Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #76
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
UPDATE:

My frustration is growing. At the meeting last week, I managed to keep my focus on my kid, and his role in this -- with one exception. I shared that I'm concerned that we're 3/4 of the way through the marking period of a class which focuses exclusively on writing, and he hasn't had any graded writing samples returned with feedback he can learn from. At this point, the teacher has 1 essay test, 1 book review, 2 shorter narrative pieces, 1 longer personal narrative, and goodness knows how many journal entries that have been turned in and not returned. Other than the rough draft of the book review, which was handed back in early September, the only thing they've gotten back is multiple choice or short answer tests. This Thursday there is supposedly* a county-wide writing test, graded by the teacher, and I said that I would like him to have gone over at least one piece of feedback by then. The teacher promised that the book review, and the 2 shorter narratives (most similar to what's on the test) would be graded and passed out on Monday, giving kids 3 nights to review.

They weren't. Two of the three were graded, because the grades are posted, but they weren't returned so that kids could study and learn from their mistakes.

At what point do I take this up a step? Am I being unreasonable to ask that, before taking a major writing test, my kid gets some kind of feedback on his writing?

* I say supposedly, because the teacher confirmed that this test has been rescheduled twice. Twice now, my kid has chosen to stay home from football practice on Thursday night because they were told there was a big test on Friday so he could rest and study. Both times they came in Friday and were told the test was moved to the next Friday.
I would be taking this further...if my kid was missing something bc of this teacher's lack of communication I would not be happy.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #77
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Why is an 8th grader staying home from football practice for 1 test in 1 subject? This isn't a college final.

IMO that is over kill and if he has to do that in order to pass a simple test then maybe honors is to much for him

He has now had 2 weeks to review, why does he have to cram the night before?
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #78
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Why is an 8th grader staying home from football practice for 1 test in 1 subject? This isn't a college final.

IMO that is over kill and if he has to do that in order to pass a simple test then maybe honors is to much for him

You are something else.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #79
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
UPDATE:

My frustration is growing. At the meeting last week, I managed to keep my focus on my kid, and his role in this -- with one exception. I shared that I'm concerned that we're 3/4 of the way through the marking period of a class which focuses exclusively on writing, and he hasn't had any graded writing samples returned with feedback he can learn from. At this point, the teacher has 1 essay test, 1 book review, 2 shorter narrative pieces, 1 longer personal narrative, and goodness knows how many journal entries that have been turned in and not returned. Other than the rough draft of the book review, which was handed back in early September, the only thing they've gotten back is multiple choice or short answer tests. This Thursday there is supposedly* a county-wide writing test, graded by the teacher, and I said that I would like him to have gone over at least one piece of feedback by then. The teacher promised that the book review, and the 2 shorter narratives (most similar to what's on the test) would be graded and passed
out on Monday, giving kids 3 nights to review.

They weren't. Two of the three were graded, because the grades are posted, but they weren't returned so that kids could study and learn from their mistakes.
At what point do I take this up a step? Am I being unreasonable to ask that, before taking a major writing test, my kid gets some kind of feedback on his writing?

* I say supposedly, because the teacher confirmed that this test has been rescheduled twice. Twice now, my kid has chosen to stay home from football practice on Thursday night because they were told there was a big test on Friday so he could rest and study. Both times they came in Friday and were told the test was moved to the next Friday.
Now is the time. You are following the chain of command. If there has been no written work returned to the student by this point in the grading period, the principal needs to know.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #80
pumpkinmomma
Mouseketeer

I would look into getting your son put into a new class. there really is no excuse for a teacher to not get assignments back in a timely manner.
pumpkinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #81
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:

Wow, first the student isn't doing enough, now they are doing too much. If my kid was an honors student that was currently pulling a D in a class, you had better believe that studying for a big test in that class would be the priority. The fact that the teacher still hasn't given the test speaks volumes to how unorganized that teacher is.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #82
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:

Academics come before athletics. If he needs to stay home to prepare, that is what he should be doing.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #83
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Academics come before athletics. If he needs to stay home to prepare, that is what he should be doing.
Thank you. To be clear, it's up to my kid to decide when he needs to miss practice. If he does so, I'll support his decision, and I'm fine with it. In fact, I'm proud he has the maturity to make that decision, and glad he has a coach who shares our priorities and doesn't penalize players for missing for academic reasons. However, for him to miss practice because of a test announced at the last minute, and then have the test cancelled, is in my opinion unfortunate.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #84
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
You are something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
Wow, first the student isn't doing enough, now they are doing too much. If my kid was an honors student that was currently pulling a D in a class, you had better believe that studying for a big test in that class would be the priority. The fact that the teacher still hasn't given the test speaks volumes to how unorganized that teacher is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
You said everything I was about to post in response to Hannathy
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #85
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you. To be clear, it's up to my kid to decide when he needs to miss practice. If he does so, I'll support his decision, and I'm fine with it. In fact, I'm proud he has the maturity to make that decision, and glad he has a coach who shares our priorities and doesn't penalize players for missing for academic reasons. However, for him to miss practice because of a test announced at the last minute, and then have the test cancelled, is in my opinion unfortunate.
But if he has crammed twice for the test the night before why would he need to do this again? Shouldn't he know the material by now? I mean the point of school is not to short term memory a ton of info right before the test and forget it all 24 hours later. I would be worried about him not retaining the information.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #86
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
But if he has crammed twice for the test the night before why would he need to do this again? Shouldn't he know the material by now? I mean the point of school is not to short term memory a ton of info right before the test and forget it all 24 hours later. I would be worried about him not retaining the information.
The first time they were told about the test the day before, and that the teacher didn't know what was on the test, that it could cover "anything" that had been studied this quarter. So, he chose to stay home and review the notes from everything they've studied so far, and the novel they read.

The second time they were told on Wednesday or Thursday that it was primarily a grammar test, so he studied that specifically. Then on Friday at the meeting he and I were told that it was a mix of grammar and a writing sample. That's when I asked specifically for some of his writing to be returned so he could review the feedback. If he gets it back then he'll study by reviewing the information. He won't miss football though this time, as he doesn't have practice on Weds.

So yes, he's studied, but not effectively because of the lack of information.

I should add that this timeline mostly comes from what the teacher told me. When my kid initially told me "we have a test tomorrow, it's a big portion of our grade, the teacher doesn't know what's on it so he says there's no point in studying and there are no retakes". I accused him of not listening well. Turns out that's actually what was said.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #87
Piper
DIS Veteran

I would talk to the administrator as soon as possible. I would give lack of feedback as the major problem. How can a child improve writing if they don't know what needs improvement! I retired from teaching and would NEVER do this to a class!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #88
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

No papers today and my son reports that the test has been moved UP to tomorrow. I think I will cc the principal on my follow up email.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #89
chager
In the end you will feel better about it
I HATED that thing!
There would have to be oxygen waiting for me at the end!

Time to go to the principal! This teacher is doing your child a disservice. Sounds like you have a son very much like my son. Has a great head on his shoulders and knows how to make good decisions. Sorry you have to deal with a situation like this. My son attended a private school, online school, small rural high school, and a large suburban high school during his high school years. He did not always have great teachers but they did make sure he had the necessary tools for tests.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #90
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree that I'd move him and/or take it to the principal. That is not acceptable that he knows your concerns and still has not taken any steps he agreed to. As long as DS is sure the papers weren't returned & he just didn't bring it home, I'd want DS moved.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: