Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 15,722

You used the term "we" a lot. How much do you help him with? Honestly, I haven't seen an assignment for dd16 or ds14 in years (ds is medicated for ADD). Now, DH has helped on some math, and they've gone to teachers for extra help, and I almost needed to get dd a tutor for AP Chem this year, but they take honors courses for a reason. We have no websites to go to for assignments - the kids need to write them down. I don't know if they're written on the board or verbal - it's up to the teacher.

Is he your only child? The fact that you "let" him do a rough draft without your assistance seems odd for an 8th grade student. Maybe you help him too much at home, and he has a hard time managing on his own?
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked
 
okeydokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 8,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
He says that he asked, and didn't get an answer, but he's a pretty shy kid so I'm not sure how well he expressed his question. I'm not going to assume my kid's retelling is accurate there, so I suggested that he put the question in an email. He did so, writing it through the school's online system which meant that the email and reply came to my email. The teacher never replied.
I just noticed this. This is not acceptable.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
You used the term "we" a lot. How much do you help him with? Honestly, I haven't seen an assignment for dd16 or ds14 in years (ds is medicated for ADD). Now, DH has helped on some math, and they've gone to teachers for extra help, and I almost needed to get dd a tutor for AP Chem this year, but they take honors courses for a reason. We have no websites to go to for assignments - the kids need to write them down. I don't know if they're written on the board or verbal - it's up to the teacher.

Is he your only child? The fact that you "let" him do a rough draft without your assistance seems odd for an 8th grade student. Maybe you help him too much at home, and he has a hard time managing on his own?
I gave a pretty clear description of the ways in which I do and don't support him above. In general, if he's got a test, we talk a little about it and he lets me know if there's something he doesn't understand. Often he'll send me an email at work saying "When you get home, I'd like you to go over slope intercept form with me", and then a while later "Never mind, I googled slope intercept and watched the Khan academy video, got it!"

I do ask to see his papers before he hands them in. In most subjects I might end up pointing out some missing commas or making a suggestion that he look at a specific sentence again. Ordinarily, I'd have read the review and said "Kiddo, this is a summary not a review. A review needs to give an support an opinion" in this case I didn't because I figured the teacher would give that feedback.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!
 
Scurvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rocket City
Posts: 4,289

My son had a teacher like that recently and it was horribly frustrating for him and for me! In my opinion, if the class is having to retake tests multiple times, the problem likely lies with the teacher and not the students. That said, I would be very careful to approach the teacher as though you think the problem lies with your son's hearing or some other factor rather than the with teacher herself. My son is also quite shy and nonconfrontational and has trouble asking his teachers about things like this. He did it anyway and like your son, didn't get much of a response from the teacher. I never did talk to her because my son really wanted to handle it himself, and I still sort of regret that. The lack of clear communication from that teacher led to a very stressful and frustrating year for my son and grades which were lower than he was accustomed to.

Oddly, the two worst teachers my son has had were both teaching honors classes. I honestly think in those cases, the weaker teachers were assigned to those classes because the principal thought the stronger students would have a better chance of getting through a class under those teachers than the other students would have. I'm still angry about it, because one of them was completely inept and shouldn't have been teaching anyone at all.
__________________
Scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.
 
Piglets Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania....way too far north of the Mouse!
Posts: 7,372

Good luck with your meeting today. As you said, he was in honors last year too, and is in other honors classes, and isn't having these issues, so it does seem to be the teacher (also sounds like other students are experiencing the same thing) Hopefully you can get more clarification of her expectations by asking what you DS can to to turn things around. Make sure to let her know this is the only class where he is having issues. As others have said, you don't want to sound like you are blaming her, or put her on the defense. By askind what DS can do to help himself, she still has to give you some feedbback/insight. I would also mention the unanswered email, and if she blows that off, I'd got to the guidance counselor, principal, or whoever would handle issues like that at his school.
__________________
DH Me DS ,13 DD,10
Piglets Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

 
badblackpug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,086

I think, given the big slip in grades you should definitely meet with the teacher and figure out what the problem is, but I'm thinking maybe this teacher has a teaching style that is different from what your son is used to. In that, in past classes the teachers were handing out study guides, or giving handouts stating what material would be on the test, and what to review. It seems like this teacher is more verbal and she may say to the class, "We are having a test on chapter 3-6 on Friday," and she expects the students to write it down and figure out what they need to review. It doesn't sound like she relies to heavily on study guides, rubrics, or handouts.

Possibly the class is loud, or more disorganized than others and your son is missing some of the things that are being shared, or maybe he is having trouble keeping up. It would be helpful if you could find out if other students are having this issue, too.

I know that my daughter is a sophomore, and she doesn't get handouts or study guides. They are, essentially, told when the test will be and what it will cover. They are expected to write it down and prepare accordingly. She is not in honors/AP classes.
__________________
badblackpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
disykat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Washington State
Posts: 17,266

He's doing well and knows what's going on in all his other classes. I think you have a valid reason for being worried that there's a teacher/student disconnect here.

I hope your conversation goes well!
__________________
DL - 1966,1974,2007 WDW 1987,
WDW/BRB 12/90 Honeymoon, DW/DCL 07/01 family 10th Ann, WDW 12/10 family 20th anniversary
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,544

I want to add that I do think that part of the problem is my kid's skills. We moved into this district between 5th and 6th, and I think his elementary education was lacking in grammar. There's more grammar in 8th than in 6th and 7th, and so he might be missing some underlying skills. It's just hard to know how to address that when I can't get a clear sense of what they're studying. I'm happy to hire a tutor or buy an online program, or work with him but I'd need a better sense on exactly what to teach.

Badblackpug, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse a little, but you say your kid isn't given materials, but then reference reviewing chapters 3 - 6. To me, a textbook takes the place of a study guide or handouts. He doesn't have a textbook for English, or most of his other subjects. He does have a novel that they're reading, but nothing else.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

 
badblackpug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I want to add that I do think that part of the problem is my kid's skills. We moved into this district between 5th and 6th, and I think his elementary education was lacking in grammar. There's more grammar in 8th than in 6th and 7th, and so he might be missing some underlying skills. It's just hard to know how to address that when I can't get a clear sense of what they're studying. I'm happy to hire a tutor or buy an online program, or work with him but I'd need a better sense on exactly what to teach.

Badblackpug, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse a little, but you say your kid isn't given materials, but then reference reviewing chapters 3 - 6. To me, a textbook takes the place of a study guide or handouts. He doesn't have a textbook for English, or most of his other subjects. He does have a novel that they're reading, but nothing else.
I was only using that as an example. I didn't mean it concretely. What I meant is that they are not given printed handouts or study guides that cover what will be on a test. They are told, verbally, in class, "there will be a test on Friday on X,Y, and Z," they are expected to write that information down and decide what they need to review.

...and I did say that there is a problem, and I did say that I think a meeting with the teacher is in order, but that this may be a "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" situation. It may be that the teacher isn't terribly good and imparting this knowledge to the children, and it may be that because your son is not used to this teaching style he is missing things. ...but I will tell you as they advance in grades this style is much more common than giving out handouts and study guides.

Maybe your son is a visual learner and needs to see things written down. I am. I will forget almost anything you tell me verbally, but I remember, quite clearly, anything I read.

I am trying to say, maybe what a PP said, and listen to what the teacher thinks is the issue, instead of thinking that the issue is all the teacher.
__________________
badblackpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #25
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I want to add that I do think that part of the problem is my kid's skills. We moved into this district between 5th and 6th, and I think his elementary education was lacking in grammar. There's more grammar in 8th than in 6th and 7th, and so he might be missing some underlying skills. It's just hard to know how to address that when I can't get a clear sense of what they're studying. I'm happy to hire a tutor or buy an online program, or work with him but I'd need a better sense on exactly what to teach.

Badblackpug, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse a little, but you say your kid isn't given materials, but then reference reviewing chapters 3 - 6. To me, a textbook takes the place of a study guide or handouts. He doesn't have a textbook for English, or most of his other subjects. He does have a novel that they're reading, but nothing else.

My DS in 8th gr doesn't have a CA book either. They usually just have novels or plays etc. They just finished The Twelfth Night. There were no handouts or study guides given. They had copies of the play. From 7th on I don't remember my DD ever having a book for CA, even her AP classes.

I still think you are to involved for an 8th grader and that he needs to learn to ask when he doesn't know what is on a test or when it is. I also wouldn't be reading every assignment he turns in. Doesn't he use spell check? Don't they do a lot of work in class that he needs to know how to check himself. Through High School and College he is going to have a lot of different teachers with different styles so he should learn now how to handle them while the stakes aren't high. And that means keep asking if you don't know and they don't answer you.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron
 
Disney  Doll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Too far from WDW!! :(
Posts: 28,774

Can one teacher's teaching style be so different that a kid who does well and works reasonably independently in every other class is having such a hard time in one particular class AND others in the class are on their 4th retake of a test????

I don't think that speaks to a different teaching style. I think that speaks to no teaching style.

And no I don't have kids. And yes I generally do support teachers on these types of threads.

But to me, a kid who is in honors classes for other classes & is doing fine with perhaps some minimal parental assistance, shouldn't be having this much trouble with someone who has a different "teaching style".

I think you're wise to go in and chat OP.
__________________
Disney Doll
Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.
Stop telling your God how big the storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big your God is.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!
 
PollyannaMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,605

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
...It seems like this teacher is more verbal and she may say to the class, "We are having a test on chapter 3-6 on Friday," and she expects the students to write it down and figure out what they need to review. It doesn't sound like she relies to heavily on study guides, rubrics, or handouts...
He or she may very well be verbal, but teachers are specifically taught to go beyond our own styles to reach all kinds of learners, and I always expect to give instructions both out loud and on the board. So I think it's a legitimate concern, OP, and good that you are going in to get more information. It sounds like you already plan to have a team attitude, and you know how not to approach it, so I think it will go well. You may not get everything your DS is used to, but I expect at least some of the puzzles will be solved. Best of luck!
__________________
"It's all about balance."
"Look for the good in people. Make rainbows. Play the glad game."
"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." - Carson (Downton Abbey)

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!
 
mamacatnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Texas Y'all by way of N. Nevada
Posts: 9,663

I think a meeting is a good idea - something here is broken. Is it your kids communications skills or the instructors style or lack of information or lack of understanding? Whatever it is, a D for a good student is a trigger that something is not going well.

Not answering the email is unacceptable, however, I have learned that email like everything else is not always reliable.

My DD is in 8th grade, we received a syllabus from every teacher telling us how to reach them, how the grading worked, how to obtain information, ask questions etc.

I agree that kids do need to learn to navigate, however, I think often here on the Dis we tend to push that concept to an extreme in our comments but in reality most of us as parents would not actually subject out kids to such harsh treatment.

The only advice I have is that I would want my child present at the meeting and I would go in with a "I need your help" type attitude not a confrontational attitude.

Good luck, I will be curious to hear your impressions of the instructor and how the meeting went
__________________
MamaCatNV
DH55 Me47DS 24 DD15
Baxter & Simon Gryffindor The Great Pyreneese
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom

Last edited by mamacatnv; 10-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
SpecialK
DIS Veteran
 
SpecialK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
My DS in 8th gr doesn't have a CA book either. They usually just have novels or plays etc. They just finished The Twelfth Night. There were no handouts or study guides given. They had copies of the play. From 7th on I don't remember my DD ever having a book for CA, even her AP classes.

I still think you are to involved for an 8th grader and that he needs to learn to ask when he doesn't know what is on a test or when it is. I also wouldn't be reading every assignment he turns in. Doesn't he use spell check? Don't they do a lot of work in class that he needs to know how to check himself. Through High School and College he is going to have a lot of different teachers with different styles so he should learn now how to handle them while the stakes aren't high. And that means keep asking if you don't know and they don't answer you.
I taught middle school English for 15 years. Some students had no problem asking for help and clarification, some would rather die than approach a teacher. Eighth-graders are all over the map as far as maturity levels go, and to assume that all kids can work with no guidance because yours can is inaccurate.

My sons are currently in their freshman and junior years. The junior was not a very good writer when he was younger and I proofread all of his papers in eighth grade. Spellcheck doesn't correct for syntax, grammar and punctuation. He's now in honors and AP classes and quite independent.

OP, I don't think you're expecting too much. I would definitely be asking for clarification from the teacher.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

The things that stood out to me from the OP were the 'he says the class is loud and it's hard to hear.' and a couple other things but primarily that.

What does he do about that? Where does he sit? Has he asked to move closer to the front? Does he say 'I'm sorry, I didn't hear that,' etc.?

You say he seems to have no notes - is that related? If he's shy and isn't going to say anything AND can't hear the teacher, well, hence this, I'd think.

The other things were that there was a test on the book they're reading but he didn't know it was coming up so he didn't study. They're reading the book - what did he need to study for a test about the book they're reading? I mean I'd understand terms to review or rules or whatever, but lots of teachers do pop quizzes or whatever on the book or play, because the kids are supposed to be reading it.

In addition, the grammar thing - I don't know, obviously, whether it's that the teacher isn't teaching anything or whether he's lost because he didn't have a lot of grammar before and she's assuming kids did. However, I think both are possible.

Even if this is mostly her teaching style or her being odd, I think a discussion about him speaking up is in order because he's certainly not going to always have teachers who are hand holders and who send study guides and go over everything that will be on the test and etc. That's definitely more grammar schoolish
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.