Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
bks9581
Earning My Ears

DVD player in car for 2 1/2 year old?

I was wondering what everyone's opinions are regarding DVD players in cars. I've always been against them, but with a toddler that hates her car seat and a 9 hour drive to Disney head of us, I'm wondering if it's crazy to not have one for the trip. Just wondering if there are still parents out there that haven't caved to the in-car DVD player and what coping mechanisms they use for a toddler who's had their fill of the car seat.

Thanks!
bks9581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

We have a 2 1/2 year old car seat hater and a DVD player. Best thing ever. Has totally changed our car trips for the better. So much better.
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
bks9581
Earning My Ears

I'm starting to think it might be necessary, but my hubby is not convinced. But then he's not the one that has to entertain her when she decides she's had enough.

Maybe Santa will bring her one for Christmas
Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Nine hours is a long time to expect a small toddler to sit still, with little way to entertain themselves. I would definitely use a DVD player for the trip. You can always make a rule that you only have it in the car for long trips.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
bks9581
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the thoughts. We usually end up caving and giving her an iPhone to play with, but if she's watching something, she invariably hits a button and we have to restart it for her. I figure, if we're already doing that, why not make it easier on ourselves and just get the DVD player.

Now time to begin - Mission Convince Hubby. Wish me luck
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Get the DVD player. You're right, he's not the one trying to entertain the toddler. Although, you could offer to drive while he does it.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks9581 View Post
I was wondering what everyone's opinions are regarding DVD players in cars. I've always been against them, but with a toddler that hates her car seat and a 9 hour drive to Disney head of us, I'm wondering if it's crazy to not have one for the trip. Just wondering if there are still parents out there that haven't caved to the in-car DVD player and what coping mechanisms they use for a toddler who's had their fill of the car seat.

Thanks!
I do not have the in car DVD, I have the portable DVD. My opinion is that is exactly what they were made for! We drive 18 hours to Gatlinburg, TN. I have DD9 and DS5. As you can imagine, they do not like the same things so I have a dual screen DVD player that can either play the same movie or two different ones. I don't really hear a peep out of them. Our "policy" is any drive over 4 hours and we bring the DVD player. As far as coping mechanisms for a toddler who's had their fill of the car seat, we take breaks for snacks/drinks and to run around. We keep a little ball in the car so we can play catch at the fast food place we stop at. I also bring a bag of "new" toys. Even the $1 can be a great if they have never seen them.

Have a great trip!
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
bks9581
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I do not have the in car DVD, I have the portable DVD. My opinion is that is exactly what they were made for! We drive 18 hours to Gatlinburg, TN. I have DD9 and DS5. As you can imagine, they do not like the same things so I have a dual screen DVD player that can either play the same movie or two different ones. I don't really hear a peep out of them. Our "policy" is any drive over 4 hours and we bring the DVD player. As far as coping mechanisms for a toddler who's had their fill of the car seat, we take breaks for snacks/drinks and to run around. We keep a little ball in the car so we can play catch at the fast food place we stop at. I also bring a bag of "new" toys. Even the $1 can be a great if they have never seen them.

Have a great trip!
Thanks! Love the idea of a bag of new toys. I will need to remember that. I think my hubby is afraid that once we go down that road, she will demand it on every car ride, but I like your idea of instituting a minimum number of hours for the DVD player to be brought along.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: