and swiss cheese on a platter. Then slice some tomatoes, break some lettuce and slice some pickles. Buy small kaiser or club rolls. Buy a couple bottles of condiments. Make a pasta salad, a potato salad, and cole slaw, get a bag or two of chips. Serve a simple punch of juice and soda, have ice water, ice tea and coffee available. For dessert simply have cake ( if you plan on having one ) and/or get a cookie tray from a bakery. ( we usually have more desserts as often host families bake some )
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

one of the things i saw on 4 weddings once that was super cute that would work for an after noon lunch type thing was a milk and cookie bar. they had people bake them different type of cookies and then put out milk in glass bottles with jars of flavorings. you cold mix your own milk combo and then sample everyone's cookies.

i think cupcakes are also nice if you don't plan on buying a cake b/c you can buy professional looking decorations easily to dress them up.

as for food i say lots of finger foods. pasta is really cheap so if you have access to heat the food up right before hand you may want to make a few trays of pasta, serve with salads, veggies, maybe a meat dish, and bread.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

These are great ideas! If you plan to do a veggie or fruit tray, you will save a lot of money by cleaning the veggies and fruit yourself rather than buying them already prepared. Also, Costco or Sam's Club make great sheet cakes that can
Or, make cupcakes. You'd only need 2 cake mix boxes for 48 cupcakes--2 different flavors. Frost and decorate with some fun sprinkles.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
KatieKat
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!! My sister in law has her own cake shop, so she will be making ours! So that part is done. I will definitely use some of the drink ideas and app ideas! Especially the one for the fruit dip.

Any other recipes? I really appreciate the help!

Pop Century (twice!) Port Orleans Riverside (twice!) Saratoga Springs All Star Sports Beach Club Swan
Treehouse Villas
KatieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKat View Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas!!! My sister in law has her own cake shop, so she will be making ours! So that part is done. I will definitely use some of the drink ideas and app ideas! Especially the one for the fruit dip.

Any other recipes? I really appreciate the help!
I see you are in packer country. I don't know if this means ya'll are football fans or not. If so, how about a tailgating reception. You can do a grill out or chili, cornbread and baked potatoes. Have some pictures of your wedding around the tables and a few packers things as well.

OR

Because it is getting chilly especially up in packer country, how about a Jamica themed party. Put out some fresh flowers(purchase in from big box store like Sams) and have fresh fruit, some chilled shrimp or roasted meat, some special salad and a cake.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
ENSOCK
DIS Veteran

I just did a house warming party with finger foods. What I had was:
sausages in BBQ sauce.
Either cut up sausages or use little smokies. Put into crock pot with a jar of grape jelly and a bottle of BBQ sauce. Heat and serve.

Pork Roast in Crock pot over night. Take the Hawaiian rolls, add a slice of cheese then top with the shredded roast. These were awesome.

Spread a tortilla with the onion cream cheese, top with ham or turkey. roll up then slice. Serve with salsa. I did some of each.

Pasta salad, pizza dip and seven layer dip were also hits at the party.

Tina
ENSOCK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: